How to upload journal transactions?

n0stress4men0stress4me Member Posts: 9

I'm trying to upload journal transactions into Wave and have not been able to find out how to do it. I've read through the forums and nothing.

I'm not trying to do anything fancy. Just one journal transaction (not a simple deposit or withdrawal) with some debits and credits in it like the following:

Debit Bank Account
Credit Realized Gains/Losses
Credit Trading Securities

Is this possible? I'm willing to format my input data as a CSV or any other supported format. I've tried the CSV upload, but it doesn't seem to be able to create journal transactions unless I'm missing something.

The ultimate goal is to be able to bulk upload journal transactions instead of having to manually (and painfully) enter them one at a time in the Web app.

Please help!!

edited August 26, 2020 in Accounting Technical Support

Comments

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @n0stress4me , you can use Wave Connect to upload a bulk Journal Transaction but to be clear, each Wave Connect upload to your account is a single Journal Transaction post so it still can take some time to use.

• n0stress4men0stress4me Member Posts: 9

Thanks for that @AlexL ! I kept reading about Wave Connect but didn't think it could do journal transactions. I connected it and will be trying it out.
    One thing I noticed though is that it seems like you're only able to upload one transaction at a time. It would be nice to have a bulk upload facility.

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi there @n0stress4me , thanks for getting back. To clarify, when using Wave Connect for journals, you'd be entering the sum total of every journal you have as a single line item per account, making it a bulk upload of one single transaction that contains all the totals of many smaller transactions.

Unfortunately, that's not super useful. It's quicker just to copy/paste into Wave one-by-one.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @n0stress4me

If you want to use a handy workaround, you can duplicate the Wave connect spreadsheet and continue to add journal transactions. All you need to do is validate and upload each of these transactions and it should produce them somewhat easily.

Hi @Barsin, thanks for the workaround.
    I had thought about that myself, but honestly, that's pretty cumbersome.
    What I'm doing instead is just duplicating similar journal transactions within Wave itself and just updating the amounts. It's not a solution, but is faster than using Wave Connect.

Thanks,
    Ali