[US] What kind of checks do you need to print your payroll?

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin
image[US] What kind of checks do you need to print your payroll?

This article applies to Wave Payroll in the US. Were you looking for Canada?
In order to print checks with Wave, you'll need the appropriate printer-friendly checks (printer-friendly checks are als...

Read the full story here

edited April 4, 2021 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• SpokaneFiberCleanSpokaneFiberClean Member Posts: 8

I'm looking for instructions on HOW to print checks.

• KristenVKristenV Member Posts: 121 admin

Hi @SpokaneFiberClean , it you'd like to print cheques through Wave for your payroll, you are able to do this by navigating to Payroll > Run Payroll > Approved Payrolls. From there, select the pay period you'd like to print cheques for. Once selected, you will see an option to "Print Cheques". You are able to print cheques for all employees or just a select few. Then, just follow the prompts to print!

edited April 13, 2021
  • Rene_DRene_D Member Posts: 1

I need to assign the check number to a paycheck, there are no instructions on this and printing a check does not ask for the check number.

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @Rene_D ,

At the moment it's not possible to assign a check number to a specific paycheck I'm afraid. When printing the paper checks, the check number is already written on the check, and Wave has no way of "reading" this number. In addition, it's not possible to alter paychecks in any way within Wave.

What you could do instead, is add the check number(s) and corresponding employee's name to the notes of the journal entry for each payroll. Outside of Wave, you could download the paycheck as a PDF, or print it out, and manually add the check number!

• cekentinccekentinc Member Posts: 11

@Rene_D said:
    I need to assign the check number to a paycheck, there are no instructions on this and printing a check does not ask for the check number.

This is critical and is bookkeeping 101. I'm beyond amazed that a bookkeeping-centric company doesn't have this ability and requires a RISKY journal entry to append the numbers?! Please fix this. Sometimes direct deposit is just too slow, or we may need to run payroll outside of the normal schedule–checks are ideal for this (yet we need to be able to track and account for them).

Thank you!!