Options

Generate Sales Receipt

AmyAmy Member Posts: 1

I have generated an invoice for my customer and he has paid up. How do i generate a receipt (same formatting as Invoice but document with title “Receipt”) for him as proof of payment?

Comments

• Options
    CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hi Amy! It looks like there was a duplicate post for this issue so I've gone ahead and deleted the other. When you mark an invoice as paid, there will be a button to send a receipt. If you have an invoice that has already been paid, click on that invoice to open it, and you'll see that sending a receipt is an option under the Get Paid header.

• Options
    ZeldaZelda Member Posts: 10

Is there a way to send a simple receipt without creating an invoice? I went to all the trouble to create an 3 invoices after people had paid, so that I could provide them receipts. They had paid through my website with a credit card. When I recorded the payment and created a receipt and sent it to them, all was fine. However, after I split the payment in my transactions to account for the merchant fees, it disabled the "payment record", reactivated the invoice, which showed that it was not paid, and disabled the link to the receipt. If the customer clicks on the invoice link in the email, it looks like it is due and provides a way to pay with credit card. I ended up deleting the invoices after making a pdfs, and sending it to them over email. This seems like such a simple thing to solve. Why not have a receipt option attached to the transaction page when you manually enter a deposit?
    I searched everywhere I can think of to find a simple receipt option.

• Options
    wbanzwbanz Member Posts: 3

I receive payments for which no invoice has been raised. How do I generate a receipt for this?

edited October 23, 2019
  • Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @Zelda , there's no way to send a receipt without having the invoice. Based on the way you described the situation, I think if you were accounting for the merchant fees in a different way then you'd have no issues sending the receipt. Feel free to check out the article attached below. By following the steps, you can still fully mark the invoice as paid, while also accounting for merchant fees in Wave. This will allow you to send a receipt for the amount paid as the invoice will still be marked as such.

https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000472306-How-to-account-for-transaction-fees

• Options

Yes, but the difference is that I do not have my bank set up any more, and am manually entering the credit card payment.

• Options

It would be really nice to be able to provide a way to make a simple receipt, that would not affect any of the accounting in the Wave transactions.

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @wbanz . To generate a receipt in Wave, you do have to have a created Invoice. What you can do moving forward if you have already received payment is create an Invoice without sending it to the customer. You can then attach the payment in your Transactions page to it by categorizing the transaction as "Payment received for an Invoice in Wave". Within the invoice itself, under the "Get Paid" section, you can then choose the option to send a receipt to yoru customer.

• Options
    Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@Zelda thanks for your feedback about this; right now, receipts for income you've received are going to be necessarily rooted in invoices that accompany them. If you're manually entering credit card payments that your customers have made to you, you can still create invoices which correspond with what they bought from you, and then categorize these income transactions as "payment for invoice xxxx in Wave". This would allow you to generate a receipt; although, once again, I'd like to reiterate that we don't have current plans for a tool which generates standalone receipts.

• Options
    Mrm____lv114Mrm____lv114 Member Posts: 11

Any way to automatically send a receipt to a customer once payment is made?

• Options
    QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

@Mrm____lv114 Although you won't be able to have the receipt sent to your customer automatically, your customer does have the option to download the receipt upon making the payment through your Wave invoice. As you may already know, you can manually send a receipt after payment through the invoice itself in Wave.

• Options
    kmcyoungkmcyoung Member Posts: 2

I need to send an itemized receipt- basically the invoice, except with the word "receipt". Is this possible?

• Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @kmcyoung , thanks for your message! I'm afraid this is not possible in Wave - the Invoices will be able to be called Invoices only, as in Wave, Receipt is defined as the record of an expense to your business, and Invoice is defined as a record of future income to your business. If you like, you can change the invoice number to include the word Receipt in it so that your invoices do say receipt somewhere!

• Options
    kmcyoungkmcyoung Member Posts: 2

Thanks- that is a great idea for customers who need an itemized receipt!

• Options
    KataliKatali Member Posts: 1
    Read the posts and responses. I still believe the good wave team will look into this important request. For tax purposes, in some markets, you want to create invoices after service is provided even when customers make deposits. so, In my view, provide a receipt function and can select to credit a deposit account while cash goes to a bank or cash account. I can then pay off the invoice from the deposit accout as is the case now.
    Right now, a tenant has made a deposit on rentals starting 1 November. I want to invoice in november and not today!! But I still need to issue a receipt to tenant now.
  • Options
    SkillsfuhlifeSkillsfuhlife Member Posts: 2

I think that Wave really needs to add a feature for recording a Sales Receipt. It is easier for a small business owner to record cash sales via an option of a Sales Receipt instead of recording an invoice and then recording a payment.