Credit card - income vs expense

PeterBPeterB Member Posts: 11

I get soooo confused by my credit card account: when I put in a refund that was paid to my credit card, it takes my balance into the 'minus' zone, as opposed to adding it.

I have entered it as a deposit, and the amount is listed in green - why does it subtract it?

(Sorry if stoopid question...)

edited September 10, 2020 in Accounting Technical Support

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @PeterB

Credits and debits work differently for different types of accounts. When you put a refund onto your credit card, you're essentially paying the balance and decreasing this amount.

For example:

Balance = $0
    I make a purchase for $100

Balance = + $100

I get a refund for $100 and another refund for $20
    Balance = - $20

Hope this makes sense!

• PeterBPeterB Member Posts: 11

Thanks, for replying, @Barsin - so to put it simply, it works in the opposite direction from the way a normal account works?

edited September 10, 2020
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @PeterB

Technically Wave is following general accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Your account may display something differently however I know that some banks try to make it easier for people to read. In general accounting principles, this is typically how debits and credits work.

• PeterBPeterB Member Posts: 11

@Barsin - much appreciated.

• EricSkillerEricSkiller Member Posts: 1

OK makes sense but how do u categorize it the if it sees it as a income when i bought fuel for my vehicle as a expense?

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @EricSkiller !

If a transaction is recorded as a withdrawal or a deposit by mistake, you can head over to your Accounting > Transactions page, select the transaction in question and edit it accordingly.

edited November 12, 2020