Negative Starting cash balance with no transactions associated

MahmoudFoudaMahmoudFouda Member Posts: 6

Hi,
I have a problem with the Cash on hand account. it is showing a negative balance even though there are not any transactions associated with the account. It should show a zero balance. How can I fix this? thanks

Comments

• MikegMikeg Member Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

@MahmoudFouda,
    Try going to Reports/Account Balances (near bottom). Click on the Cash on Hand account. Keep changing the year at the top until the transactions show up that created the negative balance.

• MahmoudFoudaMahmoudFouda Member Posts: 6

Hi @Mikeg

I tried that, there are no transactions associated with the account. whatever year I change, there are not any transactions. As you can see from the photo, it is already written there irrespective of the year.

I would like to point out that this error happened while I was recording a transaction to another account, Cash on hand was selected by mistake. it had zero balance then and it changed to a negative balance. then the transaction was recorded on it. Later I edited that transaction to the correct account, however, the negative balance for the Cash on hand account stayed the same and did not change.

I have realized that 731 TL is recorded as a credit in the report with 0 debit. is there a way to remove this credit value?

let me know if you have a way to fix this? Thanks

edited December 12, 2020

hi @Mikeg

I tried that but there are not any transactions associated with the account. whatever year I select. As you can see from the picture it is indicated there that there are not any transactions on this account.

this error was initiated while I was recording a 731 TL transaction and the Cash on hand account was selected by mistake. it had 0 balance then and it changed to a negative balance. Later I edited the transaction and choose the correct account, however, the negative balance did not change.

I also realized that in the reports, the cash on hand account has 731 TL as credit with 0 debit. is there a way to remove the credit on this account maybe this will fix it?

Let me know what you think or if you have a way to fix this. Thanks

@MahmoudFouda,
    So when you click on Cash on Hand highlighted in blue, you do not see any transactions. Even if you change the year at the top? Something posted in the account created the balance.

@Mikeg
    I tried all dates and options. there are not any transactions associated with the account

@MahmoudFouda,
    I'm not sure, if you changed the date range and nothing is showing up. The only thing I can think of is the the amount was put in there with a date prior to the default date ranges the drop down box has. Feel free to add my email as a viewer and I can take a look sometime.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @MahmoudFouda , it looks like there was an issue on the back end with the way your data was being displayed in your account. Everything looks good now so give it a check to ensure that you're not seeing any mysterious balances appearing.

Thanks for the help in the meantime Mike 🙂.

edited December 21, 2020