How to set custom invoice number for my business

busywingsbusywings Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I just subscribed and want to set invoice number in a particular format. Where should I go and set it.

Thanks in advance.

Busywings

Comments

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hey there! If you go to Settings > Invoice Customization, you can change the defaults for your invoices. When you're in the process of creating an invoice, you can also edit the number as you choose. Please note that Wave will automatically create the next number in the sequence after you do that. If you choose to use recurring invoicing, Wave will also always generate the next number in sequence (at a business level, not a customer level) as a measure to prevent duplicates.

• akariakari Member Posts: 1

I have the same question. There's no way to customize the invoice number on Settings > Invoice Customization

• SophiaSophia Member Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi @akari as Charlotte notes, you can customize the invoice every time you create a new invoice by editing the number in the top right corner, and Wave will automatically follow this numbering format sequentially after it is set.

• kimayaartistrykimayaartistry Member Posts: 1

I have the same problem. Im trying to change the invoice number for the new year and I have to manually change each and every invoice number as wave doesn't seem to give me a new number, Example in 2017, my invoice numbers were 17001,17002. In 2018, I changed it to 18001,hoping that the next invoice will automatically change to 18002 but instead it shows 17003. Its pretty troublesome to keep changing it manually to 18003,18004 etc as I need to go back and check each time what was the last invoice number used. Please kindly rectify this problem on my end or advice what I can do. Thank you

• bostonchrissy83bostonchrissy83 Member Posts: 4

@kimayaartistry this was happening to me too and they told me to clear my cash and cookies, then after i changed it again it stayed in that order

• MickMick Member Posts: 4

@Charlotte @Sophia @kimayaartistry @bostonchrissy83 @akari @busywings Same problem here. Deleted the cache and cookies but nothing changed. Signed into wave from a different browser/computer and it still has the old invoice number so that cannot be related to cookies/cache but it must be related to their system instead. It never follows the new number it always gets back to the old one. How to fix that?

edited January 8, 2019

@Sophia said:
    Hi @akari as Charlotte notes, you can customize the invoice every time you create a new invoice by editing the number in the top right corner, and Wave will automatically follow this numbering format sequentially after it is set.

Unfortunatelly that does not work.

• The_LoraxThe_Lorax Member Posts: 3
    In 2018, I changed it to 18001, hoping that the next invoice will automatically change to 18002 but instead it shows 17003

I tried that right now and it worked perfectly for me...

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

@Mick
    Can you share your custom invoice numbers that are not working so I can take a look. It will only increment based on the last number. For example, if your last invoice was 17001, the next one would be 17002 and so on.

The way the numbering works, is it will always take the largest invoice number ever used, and increment by 1.

If you had an invoice number of 17001, and 2001, and then you tried to go back to 18001, it would automatically increment the next invoice to be 2002.

Hope that helps.

@The_Lorax said:

In 2018, I changed it to 18001, hoping that the next invoice will automatically change to 18002 but instead it shows 17003

I think I see the problem now. The largest number from the "old" system is 4002018 however the "new" series is: 2019401 etc... 2018 was the year but it was not practicall as it was still adding 1 number such as 2019 2020 etc so we changed to 2019 (year) first and then the invoice number.

How to go around that?

@Rahim said:
    @Mick
    Can you share your custom invoice numbers that are not working so I can take a look. It will only increment based on the last number. For example, if your last invoice was 17001, the next one would be 17002 and so on.

The way the numbering works, is it will always take the largest invoice number ever used, and increment by 1.

If you had an invoice number of 17001, and 2001, and then you tried to go back to 18001, it would automatically increment the next invoice to be 2002.

Hope that helps.

can you just change on your end to my new format as per my invoice numbers in 2019???

• starburstnowstarburstnow Member Posts: 10

This is what I have tried.
    INV2020-0001
    Made new invoice and it is now INV2020-0002 saved that.
    Created new invoice changed it to INV2021-0001 saved that.
    Made new invoice and it is now INV2021-0002.

Seems like the rule is you can customize anything in from but the end will be going up in ascending order.

Best Regards,
    Stanley Fu