Options

Difference in Balance while recording starting balance

Malpak7679Malpak7679 Member Posts: 3

Dear All,

I am new at Wave accounting and i have small business in Singapore. I transferred my books and recorded starting balances but there is a difference showing in my actual balance and system balance. My base currency is USD and i also have SGD entries and balances but SGD balances are not showing as per actual may be because of exchange rate difference. Is there any way to key in exchange rate manually??

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi there @Malpak7679 , thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your foreign currency exchange rates here. At this point in time, it is not possible to edit the exchange rate in Wave, though we're working to launch this feature as we speak! In the meantime, what you'd need to do to get these balances worked out is to create an adjustment entry. Thanks for your understanding.

• Options
    Malpak7679Malpak7679 Member Posts: 3

Hi CalliP,

Thanks for your feedback, please advice me proper adjusting entry without touching any other account coz i managed to do opening balances of all my other accounts. only the difference of this multi currency account. Please advice.

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Malpak7679

Manual Fix

When a foreign currency bank account reaches a zero balance in the foreign currency, there is usually a home currency balance in the account, due to foreign exchange rate fluctuations over time as transactions are recorded. If you zero out the balance in the business currency by creating a journal entry (the other side is gain/loss on foreign exchange), Wave calculates a corresponding foreign currency amount which is then recorded into the balance of the account. This means that ultimately, either the account will show a business currency balance (which is a 'phantom' account balance on the balance sheet), or the account will hold a foreign currency balance (which doesn't appear on the balance sheet, but then the bank account can't be reconciled as there is a 'phantom' transaction in the foreign currency).

We're working to make it possible for you to be able to update the business currency balance of a foreign currency bank account without also creating a foreign currency transaction amount. This would prevent your balance sheet and/or the account to have a phantom amount.

A workaround is to create a related functional/home currency “valuation” asset account, where you can make entries in the functional currency only, so the net of the valuation account and the bank account will be correct. We're working on automating this process, but in the meantime, this must be manually done by you. If you have further questions on the accounting principles of this, please reach out to an accountant. The valuation account would need to be the same account type as the account which needs to be balanced. So if it's an asset account you're looking to revaluate, you can create an asset valuation account. Picture it like a placeholder account here you can store the balance away from your actual account. This is definitely a workaround and we appreciate your patience until we eventually give the option to change currencies in Wave.

Wave is currently building a transaction rewrite which will, in its final phase, include the tools needed to reconcile these ghost amounts. I don't have an ETA for this launch, but I can say that it is the current primary focus of the accounting product team. Thank you for your patience while we build this feature out to completion.