Options

The new and improved Transactions page

Comments

• Options
    SBenoitSBenoit Member Posts: 48 ✭✭

@mattt said:
    Also the dialog is so much slower to use. Previously you could do pretty much all of it with the keyboard by tabbing through; even find invoices etc. Now to change amounts on an entry you seem to have to click in to using the mouse - I can't find anyway to make a field go to edit mode using the keyboard.

When you're in the field handling invariably ends up with leading 0s unless you use the mouse to select all and overwrite.

And finally, the keyboard Save shortcut now doesn't work if there is an edit field active.

I'm starting to get frustrated with these JE interface issues too. I hope they are planning some improvements to it.

• Options
    matttmattt Member Posts: 7

@SBenoit said:
    I'm starting to get frustrated with these JE interface issues too. I hope they are planning some improvements to it.

I wouldn't hold your breath. This has all the smells of classic 'break it and wait for them to adjust'

• Options
    matttmattt Member Posts: 7

@Tyler5 said:
    If not, I guess like some of the other folks here, it may be time to look for a new platform.

We are already in that bracket of invaluable users (i.e non-US) they want to offload so can't imagine this will be much of a concern.

• Options
    tylercaltylercal Member Posts: 4

Not sure what's going on with the extra whitespace between "Amount" and "Actions" but it's extra noticeable because the Amounts wrap! The other fields truncate with ellipsis. I don't think amounts should be wrapping or truncating unless they're over 12 digits.

• Options
    midwest_kcmidwest_kc Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

I agree with the majority of posters here. This is a huge step backwards. I have many receipts that the transactions don't get imported for one reason or another. The ability to make a transaction quickly was a huge benefit for me. Also, bank transactions don't happen in real time, meaning I am going to have to hold on to receipts until they import, and then deal with the mobile interface, which is fine for quickly getting a bit of info, but not something I want to use for managing my finances. Having an option on which version to use would be ideal.

• Options
    SBenoitSBenoit Member Posts: 48 ✭✭

@tylercal said:
    Not sure what's going on with the extra whitespace between "Amount" and "Actions" but it's extra noticeable because the Amounts wrap! The other fields truncate with ellipsis. I don't think amounts should be wrapping or truncating unless they're over 12 digits.

That space is reserved for the sales tax flags, so it'll appear unused unless you've applied taxes to a transaction.

But yeah, I've noticed the wrapping of the amounts, and it depends on the specific sizing of the browser window. The interface shouldn't do that, but until they fix it you can just resize your window slightly in one direction or another.

• Options
    tylercaltylercal Member Posts: 4

@SBenoit said:

That space is reserved for the sales tax flags, so it'll appear unused unless you've applied taxes to a transaction.

But yeah, I've noticed the wrapping of the amounts, and it depends on the specific sizing of the browser window. The interface shouldn't do that, but until they fix it you can just resize your window slightly in one direction or another.

That's too bad, this business doesn't include sales tax in any transactions, so a big waste of space for us :(

The resizing of the browser has been my workaround as well, but it really should be fixed to not happen at all.

• Options
    AifaaAifaa Member Posts: 1

This is really bad. it take me 20 minutes just to add 2 income! Please do something!

edited April 1, 2021
  • Options
    kjpongkjpong Member Posts: 1

Is it possible to use the older version? I'm being inefficient if I have to go back and forth between two tabs. Also I use CTRL + S when saving but not I can't do that and I need to click.

edited April 1, 2021
  • Options
    GregVeresGregVeres Member Posts: 24

Not a fan of the new accounts interface.

• There is too much jumping around when you edit a journal entry. I much prefer opening the entry to the side rather than inline. I find it too disorienting when it opens within the journal entry. I have always found this in all financial packages that open the entry within the leger. Opening to the side was a great solution.

• Copying a journal entry is horrible!!!
      When copying a journal entry, it used to open the new copy to the side. This was great because it meant that you wouldn't "lose" the newlyl created journal entry and you could start modifying it immediately. Most of my workflow relies on finding an existing journal entry and making a copy to create a new entry of the same type. Now that is completely ruined becuase the new entry is "hidden" amounst the existing entries with nothing to indicate that it was the newly added entry. At the very least please open the new copy so that we can find it in the leger!
      Or even better, open the journal entry for editing. I clicked on the copy button of a jouranl entry, I should be left in the edit screen for a journal entry editing the new copy.

• Filter doesn't allow for amount filtering???
      I needed to find a large transaction in my history. So I figured I would search for any transactions over $3000 to limit my search. There is no way to search based on amount!

I miss the old transactions page.

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Dagmar , you should have an Add income and Add expense button at the top right of your screen. Are you having issues when trying to click them? Do they just not open up? Let me know.

Hey @SBenoit , thanks for this incredibly in-depth feedback. I see you out here commenting regularly on different posts and we always appreciate the honest feedback. I'm afraid that there's no URL to bring you back to the legacy transactions page but our Accounting team will be taking all of the feedback in this thread to continue to iterate on future changes.

@jhandojo , are these newly added income accounts 🤔? The switch to the new Transactions page should have no impact on what accounts are showing up. If you just added them, make sure you're refreshing your page. Otherwise, if you're still having this issue and they're not showing up, let me know and we can take a deeper look.

Hi @kjpong , as it turns out there's no way to return to the legacy Transactions page as this one has been released for all users.

• Options
    jhandojojhandojo Member Posts: 3

@jhandojo , are these newly added income accounts 🤔? The switch to the new Transactions page should have no impact on what accounts are showing up. If you just added them, make sure you're refreshing your page. Otherwise, if you're still having this issue and they're not showing up, let me know and we can take a deeper look.

Hey @AlexL - all accounts are now showing up, which is awesome. To answer your question, these were existing income accounts from the get go. I'm still working through the new workflow per se with the updated Transactions page; so far I'd say it's made the process require more clicks, but it's a minor inconvenience thus far.

• Options
    KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @pmk856,

Just a heads up, I've merged your thread with the main thread for the new Transactions page, so you can easily view related comments :smile:

When you create the expense transaction, and categorise it as a Transfer to... >, Wave should only be creating the other half of the transaction automatically. In this case, it would be the income transaction. It should also be recognising that the amount is the same, and if not, you should be able to edit this without any errors.

We did recently have some bugs before releasing this new Transactions page, however all of those that we are aware of have been resolved. If you're still having this issue, please reach out to our Support team via email, so that we can troubleshoot this with our Development team.

edited April 8, 2021
  • Options
    midnight1204midnight1204 Member Posts: 2

Most of my accounts are not in the dropdown menu; thus, overall figures aren't updated. How can we fix this problem?

• Options
    Tyler5Tyler5 Member Posts: 3

@mattt said:
    We are already in that bracket of invaluable users (i.e non-US) they want to offload so can't imagine this will be much of a concern.

Yea... doesn't seem like anyone having problems with the functionality of the interface itself is getting any responses back lol.

HEY WAVES TEAM, ANY PLANS TO PROVIDE AN OPTION TO USE THE PREVIOUS INTERFACE ANYTIME SOON?

Also, I noticed that while putting in future transactions (ie. payroll to be distributed on this coming Monday) the transaction amounts are not being reflected in the bank balance... I don't even know what to say about this except... huh? Comeon TEAM, this doesn't make any sense!

• Options
    pdettipdetti Member Posts: 19
    > @Tyler5 said:
    >
    > Also, I noticed that while putting in future transactions (ie. payroll to be distributed on this coming Monday) the transaction amounts are not being reflected in the bank balance... I don't even know what to say about this except... huh? Comeon TEAM, this doesn't make any sense!

Thank you, Tyler! Finally, someone else who is speechless about the bank balance not including post-dated entries! lol Without a balance column, which I still think is completely absurd... leaving post-dated entries deliberately out of the balance is bizarre!
    edited April 5, 2021
  • Options
    BradfordBBradfordB Member Posts: 3

This new transactions page makes it WAY MORE DIFFICULT - This is a HUGE step backwards. We lost so much and I've gained ZERO.

• Options
    NicholeNichole Member Posts: 7

Wave Developers, Moderators, and Admins- WHAT DID YOU DO!!!! everything that was great about using wave was the simplicity, the easy navigation, and bragged to everyone how I loved using wave. Now with your recent updates- please allow me to address what in fact you did manage to mess up/eliminate during your recent upgrades!

1) when you split a transaction now you have to manually figure out the difference in values whereas before it automatically provided a "remaining balance"
    2) you eliminated the merge feature on the main transaction page by clicking on transaction lines.
    3) you eliminated the "duplicate" feature on the main transaction page by clicking on the single transaction line.
    4) now you created more clicks to navigate around using wave to get to Split transactions, or even worse another click within the click to enter notes on the 2nd tab!
    5) now you made the "REVIEWED" radio button so small that we have to fit precisely into the small circular area to click on it.
    I admit the only nice thing you did was allow for inline changes, BUT IT SHOULD HAVE STOPPED AT THAT AND NO OTHER ENHANCEMENTS.

I still would have opted to click on the line item and have the details show up on the right of the screen to make the necessary adjustments/split/notes, etc..

I am so dissapointed and really hope your team of professionals could review this discussion and provide some flexibility to us strong supporters of wave. at this point i am really started to become bothered by these changes and the amount of split transactions i have to conduct for my business that is causing more work, manual calculations i need to do myself, and the length of time 1 transaction split is now causing.

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Aifaa !

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues when viewing your Transactions page. Are you still experiencing this issue? For some context, when we rolled out our new Transactions page, Wave ran into some loading issues that resulted in errors and slow speeds like you mentioned. However, this has since been resolved.

If the issue persists, please let me know and I will gladly assist you further. :smile:

• Options
    tSKtSK Member Posts: 1

I applaud the attempt to innovate. Unfortunately the improvements must have had a different type of company in mind. With how we use Wave Apps, the new transactions page has, at a minimum, doubled the amount of clicks/time required to do one simple task. I admit, I should have provided this feedback during Beta instead of just staying in the legacy version, but I didn't have time to mess with the mess and was hoping others would comment and things would get at least moderately fixed. Shame on me.

The primary issues we've seen already are:

• PLEASE return "uncategorized" to red font, instead of underlined. It gets lost and is more important than a simple underline. I can't imagine this is a difficult or unwanted fix based on other comments
    • Before, you could see a sizable number of transactions in the window, with the new formatting, (even on a normal/big size macbook pro), you maybe get 4-5 lines of transactions, which goes down to almost just one when you expand the details. Many of our transactions are related to each other/journal entries, so it was nice being able to see more in a line.
    • As another community member commented, almost all of our journal transactions are similar so we had heavily used the duplicate feature and edited from there. This process is now buried and takes double the amount of time. It was also nice to be able to have the split pane, being able to see the other transactions, while making the updates to the duplicate.

Thanks for factoring in our feedback as you seek to continually improve.

• Options
    MarkGMarkG Member Posts: 5

Hello. As mentioned by one or two others, I'd also be immensely grateful if Wave would reinstate the display of remaining balance when splitting a transaction. The lack of that display has added considerable time to my reconciliation process.

Also, a request re: filtering. When working with a filtered data set (say, last month's Not Reviewed transactions), my workflow is to edit individual transactions and Mark As Approved as I go. Eventually I like to re-apply the same filter in order to clear the Reviewed transactions from view. Unfortunately, opening the filter dialog and clicking the Apply button no longer achieves that; it seems to have no effect at all on the displayed data. If I want to clear those Reviewed items from view, I have to reset at least one of the filter parameters for any change to take effect: e.g. unclick the Not Reviewed option—or switch it to Reviewed—then click Apply, then re-select Not Reviewed and click Apply.

Thank you.

• Options
    TDKTDK Member Posts: 6

I'm trying to get used to the new setup, but it's challenging. It seems to take me much longer to do what was once a pretty easy task.

• I loved the side view, so I could still see other transactions. This new version prevents me from being able to scroll to previous entries while still keeping the details of the first transaction in view. I have to scroll to find the older entry, then scroll to the new one, enter what I can remember, and repeat. It takes up a lot more time.

• I loved being able to see my notes while entering the transaction splits. It helped. Now I have to flip back and forth, back and forth to see which category gets what amount. This is time-consuming.

• I dislike that I can't just click on the line to see the details. I now have to click on the dropdown, wait for it to reload the whole page, and then click notes to see my details. It takes so much more time.

• The inline editing is a little scary because I'm so used to clicking the line anywhere and opening up the side panel. Now I'm afraid I'll accidentally edit something. I'm sure this issue will go away with more use, but it has slowed me down.

I would love the option to use the old style. That worked wonderfully for me.

Wave has been great for keeping up with our lab expenses and keeping track of clinical trial payments. Unfortunately, this last update has made it more difficult.

Thank you.

• Options
    Tyler5Tyler5 Member Posts: 3

@AlexL said:
    as it turns out there's no way to return to the legacy Transactions page as this one has been released for all users.

So are you guys planning on changing this by giving users the option to choose which interface to use? or is the plan to just to let everyone get used to this new one?

• Options
    SomecallmeTimSomecallmeTim Member Posts: 1

This should still be in Beta, my issues are mostly with mobile use on IPad Pro, but some of it with safari on mac

• adding an older transaction organizes it immediately, so you have to scroll down to finish editing it
    • Copying a transaction and editing the date first organizes it immediately, so you have to scroll up to finish editing it
    • Splitting a transaction no longer calculates the difference needed to complete the transaction, or gives option to categorize remaining balance
    • Uncategorized transaction aren’t in red
    • You can no longer tab through transaction boxes, you have to wait for the current dialog to upload then click again on the box you want to edit
    • you have to open a transaction to get to the copy and trash icon, or to split the transaction,
    • Transaction expanded view is much bigger now, but ‘notes’ needed its own tab?
    • When you go to edit a new transaction description box, I have to delete the words “write a description”, as soon as you click that box it should go blank
  • Options
    Jamie_PJamie_P Member Posts: 1

How can this be better when my transactions are no longer importing over from my bank???? If there is something that needs to be done to accomplish this please let us know!!!!!

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @midnight1204 @Tyler5 !

After doing some digging on the backend, it appears that some of your Wave pages are not communicating with each other, and this is why you are seeing discrepancies in the numbers between different pages.

I have triggered an accounting data fix on your account, and it showed that your account was in need of this! The reports and accounts should be properly connected within 15-30 minutes, depending on how much data there was to fix.

If, after that time the accounts are still off, please let me know and we can go from there.

Hello @Tyler5 @pdetti !

With the new Transactions page being implemented, we will no longer be supporting the old transactions page. If you record a transaction that is expected to occur in the future, it will not be reflected on your account balance until the set transaction date is reached. The reason why it is not reflected on your account balance prior to the future date is because it technically hasn't occurred yet.

Hi @Nichole , @tSK , @MarkG, @SomecallmeTim , and @TDK !

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with me. I want to let you know that our product and development teams are keeping a keen eye on this discussing as more feedback and input is shared since this is a new update. Thank you for reaching out about this!

Hey @Jamie_P !

Do you mind clarifying your inquiry for me? Are you experiencing issues with your bank connection? If so, please submit a ticket request to our support team at your earliest convenience so one of our agents can assist you directly. They'll be more than happy to help. If I missed, the mark please let me know and I will gladly assist you further.

• Options
    BradfordBBradfordB Member Posts: 3

This new update is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! IT TAKES WAY LONGER TO DO EVERYTHING!!!!!

• Options
    FutureSerenityFutureSerenity Member Posts: 2

Wow, talk about going backwards! The new Transaction page is really clunky and takes more clicks and more time to do everything. Way less flexible and way less visible information without the side panel. Way to go if you want to turn a simple and effective tool into a convoluted process and annoy the heck out of all users. Bring back the old Transaction page.

• Options
    HolCarHolCar Member Posts: 20

Hello,

Not sure why Wave had to break what was working fine, but with the new update to the layout in the Transactions page, a couple of things broke.

First: Why is Uncategorised Income/Expense no longer highlighted in red? It was of HUGE help to be able to spot these transactions real quickly.

Second, I have accounts and invoices in foreign currencies. I can no longer categorise the income/expense because the option is simply not there. To clarify:

I have an account in USD where I have the payment recorded. When I try to categorise it, the option to "Pay for an Invoice in Wave" does not display at all (the topmost option is "Transfer from a Bank Account"). How am I going to apply this payment to the matching invoice, both in the same currency (USD)? I tried adding the payment manually from the invoice, but then it doesn't let me edit it because it says that transactions done automatically in Wave cannot be edited.

There's a very old adage that reads something like: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Well, the old transaction page was not broken, yet now it is.

Thanks

edited April 22, 2021
  • Options
    siti44siti44 Member Posts: 1

Hi, im a freelance bookeeper but since this new beta come, i found this hard and wasting time. somebody please help me, i need the old features back