How to handle sales tax returns and refunds from your government

124»

Comments

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @Hisham_A !

It appears that some of your Wave pages might not be communicating with each other, and this is why you are seeing discrepancies in the numbers between different pages.

I have triggered an accounting data fix on your account, and it showed that your account was in need of this! The reports and accounts should be properly connected within 15-30 minutes, depending on how much data there was to fix. If, after that time the accounts are still off, please let me know and we can go from there.

• ScspaScspa Member Posts: 1

My Sales Tax Report not showing any sales subject to taxes? How do I fix this?

Hey @Scspa !

To clarify, did you apply any sales taxes to your products and services on your bills, invoices, or transactions? You will need to do so in order to make use of your Sales Tax report. For more information, I attached some handy Help Center articles below:

• RedThistleRedThistle Member Posts: 3

Hi,
    I can't seem to find a way to view the amount of tax (gst) I have paid on one expense account at a time. I can only view the total taxes paid on all expenses when I open the Sales Tax Report. I need to make adjustments for the personal portion of my vehicle usage as well as food and travel expenses, and to do so I need to be able to see how much gst was paid on food, fuel, maintenance, etc. How can I view total taxes paid (during a chosen period) on a specific expense account?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @RedThistle , As it turns out this isn't a feature that Wave supports at the moment. Because the tax is an account of its own, you're unable to see what other accounts this is associated to. You'd have to go through the transactions manually associated to each Sales Tax account to get a better picture of this.

• RedThistleRedThistle Member Posts: 3

@AlexL Thanks for the response, good to know I am not just missing something and driving myself nuts! Unfortunately I put a lot of time into moving my small business accounting onto Wave this year and unfotunately now that tax season has arrived it is becoming evident that Wave is not saving me time or helping to streamline my taxes in the was I had hoped it would help. It sucks because I spent a lot of time entering receipts and other transactions over this past year, only to find out that I have to go back through them manually to get the information that I need. I am having a similar issue with not being able to view the total amount invoiced over a given (2020) period, and had to go and manually enter all of my invoices into a spreadsheet (which is how I used to do it anyways). I moved to Wave to simplify my accounting life and now I am having to drop Wave and go back to how I used to do it - I wasted a lot of hours on Wave this past year, it kinda sucks. Maybe I will come back at some point if these issues can be figured out, but until then it's not serving my needs.

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hi @RedThistle,

I'm sorry that Wave hasn't been as streamlined as you hoped for your business so far. One thing I would like to mention is that you are able to view the total amount invoiced over a given period, by using our Income by Customer Report. This generates the invoice totals for specific period e.g. 2020, and divides them by Customer!

Alternatively you can use the Account Transactions Report and filter for the Income account that the products/services detailed on your invoices are mapped to, e.g. Sales :smile:

Hopefully this helps improve your workflow!

• Mikeisland1Mikeisland1 Member Posts: 3
    How do i get sales tax reports on my wave mobile app?
  • NancyCNancyC Member Posts: 148 admin

Hi @Mikeisland1 There isn't an option to access reports on our two mobile apps (Wave Invoicing and Wave Receipts), If you'd like to access your Sales Tax report on a phone, you'll need to log into your Wave account on a browser app at www.waveapps.com. Once you've logged in, you can head to Reports > Sales Tax Report to generate the report.

• GrimGrim Member Posts: 1

Please help me Im not seeing any sales tax in reports i have entered in accounting expenses and included the GST and nothing is appearing in reports What am I doing wrong

Hello @Grim !

To clarifying, are you trying to generate a sales tax report? If so, you can generate one by heading over to Reports > Sales Tax Report. This report will display taxes collected from sales and paid on purchases to help you file sales tax returns. We have a great Help Center article on this report as well. Feel free to check it our here.

Also, if you are unable to see the Sales Tax report on the Reports page altogether, I suggest trying some basic browser troubleshooting. If this doesn't resolve your issue, do you mind sending me a screenshot of what you are seeing on your end?

If I missed the mark, please let me know and I will gladly assist you further.

edited March 19, 2021
  • MikaCMikaC Member Posts: 2

Like a few people in this thread, I was really hoping to calculate the GST (Canadian sales tax) paid on specific expense accounts (like Parking, supplies, ect), in order to create my expense reports. It's great you can assign sales tax to a specific expense category, but then you can't calculate it, which is frustrating. Is there any plan to have this feature in the future?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @MikaC , we don't have any plans at this very moment to implement this in the near future, but adding your voice to the conversation is always encouraged so we have an idea of how important of a feature this is to our users.

• KatriceKatrice Member Posts: 1

What do you do when the government gives you a vendor credit for paying tax on time. How do you journal this?

• NancyCNancyC Member Posts: 148 admin

hi @Katrice Is the government issuing a vendor credit or applying a discount for paying taxes on time? If it's a discount where you don't have to pay the full amount, we have a section in our How sales tax works in Wave that covers this. Under the section "How to record a discount on sales tax owed".

edited June 7, 2021