ERROR MESSAGE When deleting existing Sales Taxes

FanlikeFanlike Member Posts: 13

Hi All,

I'm trying to delete Sales Taxes I created by mistake. I go to Settings/Sales Taxes and I push the rubbish bin icon, but I always get the following error Message:

We can't delete this tax because it's associated with the following:

XXX
XXX

To delete this tax, remove it from the items listed above.

I have removed the Sales Taxes from the items listed above (here reported as XXX), but after that, I still can't get rid of the Sales Taxes I want to delete from the list. Can anyone help with this issue?

Thanks a lot!!

Tagged:
edited August 2, 2018 in Technical Support

Comments

• barrytbarryt Member Posts: 31

Me too! Did you get it solved?

• FanlikeFanlike Member Posts: 13

Hi Barry, no I didn't solve it, still having those sales taxes I created by mistake, which is rather confusing when you have to assign specific tax regimes to transactions. Hope someone can fix it at some point

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @Fanlike and @barryt.

First, I'm sorry we missed that post earlier, @Fanlike. Let's see if we can't find what happened.

To be able to remove that tax, you have to remove it from every past transaction, product, invoice or bill it's linked to. Can you both tell me more about what you're being told to remove this tax from? If you both can give me a screenshot of the error message? It will help me document this as well. Just make sure you obfuscate any personal information on there.

Hi, screen shot below.
    The hyper link on the message takes me to the expense transaction list page. I've deleted everything related to that supplier (computer_alliance). The expense transaction was originally created when I tested 'add a receipt', which I have subsequently deleted. The actual name "computer_alliance" only got created by the receipt process (I didn't key that name in anywhere), so I am guessing there's some link still there to the old receipt.

I am still setting up/testing so I have very few transactions to check at the moment hence I am confident there's no current entries with the old salestax code I want to delete.

Thanks
    Barry

• FanlikeFanlike Member Posts: 13

Hi, I'm also sending the screen shot below.
    The hyper link takes me to the expense transaction list page. I have removed the tax sales from every transaction it was previously linked to, but I have NOT deleted everything related to that supplier, since I have already a pretty long list of transactions.

Thanks

Hi @barryt and @Fanlike.

You'll have to delete both the transactions AND the receipts on the Receipts page. In essence, you have to remove anything that's connected in any way to that tax before Wave allows you to delete it. Deleting the transaction created by a receipt doesn't delete the receipt. So you'll have to track these down and remove them.

Hi @Alexia ,
    Thanks for the note. Because I am just still setting up and only have a few test transactions, I deleted everything. All receipts, transactions, customers etc etc. Everthing is gone other than chart of accounts.
    Still I am unable to delete the unwanted sales tax. The reason i want to delete it is that I didn't set it to recoverable and I learned that it's not possible to change that once it's done.
    Is it possible to 'reset' the database?
    Thanks

Hi, @barryt and @Fanlike.

I did some more digging and there is an issue our engineers are working on that makes it so some of our users can't delete sales taxes that were used on receipts. Thank you both for your help in investigating this.

I tagged this thread so I can keep you updated when I have more information.

@barryt, you have a few options. You could just archive that entire business and create a new one from scratch. You don't really have anything else in your account right now, so it wouldn't be much of a pain to start from scratch. Alternatively, you could just let that tax linger until it can be deleted. I don't have a timeline to give at the moment, but your idea to rename it to something unmistakable is what I would've recommended as well.

Again, thank you both for your help.

@alexia , thanks for checking this out and your responsiveness.