How to add a receipt to a journal transaction?

FilmmakerFilmmaker Member Posts: 9

Hi community
I found out in this forum that to account for pre-trade expenses made with my personal credit card, I had to create journal transaction for these expenses with a debit/credit balance. Great.
But where does the receipt goes for that transaction?
I couldn't find any way.
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance.
Best

edited May 10, 2020 in Accounting Technical Support

Comments

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Filmmaker! Thanks for reaching out here. Can you let me know what kind of receipt you were expecting to be created from this transaction? Or are you uploading the receipt from the transaction into Wave as well?

• FilmmakerFilmmaker Member Posts: 9

Hey ConnorM, I would be uploading the receipts into waves and try to add it to the journal transaction ideally to keep trace of it in the system.
    But the customer service answered my question saying it was technically impossible at the moment, so unless you have a workaround, I guess the best option is to keep the receipt in a folder out of the system, in case there is an audit from HMRC some day?

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

You can always still upload receipts into our software @Filmmaker, and you technically don't need to 'push' them to accounting -- however, the intention behind the Receipts feature is that you would add them to your accounting. Potentially in the near future we will have something implemented that will allow you to attach receipts to specific transactions (including Journal Transactions).

• FilmmakerFilmmaker Member Posts: 9

Thanks JamieD, that's why I would probably not use the Journal Transactions feature in this case but create a debit expense (with receipt attached) and a debit Owner Investment/Drawing for each purchase, also because it will be easier to track how much the company owes me. :)