Options

Feature Request - Report by Category

Valerie_ACleverCatValerie_ACleverCat Member Posts: 9

There is apparently NO way to monitor expenses by category, other than to manually go through and sort transactions by each category, and just view them online. No way to export them, no way to generate a report.

I would love to see a report of expenses by category, or the ability to export transactions WITH categories (so the data can be manipulated by category).

How are we supposed to manage operations expense without this?

Thanks!

edited August 30, 2018 in Wave Features

Comments

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @Valerie_ACleverCat.

I see that you're on the old version on Wave. On the Reports page, click on General Ledger. Once there, click on detailed view. That should give you exactly what you're looking for.

• Options

@Alexia - is there a new version of Wave? How do I see that?

• Options

Yes, @Valerie_ACleverCat, we've been slowly moving everyone over for a few months now. We have seriously updated the interface of the Transactions page and made quite a few changes to Reports.

We're aiming to be done with the migration within the next 3-6 months. We're being careful as we want to protect our user's data integrity throughout the process.

If you'd like a preview, try making a new Wave account, all new Wave accounts use the new version. It might give you a headstart on getting used to the interface.

• Options

@Alexia - thanks for the info! I'll wait until they migrate me naturally (I don't want to have re-categorize all those transactions). Hopefully the new version will solve my category reporting problem. Unfortunately, even the General Ledger report still does not provide category detail. Just a long list of transactions. If that feature is NOT in the new version, please put a vote in for them to add it! I can't believe I'm the only one who would benefit from it. Thanks!

• Options

Hi, @Valerie_ACleverCat.

You won't see the category next to every transaction, but every transaction will be under a header for their own account, as in this screenshot.

The new version makes this report much cleaner, but it is organized the same way.

• Options

Hi @Alexia - thanks, that is helpful.

• Options
    laminajlaminaj Member Posts: 1

I do not see this on my wave account. Can you run a report and categorize by expense category? I love Waze and have been using for a year but now need to run this report and can't!

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

hey @laminaj

Have you looked into your account transactions (general ledger) report yet?

• Options
    acarsonacarson Member Posts: 4

The Account Transaction > General ledger report does not detail by category.

Are you sure there is not another way? This is what I see http://p.tri.be/FOKJWV and the categories breakdown is the most important part for taxes.

Can we request a custom report from support?

• Options
    BabyVolcanoBabyVolcano Member Posts: 1

@BarsinA

Hello, I am having the same needs as previous posters. I was really hoping Wave would help me sort and tally my expenses by category. This is necessary to deduct expenses for tax purposes. It seems like a simple thing to do given all the data I have added to Wave. How can I sort and tally my expenses by category?

Please help!

Thank you,
    Aaron

• Options
    JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@acarson @BabyVolcano I'm afraid requesting a custom report is not something that Wave currently offers. If you do require the category by category totals, you may find the Profit and Loss report helpful instead. Here you can see the totals for each income or expense account when you look at the detailed version of the report. Outside of this, you will likely need to export your data and then manipulate the data outside of Wave to create further custom reporting.

• Options

That helps, thank you @JordanD - I pulled categories from the P&L report

• Options

As a feature request, could you consider providing Notes of the purchase (where I note the client name, reason for purchase, etc.) either on the Profit Loss report or the Account Balance report? So I can see the category and note for each purchase? A thousand thanks - -

• Options
    jonnielydjonnielyd Member Posts: 1

hi, i do note that wave provide very clean and neat report files when we export our data. But is there any possibilities to add the feature to choose whether to include or exclude the NOTES of the transactions recorded (where we jot down important details for client names and etc) into the exported files? It will greatly increase the functionality for accounting and filling purposes.... a million thanks

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @jonnielyd

Thanks so much for this feedback in our community. The initial idea was to allow clickable transactions to bring you to your transactions page which will reveal any of the notes or description you might have.

We do of course appreciate your feedback in the community so don't stop commenting!