Wave thinks ofx file is csv when importing statements

bucklandjbucklandj Member Posts: 3

Hi, I'm new to forums in general.

My businesses using Wave lost their connections to their same bank last year for several months. Consequently I have to import those business' bank statements into Wave for the missing dates. When doing this for the first business, I tried to import an ofx file which I had downloaded from my bank. It seemed to work fine, but only about 1 month's transactions were imported when the file should have contained about 6 months transactions. I re-downloaded a new ofx file for the new missing dates, but when I tried to import them into wave it said "The CSV file must contain an amount, date and description column. Learn more". I tried re naming the file etc but Wave continued to think the ofx file was csv. I eventually gave up and tried to upload the missing transactions into a second business which uses Wave and had exactly the same experience. It worked but only for a reduced date range of transactions, then mistook the ofx files for csv giving me the same error message.

I saw similar issue to mine here but it is not quite the same so I started a new discussion.

All assistance appreciated.

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

You were right to start a new discussion, @bucklandj. The one you linked was related to a larger problem that was preventing all users from uploading their bank statements for a short while.

Is your bank statement particularly large? Documents with more than 100 rows tend to not successfully upload in Wave. If you have a large number of transactions, could you try uploading individual statements for shorter periods instead?

• bucklandjbucklandj Member Posts: 3

Hi Alexia, Thanks for your suggestion. I tried uploading a date range with about 20 transactions in it and Wave still think the .ofx file with proper extension etc was a.csv file and gives me the same error message. Any other suggestions?

• bucklandjbucklandj Member Posts: 3

Ooh, I think I may have worked this out. I tried to open my downloaded .ofx file with Notepad and a file opened with the text "No Transactions", so I went to my other bank's site and download a .ofx file then opened it with Notepad and there was lots of info in there. Conclusion: There something wrong with my first bank's .ofx download service. Thanks for your time though.

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @bucklandj.

Hey, no problem at all! I'm glad we figured it out in the end!