How to categorize mobile deposit?

OldtimeOldtime Member Posts: 2

When someone pays by check, it's recorded manually. In transactions, it shows as "payment for invoice."
When I make a mobile deposit with the check (upload a picture of the check and amount to the bank app), it creates another transaction, which is a duplicate.
I don't think I should delete it bc it's on my bank statement.
How should these mobile deposits be categorized? Thank you!
Reconciliation is my challenge!

Bonus points if you know the answer for when this happens w Venmo transfers :)

Comments

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Oldtime! Great question here. In order to make sure we're getting full context around your particular scenario here, could you please provide a screenshot of that duplicated transaction? I'd love to be able to offer as much context as possible with regards to your exact situation :)

• tsmithtsmith Member Posts: 22
    Exact same question.

I manually record payment from the customer and the invoice is marked as paid. Then a couple days later my bank transactions sync as the check deposit shows on my bank transaction list.
    Now I have duplicate transactions:
    1. The manual payment for the invoice
    2. The banks “mobile deposit” transaction.

What’s the process for marking these as the same thing? I just started syncing because wave decided to drop the receipt feature, but this just now creates more manual work with these duplicates.

Is the thought process that I DONT record a customer payment, and that I should wait until the check I deposited shows on my bank transactions days later?
  • OldtimeOldtime Member Posts: 2

tmith,
    This is what I have been doing exactly. It takes a few more days to create and mark the invoice as paid but it much less confusing.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @tsmith !

You got it! To save yourself some time and to avoid duplicates in your account, your best bet is to wait until your deposit transactions are imported via your bank connection and then categorize them as Payment received for an invoice in Wave > the invoice in question. With this workflow, your invoice will automatically be marked as "Paid" on your Sales > Invoices page.

edited April 21, 2021
  • tsmithtsmith Member Posts: 22
    That means 3-4 days delay I sending receipts to clients, and that seems too long to me.