How to show customer VAT number on invoice

Peter Voigt KnudsenPeter Voigt Knudsen Member Posts: 3

Hi,

I need the customer VAT number to be printed on the invoice, but cannot find a field for this. Where do I put it? For now I have made it part of the address, but that is not really pretty.

Best regards,

Peter

Comments

• Sales DepartmentSales Department Member Posts: 1

I have the same issue. Can anyone help?

• InunuNetInunuNet Member Posts: 6

I have the same issue. Can anyone help?

• SophiaSophia Member Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all! @Peter Voigt Knudsen @Sales Department @InunuNet

Wave does not have a dedicated field on invoices for customer VAT numbers but the invoices are very customizable, so you'll need to get a little creative with where you put this number. Many users like to enter this in the Notes section on each invoice but the second line of the address field would also work, if you don't mind how it looks.

Hope that helps!

• plasmaxplasmax Member Posts: 1

@Sophia said:
    Hi all! @Peter Voigt Knudsen @Sales Department @InunuNet

Wave does not have a dedicated field on invoices for customer VAT numbers but the invoices are very customizable, so you'll need to get a little creative with where you put this number. Many users like to enter this in the Notes section on each invoice but the second line of the address field would also work, if you don't mind how it looks.

Hope that helps!

Seriously? An invoicing app doesn't have a field for the VAT number? It's ok to use the workarounds you have suggested, but this sounds a bit like a joke if you ask me - no offense!

I agree, VAT number should be a field in the customer settings if the field is populated it should be show on invoices after the customer/company name.

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @plasmax and @InunuNet.

Thank you for your feedback! I can't make any promises, I'm more than happy to pass your feedback along.

The character limit on invoices is very generous, in all but the most extreme cases, you should be able to add that VAT number next to the company name of one of your customers. I recognize that it isn't a perfect solution, but it'll all I can offer for the time being.

Thanks, I'm just showing my support for a permanent fix, I use the 2nd address field for VAT No. Currently and only have a few customers where this makes the invoice look amateur as they need the 2nd address field.

• dve83dve83 Member Posts: 9

By pure chance that I was looking for the same feature (and that within 3 days of the last post here).
    Hence, herewith my support for a dedicated VAT number field on the Customer Account.

Thankyou ;-)

Thanks for adding your voice to this discussion, @dve83!

• roxis2clvrroxis2clvr Member Posts: 3

Yes, please. I've already exhausted all of the address fields and there is no space for a VAT number now.

• alexgarciabalexgarciab Member Posts: 6

Please, add a field for TIN (Tax Identification Number). This is something needed from day 1 in an invoicing software.

edited August 24, 2018

Thank you both for adding your voices to this discussion, @roxis2clvr and @alexgarciab.

@alexgarciab, while we don't have a field to add customer's tax numbers to your invoices, you can add your own. You'll find that option in your Settings, on the Sales Tax page. Just click on the pencil icon next to a tax, and you'll see a field for your tax number as well as a checkbox to have it shown on invoices. I'm not sure if that's something you're looking for as well, but I thought it might help!

• alexgarciabalexgarciab Member Posts: 6

Thanks @Alexia. That definitely helped, but a box for client/supplier TIN would be necessary as well.

I'll pass that along to our product team, @alexgarciab.

• vladinavladina Member Posts: 1

I'd like to chime in and give my support for a VAT-number-dedicated field - I think that the VAT field for both customer AND vendor are compulsory EU-wide but I may be wrong.

Hi, @vladina, thank you for your feedback.

In a different discussion, another Waver told me they had moved things around to use one of the Address fields for VAT details in her client's profiles. It doesn't look bad either. If you can put your client's entire address in the Address 2 field, you could use Address 1 for their VAT number. It isn't a perfect solution, but it might help while there aren't alternatives.

• TerrorFactorTerrorFactor Member Posts: 1

Are there any concrete plans to change this?
    Having a few custom fields would be very useful. Next to missing the VAT number field, I am also missing an e-mail field. I am perplexed that this isn't included in a company that provides online services :)

You can only get so far with the fax/mobile/... fields. If you use more than 1, they include "FAX:" etc.

• indoindo Member Posts: 4

I find it strange that an accounting platform like Wave didn't accommodate a field for the customer VAT number from the beginning... I'm no accounting pro but this seems common sense to me. So please add my voice to getting this "feature" added. In the meantime I've worked around this by adding the text "VAT: xxxx" in the phone field for the customer which will add it to the bottom of the customer's address and above the customer's email. What scares me is that once they accommodate a VAT number field for the customer I'll have to edit all my customer's details :s:s:s

edited November 10, 2018

@TerrorFactor said:
    Are there any concrete plans to change this?
    Having a few custom fields would be very useful. Next to missing the VAT number field, I am also missing an e-mail field.

There's an email field in the customer details (you should find it easily when creating a new customer)

@vladina said:
    I'd like to chime in and give my support for a VAT-number-dedicated field - I think that the VAT field for both customer AND vendor are compulsory EU-wide but I may be wrong.

I've added my bank account details and company number/VAT number in the footer of the invoice.

• MátéMáté Member Posts: 1
    Yes it is compulsory to show vat on invoices in the EU and also nice if I could show registration number of the company.
    These workarounds are okayish till only one person deal with filling the invoices otherwise the vat sometimes be in the footer sometimes elsewhere. And of course people who want to use such an app want to organize everything properly, these people not a huge fan of these “messy” fixes, just feels bad!
    Your solution would be a nobrainer if could add an option to create extra lines but maybe it is too much work for eu costomers. So here is my solution: address, phone etc make them renamable, easy solution, and you have already done it with column titles in the invoice customization section. Everyone would be happy and people wouldn’t feel bad putting the vat in the fax line. hope it helps!

Example of the fix: line 1: custom title, line 2: custom title line 3 etc
    edited November 16, 2018
  • gcphotogcphoto Member Posts: 3

I would also like to see this implemented. Also a requirement in South Africa for invoices above a certain value. As a result, most places just include it on all invoices

• DarinDarin Member Posts: 1

My customer has requested my tax ID on each invoice. Please add this!

• AardvarksAardvarks Member Posts: 3

I asked for this feature several years ago - and still waiting.

I love using Wave, and the new design is very pretty, but essential items such as tax number are far more important than the site looking nice, IMHO.

This shouldn't be a huge change, unless the underlying design and code of Wave is really bad, so I can't for the life of me see why it has not been added. All the time spent by admins posting on here explaining the various workarounds would have been better spent on just implementing the change!!

• za_userza_user Member Posts: 2

I would also like to see this added.

I am evaluating Wave to switch over from another system, but it seems Wave is still a work in progress as there are a number of features missing from most other Accounting/Invoicing systems and the way this is going I will regrettably be unable to use Wave going forward. :/

• ShaunBShaunB Member Posts: 3

Come on WAVE you have a fantastic product, used by loads of techs and creatives by what I can see.
    Please add some simple features like a custom field under customers and you will resolve so many issues like this topic.

In many countries its becoming LAW to have both your company and your customers VAT or TAX numbers on the invoices. You are limiting your ability to sign up South African small businesses who are tax registered.

• ShaunBShaunB Member Posts: 3

Adding my support to this WAVE. It seems like a simple and sounds like this has been a feature request for years.

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

Right now, there are many workarounds that have been surfaced on this thread (predominantly, adding this information into the address fields for a customer) and this is the suggested workaround for now. You can also include it in the notes, or in the invoice summary section of the invoice.

Adding custom fields to customers that display on an invoice are not on the near term roadmap right now but as we make improvements to customers, we'll reconsider these new fields to add.

• WhiteXWhiteX Member Posts: 4

I'd like to chime in too. Entering VAT ID's in a dedicated input field would be a good start in making Wave more EU-friendly :) I exhausted all the input fields that do not display a label, and the resulting invoice is not the best looking, which is not nice for a design business. An easier fix would be an option on the extra input fields to hide the label. So adding VAT id's to the FAX label is not a good solution, since it'll look like this: Fax: VAT id: 123456... ,but if we could hide "Fax:", it would be great.

edited March 7, 2019