Income Breakdown chart

plutekplutek Member Posts: 20

I have various income categories ("accounts" in the Income tab of my Chart of Accounts) for the different types of work that i do. It would be really useful to be able to see a simple chart of how my income breaks down according to those categories -- something like the Expenses Breakdown circle graph on the Dashboard.

I don't see a way of doing that within Wave at the moment. Am i missing something, or might this be a good feature addition?

edited December 9, 2020 in Accounting Technical Support

Comments

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @plutek , you're not missing anything, the reports that we have available are in our Reports page and then we also have a few additional charts which show up on the Dashboard.

Thanks for the feature idea!

• LPG_Preschool_2020LPG_Preschool_2020 Member Posts: 5

Hello,
    Wave is a great simple accounting system although the reports are not customizable online you can still export the data and easily build reports/graphs in Excel or Open Office. What you are looking for is called parts of the whole or ‘Pie Chart’; therefore, you need the parts “Income Accounts” and the whole “Total”.
    1) Head over to Reports / Profit & Loss and setup your parameters
    Example: Date Range= 2020 / Report Type=Accrual
    2) In the upper right corner you will see “Export” with a drop-down arrow, select CSV and export the report to your desktop and open with MS Excel or Open Office. (Excel for this example)
    3) Drag a selection box around the income account items you want included in your ‘Pie Chart’ normally starting on line 7
    Example: Income 1 Work 1 $1,000,000
    Income 2 Work 2 $100,000
    Income 3 Work 3 $50,000
    Total Income $1,150,000 (Not Included in your selection)
    4) Click the ‘Insert’ TAB on Excel and select in the ‘Chart’ area the ‘Pie Chart’
    5) Now that you have a “Simple” chart you can customize it by clicking on the chart then click the ‘+’ mark to the upper right of the chart to add ‘Data Labels’ and to the right of that click the ‘arrow’ pointing right and add ‘Data Callout”.
    A lot of other options for customizing your pie chart are available but beyond the scope of this forum.
    Hope this is helpful.
    I learn something new every day so I must not know everything.

• plutekplutek Member Posts: 20
    thanks a lot for the walk-through, @LPG_Preschool_2020 ! that's great!