Options

Attachments to invoices

VenistonVeniston Member Posts: 2

It would be really useful to me to be able to send attachments with invoices. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this but as a consultant I invoice for time primarily, but also expenses. Sometimes when I act as an embedded subcontractor I have to do a customer timesheet which needs to go with an invoice, or I have to include scans of receipts with expenses.

It would be nice to keep those together in the system, or at least be able to have them all go in the same e-mail.

Comments

• Options
    nycregoddessnycregoddess Member Posts: 3

Me too. I just switched to Wave because it's a complete set of books. But previously I used a different system called Hiveage which had a great tracking feature for both expenses and time (I basically only used the expenses). I did the expense entry and attached the receipt scan. Then when I was ready to bill for reimbursement, I just clicked all the entries for one client and clicked "create invoice". Everything went into the invoice along with a link to download the original receipt. So much easier.

• Options
    Michelle_AMichelle_A Member Posts: 45 admin

Hi there- great suggestion! As of right now, you can export/download your invoice as a PDF and edit from your own device. In doing so, you could add this attachment and send it from your own email address.

However, it's definitely helpful to see how you have used a feature like this in the past, @nycregoddess! This is certainly something that has been requested from users before. @Veniston - I'd love to know how often do you find in your business that this would be a necessary feature?

• Options
    VenistonVeniston Member Posts: 2

The expense/receipt thing that @nycregoddess mentioned would be extremely useful I agree. For some contracts I have direct reimbursement, other with say 10% mark-up. I can calculate that out myself but the ability to select and attach would be great. Moreso even if we could tag the receipts to a particular customer or job number--I know it could be done by assigning receipts into individual 'accounts', but eventually I'd end up with a stack of different accounts that aren't being actively used.

On the attachments, I have to attach a status or progress report to around half my invoices. I have so far invoiced mainly to one company because I'd subcontracted through them, but going forward I'll be invoicing more to my direct customers many of whom want to see a progress report (statement of budget spent vs remaining and forecast to complete, which I prepare separately) or other work approval document with the invoice. Yes I can download and send separately but then I move away from the online view functionality, and though I haven't done it so far the online pay functionality is also not be useful for this.

I'd use it maybe half the time?

Thanks!

• Options
    nycregoddessnycregoddess Member Posts: 3
    Yes I agree that the markup option would ve great as well. I foresee myself doing this arrangement with some new clients.
    And it would solve a different issue I am having with invoicing for reimbursement, which is that every time I put in an amount for reimbursement it gets saved as a different item, which clogs up my list of billable items.
    The idea of exporting invoices and adding the scans of items to be reimbursed is a real downer. I would have to go back to Hiveage and then do complicated exports back to Wave, which has not been fun so far in transferring my previous histories over.
  • Options
    missingcowmissingcow Member Posts: 2

Will Wave be looking into adding the capability of attaching receipts in the Add Expense window? I usually purchase products for my clients that will be reimbursed after and doesn't look like I should add those receipts under Purchases? Any advice will be appreciated!

• Options
    Elaine_Scott01Elaine_Scott01 Member Posts: 1

I think there should be an option to attach receipts to an invoice. It is all well and good putting the expense on the invoice but the receipt should be attached as proof of purchase. Please could you look into doing this ASAP.
    many thanks,
    Elaine Scott

• Options
    tsfjaxtsfjax Member Posts: 47 ✭✭

@Elaine_Scott01 said:
    I think there should be an option to attach receipts to an invoice. It is all well and good putting the expense on the invoice but the receipt should be attached as proof of purchase. Please could you look into doing this ASAP.
    many thanks,
    Elaine Scott

100% — especially for clients who audit expenses they have to reimburse. Eliminates a lot of hassle and time spend exporting invoices and attaching them to emails with copies of receipts. It’s a lot of time wasted for a seemingly simple exercise.

edited September 20, 2020
  • Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @missingcow, @Elaine_Scott01, and @tsfjax !

Thank you for expressing your interest in this feature. We really value and appreciate your feedback and contributions to the Wave Community. We know that this is a popular feature idea shared by our users. To be completely transparent with you, we're not exactly sure where this feature lies on our product roadmap. Your feedback is always insightful for when developers sift through our public forums when looking to implement/build out a new feature. Once again, thanks expressing your interest in invoice attachments!

• Options
    sumthndfrntsumthndfrnt Member Posts: 1

Concur with above comments. I would **love **the option to add an expense to an invoice, and then be able to attach a receipt as proof of purchase (especially a receipt I've already uploaded). My clients audit the invoice and receipts I send them, then reimburse me for expenses.

If I can add a community vote to help this feature make it onto the future product roadmap, consider this me raising my hand! Love love love the rest of the experience so far! Truly a wonderful UX. Thanks for creating such a great resource !