Receipts with a journal transaction

lesaewlesaew Member Posts: 3
If I pay my liability insurance with personal funds and upload the receipt. How do I record that as a journal transaction? The receipts page does not give that option or am I doing this wrong?

Comments

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hey there @lesaew , thanks for your post! You're correct, when uploading a receipt, there is only the option to make it an expense transaction. When you select the account from which the expense came, and the expense category, Wave automatically does a double entry expense transaction, so both accounts involved in the transaction will be automatically credited/debited as required.

That said, if you'd like to upload receipts into Wave and also do journals for the associated expenses, what you could do as a workaround is upload the receipts, but not post them to Accounting. This way, you'd have them on file, but there would be no associated transaction. Then, you could make your journal transaction and note that it is associated with X receipt!

• lesaewlesaew Member Posts: 3
    Thank you CallieP for the help. I am new to accounting and just started with wave apps. If wave apps automatically does the double entry is it necessary to use the journal transaction feature for expenses paid with personal funds?
  • CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @lesaew , thanks for getting back! You don't need to use a journal entry, no - but it's totally an option if that's what you'd prefer! Check out this Help Centre article on accounting for personal transactions, as well.