Options

Is there a way to setup new top level expense categories?

TimJones781TimJones781 Member Posts: 1

I am seeing I can add categories under the predefined top-level categories such as "operating expense" or "cost of goods sold." I don't however see any way to add sub-categories or new top-level categories for a more segmented list of categories.

An example of this would be the following:

• Expenses
    -- Custom Expense Type Category such as "Transportation"
    --- Sub Category expense type, such as "transportation mileage," "Auto Parking," "gas"

This would allow me to have a much more defined list of categories and help to keep track of all grant funding earmarks, which can be very specific and detailed (such as a grant designated specifically to gas reimbursements).

Thanks for the help!

edited June 23, 2021 in Accounting Feature Ideas

Comments

• Options
    KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @TimJones781 !

It's not currently possible to add custom sub-categories, or top-level categories in your Chart of Accounts I'm afraid, other than adding a custom Category underneath an already created top-level category. For example, creating a Submission Fees category underneath Expenses > Operating Expense.

That said, this is a common request, and I have moved your post to the Accounting Feature Ideas section so the Development Team have more visibility on the scope and context of users who support this feature :smile: