Splitting the vendor payee for a single withdrawal amount

magicwillmagicwill Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

I've been a Wave user since 2012 and an accountant for over 30 years so I know my way around. As much as I like and recommend your platform, every time you guys upgrade it seems to create a new problem. Here goes.
I've routinely been able to split a bank withdrawal across multiple vendors. Lately, there appears to be a limit on the number that can be added. One of my client's does a batch payment through Wave for their six contractors. Wave posts a debit to the bank account for each contractor and then the bank feed uploads the actual single lump-sum withdrawal.
My process has been to delete the payments done through Wave; thereby removing the transactions from the books... as they don't actually appear on the bank statement. I'd then split the uploaded bank withdrawal and apply the appropriate amount to each now open bill. Since the upgrade this no longer works. Every attempt gets the same error message. "There was an error saving". I can still split a withdrawal across two ledger accounts or across a bill and a ledger account or across two bills. But splitting the uploaded payment across the six contractor bills simply won't go.
I've been using the work-around of going back to the contractor bills and clearing them to Cash On Hand and then recording the bank withdrawal as a transfer to that account. Fortunately, my client doesn't have any activity that would normally flow through the Cash On Hand account.
Any chance this can be readily and quickly fixed?

Comments

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @magicwill , I'd like to bring this up to our team but I do need a bit more information from you. Do you know if there's a magic number where the transaction starts to error out? You mention total split entities but what happens if you try it with 4 or 5 for example?

Would you also mind clarifying after which update you started to notice this problem so we can address it accordingly?

Let me know as I'd love to take a deeper look!

edited December 28, 2020
  • magicwillmagicwill Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

Hello Alex,
    The last time I tried to do a multi-vendor split, there were only five contractors involved. The last time it worked was Nov. 3rd of last year.
    However, I just checked my client's account and there's a new ledger asset account... Wave Payroll Clearing. The most recent contractor payments are posted there and there's a transfer from the client's bank account to this account. Might this be an example of Wave machine learning? I have a call in to the client but I seriously doubt this solution came from him.
    If this is machine learning, should I expect all future contractor payments made through Wave payroll to be treated in this manner? If so, I'll want to give my client a heads-up to that effect.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @magicwill !

To clarify, when you split your bank imported transaction, does each item line equal the transactions total amount? This is necessary to preform a successful split. If the split falls short of the transactions total amount, you won't be able to save it.

If the split does in fact equate the transactions total amount, this might be a browser issue since you are faced with an error. We have some great browser troubleshooting steps outlined here that you can try.

edited January 13, 2021