Wave Connect imported all transactions as Deposits instead of Withdrawal

ktrowktrow Member Posts: 9

I just used Wave Connect to import spreadsheets of older credit card statements that it was not able to pull from banking and all of the transactions that were supposed to be withdrawals (expenses) are showing up in Wave as deposits (income). Firstly, how can I batch change all of these since I don't see any option under the Transactions tab and more importantly, how can I avoid this when using Wave Connect?

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @ktrow

Often times the CSV requires some reformatting before an upload may work. If you haven't checked out the troubleshooting your CSV article in our help center I'd recommend doing so!

Typically the simpler your CSV format is the better. Below is a template of what our system should upload smoothly. Expenses and income can be in one column but differentiated by a negative ( - ) symbol.

• GKTAXGKTAX Member Posts: 7

how do i change the deposits to withdrawal for multiple transactions?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @GKTAX , there's no way to bulk change deposits to withdrawals so these do have to be done individually by clicking into the transactions and changing it.

• lervinlervin Member Posts: 4

I'm trying to import transactions with Connect but it just can't seem to figure out debits and credits. I've downloaded the protected excel worksheet and duplicated my transactions exactly, imported them into the google sheet with connect add on and I'm still getting all transactions as credits. My CSV has Date, Description, Money In, Money Out and everything validates then on import it simply keeps making everything a credit.
    It's terribly annoying that I've now done this multiple times and spent several hours and it's still not correct. Short of going into all 1250 transactions and individually correcting each one how do I fix it.
    Yes, I have troubleshot my csv to the best of my ability.

Qais in support actually helped with the issue. The debits were posting as a negative so when it imported a negative in it converted it to all credits.
    I suggested you should list that tip in your import tips.
    Thanks a lot

• ktrowktrow Member Posts: 9

@BarsinA & @lervin How was this corrected since all of my deposits were posting as withdrawals? Is there a solution for this upon import? I had formatted the spreadsheets as outlined in the Wave Connect utility.

@ktrow As I mentioned in my post it was simply transposing the debit to a credit as it was listed in my document. I simply reformatted the cells which removed the negative "-" and that resolved it. Now they are posting in black instead of green (credit) on the transaction log.

One more tip I just realized and don't think I saw anywhere- it appears there is a 565 transaction limit per upload or something about my system limits it to that (not my system :))

• ktrowktrow Member Posts: 9

@lervin said:
    @ktrow As I mentioned in my post it was simply transposing the debit to a credit as it was listed in my document. I simply reformatted the cells which removed the negative "-" and that resolved it. Now they are posting in black instead of green (credit) on the transaction log.

@lervin Thanks, but all of my transactions in most of the spreadsheets uploaded through Wave Connect had no negative "-" and they still posted as deposits.

• figcos1000figcos1000 Member Posts: 1

After reconnecting my bank account after a couple of months, all the withdrawals are being listed as deposits (in green). How do I fix this and are all future transactions going to be wrongly categorized in the same way? Thanks.

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @figcos1000 , thanks for your message! To confirm, are you referring to a bank connection from Banking > Connected Accounts? OR, are you referring to a CSV upload via Wave Connect or Accounting > Transactions?

Either way, can you confirm what the account type is for the account which is appearing backwards for credits and debits? To confirm, this is how debits/credits appear in Wave:

Asset accounts
    Asset accounts include bank accounts like checking or savings:

• Deposits are debits. On the transactions page, this will be a green transaction.
    • Withdrawals are credits. On the transactions page, this will be a black transaction.

Liability accounts
    Loans and credit cards are liability accounts.

• Received payments (transactions "paying off" your credit card) are debits. On the transactions page, this will be a green transaction.
    • Expenses/purchases are credits. On the transactions page, this will be a black transaction.

If your accounts are the correct type and are appearing the opposite of what you see above, we can definitely troubleshoot that with you, but we first need to confirm if this is a bank connection or a transaction upload, as the troubleshooting for each is different. Let us know and we can go from there!

• MarinaGraceMarinaGrace Member Posts: 1

@CallieP said:
    Hi @figcos1000 , thanks for your message! To confirm, are you referring to a bank connection from Banking > Connected Accounts? OR, are you referring to a CSV upload via Wave Connect or Accounting > Transactions?

Either way, can you confirm what the account type is for the account which is appearing backwards for credits and debits? To confirm, this is how debits/credits appear in Wave:

Asset accounts
    Asset accounts include bank accounts like checking or savings:

• Deposits are debits. On the transactions page, this will be a green transaction.
    • Withdrawals are credits. On the transactions page, this will be a black transaction.

Liability accounts
    Loans and credit cards are liability accounts.

• Received payments (transactions "paying off" your credit card) are debits. On the transactions page, this will be a green transaction.
    • Expenses/purchases are credits. On the transactions page, this will be a black transaction.

If your accounts are the correct type and are appearing the opposite of what you see above, we can definitely troubleshoot that with you, but we first need to confirm if this is a bank connection or a transaction upload, as the troubleshooting for each is different. Let us know and we can go from there!

Hi CallieP,

We are having a problem where our connected bank (through Banking > Connected Accounts) is importing transactions that are opposite. Withdrawals are being recorded as deposits and deposits are being recorded as withdrawals. We used to use Azlo, but that is being shut down so we switched to BlueVine. With Azlo transactions were imported correctly, but so far with BlueVine all of them are reversed. Is this something you can help us with? We'd love if it started pulling them in correctly in the future, so we don't have to keep manually checking them and switching them over one by one.

Thanks!

• AlexanderGAlexanderG Member Posts: 1

I am new to Wave and setting up accounts for 1st Q 2021. I have 3 accounts at HSBC. The credit card account is importing all expenses as deposits (green), and payments are showing as withdrawals. I tried various formats .qfx, .ofx, and manually changed the amounts in .csv format to try to the opposite of what they should be. No matter what, expenses are still showing as deposits. I had to change each one separately in Wave to get the information to show correctly. Any advice?

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @AlexanderG,

What I would suggest is to try using our template .CSV file, which can be found in this article, and copying and pasting the data into the relevant columns. I recommend using the 4 column format, as this clearly shows which transactions are deposits and expenses.

I also recommend taking a look at our Help Centre article on troubleshooting .CSV uploads, as they can be a little tricky!