Book vs Tax Depreciation in Wave

farmermarkerfarmermarker Member Posts: 2

I've read much about book vs tax depreciation and some how I am still left confused.

My understanding that Wave can only be used for one type of depreciation book or tax.

My tax software and a spreadsheet keeps track tax depreciation so I am looking to use Wave for book depreciation.

Are there best practices to follow when depreciating assets? As a farmer, some used equipment barely depreciates, can that be reflected in my books in Wave?

Thanks for your insights!

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @farmermarker

We do have a method to keep track of depreciation in Wave. Check out this article on DEPRECIATION IN WAVE and let us know if you have any followup questions :smile:

• farmermarkerfarmermarker Member Posts: 2

Thanks BarsinA. I did read through that. My questions is how to calculate the depreciation. Should I be using the same Declining Value formula as needed for my income tax or should I consider using the Straight Line depreciation formula? Thanks for your advice.

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @farmermarker , thanks for getting back. We here in the Community team aren't accountants, and so we can't offer advice on 'what to do' - we focus on 'how to do'. So if you're unsure about which type of depreciation you should use, I would recommend reaching out to an accounting professional to be sure!