Marketing fees included in Sales

Farmer_FrankFarmer_Frank Member Posts: 13

We sell through an online website that allows us to send messages for a fee to potential customers. That fee is deducted from our sales receipt. I am currently using a Discount Income account to track reductions in sales we made in the price, a Payment Processing Expense account to track the percentage of sales they deduct for the service they provide. How do I track the cost of the marketing messages we send? I would think it should fall under Advertising Operating Expense, but I am not able to choose that option when entering the amount as part of the split transaction. Would I need to manually remove that amount from the transaction and enter it separately?

Comments

• remotebooksremotebooks Member Posts: 10

Create a "Message Fees" expense account under the Payment Processing Fee section of your Chart of Accounts. Let's assume that you've made a sale for $1,250 but only received $1,000 from the website because $250 was deducted for your messages.

Your split deposit (income) transaction would look like this:

• $1,000: Main transaction amount
    • $1,250: Split 1 (Income Accounts > Sales) or (Payments Received for an Invoice > Invoice #123)
    • $250: Split 2 (Discounts and Fees > Message Fees)

Happy number crunching!

Sam - RemoteBooks
    hello@remotebooks.co