Options

Balance of an account

golabekpgolabekp Member Posts: 14

Hi

I am trying to retrieve balances for the chart of accounts. I am using the following query however I cant seem to get the amount.

query($businessId: ID!, $page: Int!, $pageSize: Int!) {
business(id: $businessId) {
id
accounts(page: $page, pageSize: $pageSize, types: [INCOME]) {
pageInfo {
currentPage
totalPages
totalCount
}
edges {
node {
id
name
description
displayId
type {
name
value
}
subtype {
name
value
}
normalBalanceType
isArchived
}
}
}
}
}

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    RobVGRobVG Member Posts: 53 admin

Hi @golabekp,

We don't currently have a mechanism that exposes the current balance of an account or the change of balance over a time period.

I don't have an exact timeline, but within the next 4 weeks I hope we will be able to expose the current balance as of the current date of the API request. Something like:

query ($businessId: ID!, $page: Int!, $pageSize: Int!) {
          business(id: $businessId) {
            id
            accounts(page: $page, pageSize: $pageSize, types: [INCOME]) {
              pageInfo {
                currentPage
                totalPages
                totalCount
              }
              edges {
                node {
                  id
                  balance
                  balanceInBusinessCurrency
                  name
                  description
                  displayId
                  type {
                    name
                    value
                  }
                  subtype {
                    name
                    value
                  }
                  normalBalanceType
                  isArchived
                }
              }
            }
          }
        }

• Options
    golabekpgolabekp Member Posts: 14

Hi @RobVG

Thanks so much, good luck.

• Options
    fladamsfladams Member Posts: 3

Hey @RobVG - do you happen to have an updated timeline on when the we'll be able to retrieve an accounts balance from the API? Do you have plans to allow the API to provide balances for set date ranges?

• Options

Hi @fladams,

Still hoping to get the current balance of an account shipped this month (August). This feature won't include report like functionality that captures a balance at a specific date or change over time.

• Options

Hey @RobVG,

As you can imagine that's pretty limiting. Do you have any plans on when you'll be adding this functionality to the API? I have customers that would love to be able to connect their Wave account to my product but cannot without this feature.

• Options

Are you looking for something like a Balance Sheet or Profit and Loss Statement? We have these as reports, but not available via an API at this time unfortunately.

• Options

Hi @golabekp and @fladams,

An update to the API has been released. The Account type now has a balance and balanceInBusinessCurrency field that may address your requests.

Hope that can help :)

• Options

Hey @RobVG thanks for the update. Is there any way to specify a date range that will define that value? How does that value differ between debit/credit and open/close, etc. We gather the chart of account trial balances on a month by month basis for the entirety of our users lifetime so we have to go quite a ways into the past.

• Options

The functionality released only reflects the current balance as of the current time of the query. There is no functionality currently that allows for a date range to be specified or determining the open/close values. It is definitely something where we have received past feature requests and hope to work towards, but I have no ETA to share. An account has a field named normalBalanceType (DEBIT vs CREDIT) and can help inform how to interpret the numeric balance value.