Options

The new and improved Transactions page

13»

Comments

• Options
    Lize_StanderLize_Stander Member Posts: 3

It is still taking me forever to try and categorize my income and expenses. The page lags so badly that it just hangs. I'm at my wits end as it will take days and days for me to categorize one week's transactions. It also doesn't give the option to categorize "like" transactions anymore.

• Options
    CameronCameron Member Posts: 32

I have similar issues. The site is very slow to load. I think you should really consider using a single page app like Angular and making it much faster to use.

https://angular.io/

• Options
    aaronphshortaaronphshort Member Posts: 0

Prior to the updated design of the Transactions page, when splitting a transaction, Wave would tell you the amount remaining that still needs to be allocated.

Instead now it just says "The total of the split amounts does not match the original transaction amount."

Why get rid of this useful feature that saves having to manually calculate?

As a further improvement, it would be great to be able to perform splits by percentage amount as well as decimal.

• Options
    unusual1unusual1 Member Posts: 5

Where are the instructions to revert to what worked???????????

• Options
    hkimbleyhkimbley Member Posts: 1

Agree. I definitely miss the calculation of how much still needs to be allocated.

• Options
    LeannFryLeannFry Member Posts: 2

I completely agree. This new transaction page wastes tons of time. I would love to have it back the way it was. Is there a way to revert?

• Options
    JCowanJCowan Member Posts: 10 admin

Hi Wavers,

Thanks as always for sharing your experiences with us. Your feedback is incredibly valued, and does not go unheard.

Through your feedback, we’ve been able to identify and resolve a number of bugs with the new Transactions page, including issues around categories and transactions failing to load, among others. We continue to monitor your feedback to identify and resolve bugs that you encounter in your use of the page.

Additionally, we’ve been playing close attention to other areas where you’ve identified opportunities to improve the experience and overall usability of the page.

With the help of your feedback, we’ve already begun working on a number of these areas, and will provide updates in this thread as we add improvements to the page. Please continue to share your feedback with us, and thanks again for all of your input so far.

• Options
    lshorelshore Member Posts: 1

I agree. I don't enter transaction but once a month, and having to scroll to find the date that I entered to finish the transaction is time consuming. It's doubly a waste to have to click on details to get a save button. Is there a way to revert?

• Options
    KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @HolCar, I've moved your post to the main thread on the new Transactions page, so that you can easily follow the discussion.

In regards to marking your foreign currency invoices as paid, this is done from the invoice itself, rather than the Transactions page. This isn't something that has recently changed, so the new update shouldn't have affected your workflow here.

If you're getting the error message that transactions created by Wave can't be edited, from what I understand this means that the invoice was paid via Wave Payments. In this case, the bookkeeping should be done for you automatically by Wave, and the invoice should already be marked as paid :smile:

That said, if you're still having issues, feel free to reply with a screenshot of the error message that you see, or send us an email so that a member of our Customer Support team can investigate further!

• Options
    Pterodactyl_1Pterodactyl_1 Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the upgrade. Two things are not working out for me:

• Can't see the notes. That is not a minor inconvenience, it is another entire level of detail, works like an additional field for me. Would like to be able to search notes as well. Thank you.
    • When I filter on uncategorized, after I categorize one transaction from a vendor, it used to bring up a list of similars and allow me to bulk edit them. I can't understand why that isn't working now. Please bring that feature back. Also I agree with the commenter above who asked that we be able to switch back and forth between legacy and updated versions. It is a valuable feature that allows you to catch up on user requests, and let us keep working at speed in the meantime. Thank you.
  • Options
    pdettipdetti Member Posts: 19

Bringing back the link up top to switch between Legacy and New... WOULD BE AWESOME. I for one cannot stand most of what has changed. It is much slower and annoying in many ways and the balance not including post-dated entries makes NO SENSE at all.

For example, I go through and pay recurring bills for the month (reminds me of the fact that Wave does not even have recurring bills, another head-scratcher). I pay a bunch of bills and enter payments on the dates they will come out of the account, and the balance does NOT update to reflect those soon-to-be withdrawals!

Then some say, well... the bank connection will automatically bring those in when they are paid, so why bother entering them? To that I ask, how do you keep track then of what is due when? How do you know you have enough in the account to cover all the bills for the month? If we had recurring bills that would certainly help with tracking this, but in any case, no column with a running balance and no post-dated entries in the one balance we do have up top makes this borderline useless to me.

Sorry, I have been trying to get around this and have it make sense, but I can't even come up with workarounds for the oversights...

• Options
    HolCarHolCar Member Posts: 20

@KiahD said:
    Hey @HolCar, I've moved your post to the main thread on the new Transactions page, so that you can easily follow the discussion.

In regards to marking your foreign currency invoices as paid, this is done from the invoice itself, rather than the Transactions page. This isn't something that has recently changed, so the new update shouldn't have affected your workflow here.

If you're getting the error message that transactions created by Wave can't be edited, from what I understand this means that the invoice was paid via Wave Payments. In this case, the bookkeeping should be done for you automatically by Wave, and the invoice should already be marked as paid :smile:

That said, if you're still having issues, feel free to reply with a screenshot of the error message that you see, or send us an email so that a member of our Customer Support team can investigate further!

Thank you. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Are you telling me that if I have an account in a foreign currency, and an invoice/bill in the same foreign currency, and I have the transaction already imported from the bank, I can't categorise it and instead have to mark the invoice/bill paid (which doesn't let me edit it, as it says it's made by Wave) and delete the original entry in the Transactions?!?!?! That's nuts.

I honestly don't see why you would allow me to pay a bill/invoice from it (which adds the transaction) but don't let me categorise it, just like we can do with the home currency ones.

I can't afford to be marking as paid every bill/invoice in foreign currency manually, then manually deleting the bank entry (which has a lot more details than the basic info Wave puts when I add a payment manually). And by the way, I understand the restriction to edit payments for invoices paid by WAVE (say, with CC), but not when we mark it as paid manually.

This new update is really forcing me to look for other options, as you've made it doubly hard to keep proper accounting.

Thank you!

• Options
    matttmattt Member Posts: 7

I commented on this a few weeks ago and have the following update.

The more I use this new screen, the more I hate it.

The two latest gripes are:

(1) I do book-keeping every week or so, and now when you create the transaction, for some reason it insists on finding its correct chronological position in the list. Can only imagine how complicated this was to program, but also entirely pointless and annoying, because invariably it moves to the bottom of the screen and I now have to scroll to get focus back.

(2) why does every single field whenever you do anything have to do the slow-load dance-off? Get in a field it spins, make a change and try and leave and it spins again. I can understand trying to validate entry, but this is another level.

Everything takes so much longer to do now, to the extent that I now do it less often (because it's going to be a nightmare) which obviously just compounds things even further.

I use Wave for four different small businesses/charities so this is a real issue for me, esp. as the proposed alternative is a non-starter.

• Options
    RachxHxxRachxHxx Member Posts: 4
    Absolutely hate the new changes! So much harder and time consuming. Having to double click into each transaction, three times if I want to see the "note". Was much easier having everything at first glance. Now it's just like navigating QuickBooks. I hate it! Change it back please :(
  • Options
    LeannFryLeannFry Member Posts: 2

I have commented on this before but I feel like I need to say it again. I HATE the new transactions page. It is soooo much slower for me to enter my transactions. It feels so clunky. Is there any way to revert back to the way it was?

• Options
    MarkGMarkG Member Posts: 5

Just popping in to thank the development team, since I see that my two concerns have been addressed and both features are working as expected now!

@MarkG said:
    Hello. As mentioned by one or two others, I'd also be immensely grateful if Wave would reinstate the display of remaining balance when splitting a transaction. The lack of that display has added considerable time to my reconciliation process.

Also, a request re: filtering. When working with a filtered data set (say, last month's Not Reviewed transactions), my workflow is to edit individual transactions and Mark As Approved as I go. Eventually I like to re-apply the same filter in order to clear the Reviewed transactions from view. Unfortunately, opening the filter dialog and clicking the Apply button no longer achieves that; it seems to have no effect at all on the displayed data. If I want to clear those Reviewed items from view, I have to reset at least one of the filter parameters for any change to take effect: e.g. unclick the Not Reviewed option—or switch it to Reviewed—then click Apply, then re-select Not Reviewed and click Apply.

Thank you.

• Options
    tmurraytmurray Member Posts: 3

This update makes accounting and transaction editing an absolute nightmare! Where did the ability to sort transactions by any category? That is an absolute necessity. I'm pulling in from 3 bank accounts. How dow I only see or sort by bank account? Horrible. Hate to have to abandon this software. It's getting worse not better.

• Options
    DonnaFroDonnaFro Member Posts: 2

I just started using Wave Today 5-24-2021 and want to make a new category. I watched the video it says there is a box at the bottom to add a new category??? I don't see this any where and reading thru these post it has been taken away so is there a new way to add a new category??

• Options
    StephKayStephKay Member Posts: 7

Hi again
    I have a new thing happening..when I manually upload my bank statement (OFX), it cautions me that there are duplicates, and will flag them - it used to do that before the new update on WAVE, which was great. Now, the caution is there, but no flags once it is uploaded, so am having to go through each one and delete the duplicate.
    Any help on this would be great. Thanks

• Options
    LMSorgLMSorg Member Posts: 1

Look at all the complaints on this page about the new transactions page. Do the developers read this? Do you actually employ a product manager at your company? I know you must feel horrible that you spent all this time designing something new that nobody likes but can you do your customers a favor and get rid of these horrible changes?

• Options
    NelsonBNelsonB Member Posts: 3

@NelsonB said:
    Thank you for the new sleek look. I come from a long time of software implementation and I know any change is hard on users moving from a legacy method to a newer method. I'm currently working with the new transactions page and I'm getting the hang of the new process. For me the only issue is the remaining balance when splitting a transaction. Hopefully it will come back as now I'm having to pull out my calculator again to help with this.

Thank you for the update. I can now see my remaining amounts when splitting a transaction.

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @tmurray !

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you'd like to sort your Transactions page by category, you can do so by pressing Filter and selecting the category of your choosing from the drop down menu. Below I attached a screenshot for reference:

If you are trying to sort your Transactions page by bank account, you can do so by selecting the bank account in question from the drop down menu under "Transactions" like so:

Hello @DonnaFro !

If you'd like to create a new custom category or account, you can do so by heading over to your Accounting > Chart of Accounts page and pressing the blue Create a New Account button in the top right hand corner of the page. Feel free to learn more here.

Hi @StephKay!

When importing any data that already exists in Wave, our system will not recognize the redundancy. As a result, when uploading your OFX file, be sure to only import data that doesn't already exist in your account. If you currently have duplicates in your account, feel free to check out our Help Center article on how to resolve this: How to resolve duplicate transactions

• Options
    Clays_EndClays_End Member Posts: 1

This new change is a nightmare for transactions, none of the receipts which we had logged using the mobile camera app on wave had been processed which means we have to go back and manually do it to get them to even register for bank reconciliation. I don't understand how you can think this is a time saver???

• Options
    tcooperstcoopers Member Posts: 7

@pdetti said:

@SBenoit said:
    I'd like to start by saying I'm always excited to see improvements being made with Wave. Thank you for everything you guys do! The new Transactions interface is definitely a step in the right direction.

Thank you for your time :)

Sebastien Benoit

Sebastien, so many excellent points you bring up… Hopefully they will actually read this post and consider the things you’re saying.

I just wanted to ask you about there being no register balance and no running balance on the transactions page? It seems no one else is bringing this up, so I’m wondering how do you function with only being able to see the bank balance and having none of your uncleared transactions accounted for? Seeing the bank balance is great but I don’t know how to use this system without being able to see how much I will actually have in an account after everything has cleared… In QuickBooks they show you your bank balance and your actual balance for every account. I guess I’m just not understanding why no one else is up in arms about this change. I have always thought it’s absurd that there’s no running balance column on the right side of the screen but now they’ve taken away the actual balance total as well. I just don’t get it… Thanks in advance for your reply.

Great points. The old version was actually useful in terms of the account balance. I had a workaround for a running balance by putting pending and forecasted transactions under 'money in transit' accounts. This way I could see my balance today, the pending total, and an overall total. I can't do this anymore with the changes. The total doesn't show anything past the current date. I have to figure out how to see my balance including pending and forecasted transactions without changing dates every day. When my pending and forecasted transactions were realized all I had to do was change the account to the one it hit.

edited July 9, 2021
  • Options

Split Transactions Note
    If you enter the wrong total amount, it doesn't allow you to change it. You have to delete the transaction and recreate it. The old split transaction form was better.

• Options
    SBenoitSBenoit Member Posts: 48 ✭✭

@tcoopers said:
    Split Transactions Note
    If you enter the wrong total amount, it doesn't allow you to change it. You have to delete the transaction and recreate it. The old split transaction form was better.

That behaviour hasn't changed; we were never able to edit the total for a split transaction. The solution is also the same: remove the split until it's just one, change the total, then re-split.

• Options

I remember that you had to do that but I haven't been able to make this new version do it. I will give it another try.