Vendor bill with non-refunded credit balance

justdavejustdave Member Posts: 15

I received a bill from a vendor that has a credit balance on it. I want to record the bill because we track different line items in it to different internal accounts when it gets paid (so I will have credits to the various accounts the refunds applied to). But the vendor did not issue us a refund, the credit is being applied to our next bill. So the amount due is actually $0 (and our next bill will show the credit carried forward as the first line item). What's the proper way to account for this without screwing up my balances?

Comments

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @justdave !

To be frank, Wave isn't currently designed to handle bill credit balances I'm afraid. I do have one workaround available that you can try though. When you record your next bill, you can create a new negative item line to it to represent the credit balance that will be applied to from the previous bill. Please keep in mind that this is only a workaround though and it may not suffice for your needs. I suggest reaching out to a professional CPA to see what other options you might have available to you.

• justdavejustdave Member Posts: 15

Thanks, that's pretty much how I did end up handling it. I added a positive amount equal to the credit as a line item on the credit bill to get the amount due back to $0, then added a matching negative amount to the following bill for the credit forward.