Options

Overpayment and underpayment

AaronBenedictAaronBenedict Member Posts: 3

Hi Folks,

I recently had an issue come up which I'm hoping you can help me out with. I have invoice #1 which the client overpaid by about $200. I knew this and I should have split the deposit when I was reconciling the banking, however, I did not do that. I applied the whole payment to invoice #1.

When invoice #2 came due the client underpaid me by $200 because he had overpaid me in invoice #1. How can I have the overpayment from invoice #1 reflect in #2?

Thanks in Advance,
Aaron Benedict

Comments

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @AaronBenedict.

Your easiest solution here is to go back to your overpaid invoice and remove the payment for it. Once that's done, add the payment again and split it so you can put that extra $200 on the underpaid invoice.

Here's how you'll do this:

• Click to your first invoice, on the Invoices page, under Sales.
    • Make a note of the payment's date. Go to "Remove payment", under the "Get Paid" header.
    • Go to your transactions page and create a new income transaction for the amount of the full payment you received. Click "Split this transaction". The first part should be the amount for the first invoice, and the second, the $200 overpayment.
    • Categorize the first part as a payment for your first invoice, and the second as a payment to your second invoice.

This will make all your dates and numbers match up with reality. Does this all make sense? Let me know if you have any questions!

• Options
    AaronBenedictAaronBenedict Member Posts: 3

@Alexia This worked perfectly. Thanks for your help and a shout out to @Charlotte for getting me into the community :D

@Alexia said:
    Hi, @AaronBenedict.

Your easiest solution here is to go back to your overpaid invoice and remove the payment for it. Once that's done, add the payment again and split it so you can put that extra $200 on the underpaid invoice.

Here's how you'll do this:

• Click to your first invoice, on the Invoicespage, under Sales.
    • Make a note of the payment's date. Go to "Remove payment", under the "Get Paid" header.
    • Go to your transactions page and create a new income transaction for the amount of the full payment you received. Click "Split this transaction". The first part should be the amount for the first invoice, and the second, the $200 overpayment.
    • Categorize the first part as a payment for your first invoice, and the second as a payment to your second invoice.

This will make all your dates and numbers match up with reality. Does this all make sense? Let me know if you have any questions!

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

You are more than welcome, @AaronBenedict!

Welcome to the Community, and enjoy your stay :)

• Options
    CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Welcome @AaronBenedict great to see you here!