Time Tracking?

jgold723jgold723 Member Posts: 15

I'm looking to switch from Quickbooks to Wave. I need to be able to track time and expenses on a project/client basis. Can I do this in Wave? If not, do people have recommendations for a free tool (either online, or Mac-compatible desktop)?

Comments

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @jgold723 ! I'm happy to hear that you are interested in using Wave.

In Wave, you can create an invoice and enter the amount of hours worked on a project to determine the amount/cost. The amount of hours worked can be adjusted as well since invoices have live links so any changes made will be added to previously sent invoices. Below I attached a screenshot as an example and visual aid.

edited October 1, 2020
  • jgold723jgold723 Member Posts: 15

Hey, thanks. But I need a way to track each segment of time for an invoice, i.e. the 15 minutes here, the 2 hours there, etc. Then add them all up for an invoice. It doesn't appear that Wave has a function for that.

• AccountsProAccountsPro Member Posts: 103 ✭✭

@jgold723 - I understand what you need. That system you are describing has been used since the manual timesheet days and its important for billing clients correctly. I haven't seen this feature so far, but I am also interested to see if this is a built-in feature in Wave.

In the meantime, maybe you could check out the integrations - I see Google Sheets integrates with Wave. I haven't tried it - maybe it could be useful for creating time tracking reports?
    https://accounting.waveapps.com/integrations/9681918/

Hmmmmm, that's a possibility. Thanks for the tip!

So I went to check out integrations and I saw Blue Camaroo, which would seem to be the solution I'm looking for. But so far no one has mentioned it, so I'm wondering if it's not a good solution?

• AccountsProAccountsPro Member Posts: 103 ✭✭

@jgold723 Hmm I must say I have never heard of Blue Camaroo. https://www.bluecamroo.com/time-tracking-tools is their website. I see they have a free trial. I don't believe you can ever really tell if an app is right for you until you use it and test it using your own processes. I recommend give it a test drive independently for a day and see if it works before committing to integrating?

• EKtullisEKtullis Member Posts: 1

I want to switch from QB to Wave. However, I'm a service industry and charge for my time. I need a way to enter time spent, the description of the service, and the cost for each activity. I then need to be able to add activities to an invoice. Anything like this??

• SherryLJonesSherryLJones Member Posts: 2

You might take a look at "Workinghours" It is in the Windows store. Also for Android and Apple.
    I have been using it for a year or so. I have 15 clients that I visit and service each week. A few taps and I start and stop recording time and what I am doing for each site that I visit. It sync's to the desktop. At Invoice time, I run a report (excel) and enter the info on each invoice. There is a Pro version for a few dollars but the free version works for most. It takes a little time to get your head around what it calls tasks and tags but once you learn it and get it set up it works great. I also keep track of 3 employee's time too using it.
    Mike

• AndyRAndyR Member Posts: 3

Hi all. I'm thinking about building a mobile app (iOS / Android) for time tracking as I'm also in need of this feature for my consulting business. As we do web and mobile app development, we could definitely build something. I'm wondering if we do, would your company be interested in helping fund the cost to develop and then use it for free? Let me know your thoughts! You can reach me direct at andyr@64htm.com

• seanacseanac Member Posts: 2

It's ridiculous that at this point Wave doesn't have project time tracking. QuickBooks, Freshbooks, Zoho, ZipBooks (what I'm using now) all have it. This is the one thing that is preventing me from moving over to Wave.

• cmax13007cmax13007 Member Posts: 1

@seanac said:
    It's ridiculous that at this point Wave doesn't have project time tracking. QuickBooks, Freshbooks, Zoho, ZipBooks (what I'm using now) all have it. This is the one thing that is preventing me from moving over to Wave.

I second this motion - I really would love to switch to wave. It has everything you need in one spot, personal, and multiple business profiles with one login. Please add time tracking and projects to clients. This would really set your products offerings appart from everyone else as mentioned above.

-CMAX