Options

More than one custom invoice?

kb_at_upwkb_at_upw Member Posts: 2

I design books, curricula, and other long documents. My customers are publishers, individuals, and educational companies.
The problem I am hoping to solve with this feature suggestion is that one customized invoice is not that helpful when my clients have different requirements. Some require hourly billing, others are billed on a total project fee, the columns and headings I need are different for different customers. Since I bill the same customers (same customer but different jobs, i.e. same publisher, different book title), it would be great to be able to create more than one customized invoice.
My suggestion implemented would mean you could save different invoice templates, like "hourly", "project-based", "hourly, net-60" (instead of the current single customized invoice).
Wave would need to create a way to save more than one customized invoice.
It would also be helpful to have the customer set-up include a place to enter the billing time (net 30, 60, etc.) so that would automatically be filled in to their invoices when a new invoice is created for that customer.
I think anyone who repeatedly bills the same clients, but has to set up their invoices differently depending on what each client requires would use this feature. It would be a time-saver.
In conjunction with this, it would be very helpful to have a "jobs" option so you could have one customer, and then sub entries for each job. (I have worked with the same publishers for years and have dozens of different projects with each.) It would be much easier to track the individual projects if they were subcategories of each customer rather than have to include the job with the customer the way things are set up currently. So instead of:

Same Customer/Different Project

You would have:

Customer

Project
Project
Project

Next Customer

Project
Project
Project

Thanks for listening!

edited October 4, 2018 in Wave Features

Comments

• Options
    TylerKTylerK Member Posts: 94 admin

Wow @kb_at_upw this is such a smart idea! It would save so much time too. In my mind it would work like:

1. Customer select
    2. Invoice template select
    3. Necessary field entry depending on invoice template selected (i.e. hours)
    4. Any necessary additions/edits

We are still ironing out some details of how we currently handle invoices (i.e. refunds, discounts, etc.) but this is great insight for how to make Wave even more efficient! Thanks for taking the time to share a little about your business and how Wave can help 😊

• Options
    kb_at_upwkb_at_upw Member Posts: 2

Thanks, Tyler, for responding! Your idea of how that would work is just right. :)