Options

Bank Account details don't show up when my Dashboard page initially loads up

chj915chj915 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭

I notice recently that when I open up my WAVE account dashboard page, my bank account section (widget) often show empty connections there. I have to refresh the page a couple of times in order to see my existing Bank Accounts.

Could this be a bug?

edited August 30, 2018 in Wave Features

Comments

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @chj915.

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache? It often clears up issues like this one. Trying to connect in Incognito mode might also help. If that works, it tells us the issue is likely with a browser extension interfering with this process. Can you give these two suggestions a shot and let me know if it helps?

• Options

It happens sometime to my new browser which I have never logged in WAVE account before. Even if it is related to Caching of browser, the website shouldn't be designed that way. The cache should always return my previous state of bank connection and balance. But in my case, the dashboard page shows up as if there were no bank connection at all. The details will return if I refresh my page a couple of times.

My bank connection information should be stored at server-level, not the client-side browser level. I don't think it is related to the browser or its caching at all. If it was, I don't think it is the right way to develop a website for this purpose.

I would expect the server-side always keep my previous or current bank connection and balance status. When I login the WAVE website, it should always fetch from the server-end with my most recent bank status. To the least, the dashboard should know that I have a couple of bank connections there. The browser or its cache can store my login state or some user preference.

• Options
    CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

@chj915 what browser are you using? I ask because you mention a new one. Some browsers (Brave for example) block functionality that the bank connection dashboard widget requires to function.

From your screenshot, I'd guess this is related to the browser and not to the integration itself. If the connection was not updating, you might see a perpetual spinner or a balance that was out of date. This looks instead like the widget can't display properly. For next steps, I would check the console for errors, try disabling extensions (if any), and confirm whether it works in Chrome or Firefox.

• Options

@Charlotte
    I mainly use Google Chrome for all computers. The missing Bank Connection issue sometimes is there sometimes it shows up correctly. It kinda 50-50 chance in the last few days.
    I use Windows 10 at home PC and a MacBook Pro laptop. At office, I use Windows 7.
    The browsers that I used and showed me that missing bank connection are Chrome, Firefox, and Safari (on Mac).
    As I said, if I refresh the page a couple of times, the bank connection will eventually show up.
    I will have to wait for next time when that Bank Connection is missing in order to take the screenshot. Right now, at this moment, the Bank Connections are always showing correctly in all browsers.

• Options

@Charlotte @Alexia
    Here are the screenshots that I took first thing after I arrived office this morning.
    I used Chrome to open the WAVE dashboard page and the bank connection section is empty.

I refreshed it once, it was still empty. Then I refreshed it 2nd time, the connections showed up.

• Options

Are you running any extensions, @chj915? If so, can you try turning them off and doing a hard refresh (that's ctrl+shift+R)? Some extensions can interact with that feature as well.

• Options

@Alexia
    The only extension that I can think of is AdBlock on Chrome.

• Options

@Alexia
    I just tried on my MacBook Pro using Firefox latest v60.0.1, and I am getting the same problem here. This Firefox does not have any extension. It is a brand new browser that I just installed and updated to the latest.

• Options

After one manual hard refresh on Firefox, the bank connection showed up correctly. I will have to keep testing for a few more days to investigate more.
    What if it really is the AdBlock or any type of block extension causing the issue, would WAVE somehow bypass that? or would WAVE will force the end users to turn off the extension?

edited May 29, 2018
  • Options

Hi, @chj915.

AdBlock is very, very likely the culprit here. Unfortunately, there's currently no way to bypass this. From what I understand after some more research, AdBlock simply doesn't play well with Javascript, which we use for many Wave features.

Because of this, having AdBlock active while you're using Wave can stop you from using a handful of features, including this one.

• Options

@Alexia
    I may disable the AdBlock for WAVE site in that case.