How do automatic payments work?

2»

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @robbar1

As @NicoletteB mentioned access to a client's bank account info is vastly different from a credit card and has significantly less. Credit cards protect you from fraudulent transactions by using chargeback methods, while most banks often don't have this type of feature. Having access to someones bank info will mean that there may be more of a threat for fraudulent activity if a business owner decided to charge their client's account for an invoice not related to them.

Wave has an internal disputes team that helps mediate a chargeback to ensure that the business owner or client is rightfully paid, however the disputes team does not handle any issues with bank payments.

Hopefully this gives you more context as to why we have this in place.

• EnterprisingEnterprising Member Posts: 1

Does the service allow for split payments? The rent is split (sometime equally) between two occupants of the apartment. They each want to be able to send a payment that equal less than the total amount. Is this possible?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Enterprising! Great question! Your customer can always choose how much they would like to pay on an invoice, so they do have the ability to make partial payments and split that rent.

• PedroAramburuPedroAramburu Member Posts: 1

Hey, so you send the invoice as a one time payment, they pay it with their credit card and once they do so you save their info and charge automatically, correct?

Hey there @PedroAramburu

Autopayments would typically be ideal for recurring invoices where a charge comes off the clients credit card is more frequent. However what you can do is ask your client for their credit card info if they wish to share it, save this under Sales > Customers > Select the credit card button beside their name and you should be able to charge their credit card on invoices that you create in the future

• CharlesNCharlesN Member Posts: 11

Is there a way to require a customer to save their card information when paying an invoice?
    I do web design, and take a 50% deposit up front and the remainder at the end of the project. I've run into issues where clients "disappear" and per my contract with them I will automatically charge their card the final amount if this occurs. Issue is, most of my clients are not saving their details when they make their first payment. Short of taking payments over the phone I can't find a safe/secure method of securing their card details to protect myself in this instance.

Hey @CharlesN

For security reasons, Wave requires the consent of the cardholder in order to store this information in our system. When it comes to recurring invoice automatic payments, it sends them a digital signature asking them to sign off on storing their card information for automatic recurring payments. If they pay a regular invoice, they also have the ability for them to store their card info in your system, but again at their own consent.

Thank you @BarsinA. I figured this was the case.
    I've decided I will be capturing credit cards via an authorization form outside of Wave and then I will manually add them to their Wave Customer profile via my dashboard. None of my customers are selecting the option to store their card (there is no value prop for them to do so) and it is too difficult to explain it to them when it's not required. Please pass along to your product team we need an option to make the "store card" checkbox required or more prevalent. Or a way to send a request to capture and store it (i.e., credit card authorization form) outside of sending an invoice. I'm not trying to solve for reoccurring/automatic payments, but for one-time customers who pay in at least 2 installments (i.e., deposit and final payments). I need the ability to automatically charge the card for the second installment as a protection mechanism. I had a customer just this month quit responding to us and essentially skipped out on paying the second half of their project fees. Our agreements all say we will automatically charge the card on file, but since we can't enforce adding a card to file we have no way of actually doing so. I really don't like the idea of taking card information outside of Wave, but I'm not seeing a workaround.

Hey there @CharlesN

Thanks so much for explaining your use-case scenario and how a feature like this would benefit your particular business. I love the idea of using a third party authorization form. To be honest, I'd recommend that you continue with this as it will greatly decrease your case of losing a chargeback against a client. Our Risk team and Financial services team love seeing a credit card authorization form if ever a chargeback comes up!

Thank you @X_Æ_A_Xii.
    The only concern about the third-party Authorization Form increases the security risk to the customer by capturing the authorization outside of the security of Wave (plus adds risk to me as a business in storing it). Ideally, everything should be kept within the secure app of Wave. Including an "authorization form" like feature in Wave, where I could capture the customer's consent and store the card details outside of the context of sending an invoice, would achieve the same outcome, but with less risk to the customer.

Thanks for listening and your continued support! Keep being awesome!

• LaeniLaeni Member Posts: 4

I've scrolled through the thread and didn't see an answer to the question I have (and if it's there--sorry for the repeat!) I have auto invoices set up for our clients (we bill monthly on the 1st--flat fee, due on receipt). I have one customer that did not pay the August or September invoice. Today she payed her August invoice and at the same time set up Auto-Pay. What will now happen to her September invoice, if anything? Will auto-pay "skip" her September invoice and then move on to the October invoice when it comes due or will it automatically charge her CC for September & October on the 1st? Thanks in advance for the help & insight!

edited September 17, 2020

Hey @Laeni

Wave will not retroactively charge for the September invoice. You should see this unpaid invoice under Sales > Invoices > All invoices. Here you can resend it to your client to ensure that they make a solo payment on that invoice, however moving forward the October and subsequent invoices should be charged automatically.

Hope this helps!

• RicardoSRicardoS Member Posts: 2

I am based in South Africa and would like to use the Yocco payment link to allow my clients to process payments online or Via a Pay now button in email that is sent with the invoice.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @RicardoS , I'm afraid we don't have an integration with Yocco at the moment. You can always add a Yocco URL for payment to your Wave invoices when sending them.

• RicardoSRicardoS Member Posts: 2

I have added the link in the custom message area. The link cannot be clicked on to direct the client to the payment screen. The link for the payment gate way is https://pay.yoco.com/sampson-technologies

Hey @RicardoS , do you mean that the link isn't being hyperlinked? If so, that is unfortunately the case with this section. Your customer can still copy + paste it into the URL bar though.

• LaeniLaeni Member Posts: 4

Is there a simple way to see a list of customers that have signed up for autopay and which customers are manually paying their invoice?

Hey @Laeni , at the moment, we don't support a feature that would allow you to view which customers are on autopay. I'd love to hear more about your workflow though and how this feature would help you. Let us know!

• funnelofunnelo Member Posts: 1

I just signed uip and when I click accep t payments it says I need to contact support but there is no support.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @funnelo !

After doing some digging on the back end, it looks like one of our support agents assisted you via your ticket request. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get back in touch! :smile:

• Legacy_Jolene2020Legacy_Jolene2020 Member Posts: 1

My name is Jolene. My email address is xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

Theres no contact for support by phone?? I should of received two payments in my linked account today. One payment was processed on the 9th and the other payment was processed on the 12th both by visa. The funds are still not in my account. When should I expect them to be in my account. It says todays date, April 14th, and its almost 4pm.

edited April 21, 2021
  • JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Legacy1 !

After doing some digging on the back end I noticed that your April 9th invoice was paid via ACH bank payment. ACH payments take 2-7 business days to process unlike credit card payments (1-2 business days). So since the invoice was paid on the 9th, your funds would land in your account by April 20th at the latest (for additional context, the day the payment is made is considered business day zero). With that being said, I can confirm that your funds paid via the invoice in question landed on the 14th. Feel free to view your payout details on your end by heading over to your Banking > Payouts page.

For future reference, when faced with an issue like this one, I recommend reaching out to our Support team via live chat or ticket request to get this sorted out as soon as possible. If it isn't possible to resolve your issue over email or live chat, one of our agents can book you in for a phone call between 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST, Monday - Friday, with an hour’s notice.

Just a heads up, I removed your email from your post above for privacy purposes. :smile:

edited April 21, 2021
  • SharifahBrown_83SharifahBrown_83 Member Posts: 2
    I received a email saying that they cant accept credit card payment for my business and they will refund my client money how long is this process cause we are both confused on why yall cant accept payment from credit card
  • SharifahBrown_83SharifahBrown_83 Member Posts: 2
    Khi why cant we talk to a live person this message things aint working it makes it really hard to get your point across and you have to wait days for a response when you need one asap this is a little crazy this hold up a lot of people business.
  • sean_dsean_d Member Posts: 4

Implementing a recurring ACH option would be awesome. This would allow me to get several customers would be willing to do automatic payments but using ACH.