Understanding bank connections

2»

Comments

• CaucHaitianCaucHaitian Member Posts: 2

I'm trying to connect my bank account I finally got access to my bank account online.... Now for some reason I can't seem to log into my WaveApps account..... the link I have only takes me to the page for signing up as a n ew user....I can t find a link on Google.... I'm so frustrated right now
    Darryl Brown
    727-330-5944

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

hey there @CaucHaitian

I may need a bit more info from you in order to potentially diagnose the issue. What errors are you seeing when you try to log in? Is this a user credentials error or an MFA error? Would you mind sending a screenshot of the error you're getting when you try to connect your bank under Banking > Connected accounts?

Here are some potential steps you can take to troubleshoot:

1. Delete your bank connection entirely.

2. Can you log into your online bank portal and make sure that you take note of the URL that is used once you've successfully logged in.

3. Go back to your Wave account and add a new bank account. Search for the financial institution. You may see several different types of connections for the same bank here. Select the most appropriate connection to your bank's online URL.

4. Ensure that the same credentials you used to log in to your online bank is the exact same as what you're typing into Wave.

If this does not work, I would try selecting a few different connections from the list. Sometimes the general umbrella connection is what works best.

Lastly if this does not work, it may be that your bank or your accounts are no longer supported on our new banking aggregator.

• WaltbxWaltbx Member Posts: 1

My problem with my bank connection was identified: "After a successful first connection, you have changed your password and your connection in Wave needs to be updated." That's it. I changed my bank password however, there is no information here on how to change the password Wave uses to sign into my bank. Should be simple, but it is not.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Waltbx! I can see that you'd reached out with this inquiry over a ticket to the Support Team. As this is a case-by-case situation, and is particularly involved (including some sensitive questions we wouldn't ask over the Community forums), I will ensure that your ticket is addressed.

• regenerationfarmregenerationfarm Member Posts: 1

I just spoke with my bank and they said that the newer data integrator Wave is now using "Plaid" has unaddressed security concerns that they have contacted Plaid about and have not been resolved. They are blocking Plaid; my bank identified a number of similar data integrator services that they do not block because they do not have security concerns. I assume the previous data integrator service Wave used was one of these as I never had a problem before. I would like to see a response to @SFWaver2016 's post below unless Wave plans to address this issue with Plaid or change back to a service without security concerns. For what its worth, my bank stated that a number of other banks have now blocked interactions with Plaid for the same reasons. I am going to have to change accounting services if this isn't resolved. If it wasn't a security concern that was the issue I would consider changing banks, but this reflects badly on Wave to not address this issue when clients financial security is at stake.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @regenerationfarm

Although we take great pride in our security at Wave we understand that some banks do not accept the standards for Plaid although an overwhelming majority of other banks do. Take Capital One for example. They have removed and discontinued their integration with Plaid for security reasons. We cannot comment on Plaid's security though we would recommend you reach out to plaid directly about this. Wave does not have any plans on removing the integration with Plaid however we do always offer other methods to uploading your transactions without a bank connection!

CSV Uploader

Using our CSV uploader. With the proper formatting, you are able to download a CSV document containing all of your transactions from your online banking website, and upload them directly to Wave. Check out this article on Troubleshooting your csv upload if you run into any problems when uploading your transactions.

Wave Connect

My personal favorite method is WAVE CONNECT.
    Wave Connect allows you to upload or download transactional data, invoices, customer lists, etc, into a Google spreadsheet. Your excel files can be easily transferred into a Google Spreadsheet as well. See this image below of what Wave Connect looks like:
    image All you need to do is input the transactional information into a template that is generated through the add-on feature in Google sheets and it auto-populates right into your Wave account once you've validated the data.

• RandalDRandalD Member Posts: 2

There are numerous complaints from users even as far back as a year ago complaining about issues since Wave moved to Plaid. Many people mentioned that there used to be a 'Refresh' button with the old data aggregator. All of the responses are generic 'we are working on it' and 'good idea about refresh button - will raise this with peers at Wave' etc. I am a new user. I wish I read all of these blogs before setting up and migrating to Wave. One of the main reason I think most people have chosen Wave is the bank connection and receipt upload feature (which is very cool). My bank connection worked fine for days and then stopped cold about 2 weeks ago. I spent hours reading and trying to solve this issue including CHAT with Wave support for over and hour only to be told they would open a ticket and days later an email saying 'I have received an update from our third party data aggregator and unfortunately it seems to be a deeper issue with the bank connection. They are now aware of this and are working on fixing it as soon as possible. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA" and the ticket has been closed. I am in Canada and we have only 3 or 4 main chartered banks. CIBC is the one I use and is one of the largest in Canada. So I am not sure why Plaid is having 'deeper issues' and why it worked for a week and now stopped. I wanted to use Wave for Payroll and Payments as well but I am so disappointed with this nebulous non-solution. Wave has so much potential and I don't know why they would base their entire business model on a new data aggregator with which they would seem to have no influence over, with no way to troubleshoot or remedy data connection issues.

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @RandalD , thanks for your honest feedback here. I know how valuable the bank connection feature is for our users, so to not have it available can be quite disappointing and frustrating. I'm sorry for any pains this issue has brought to your experience using Wave so far.

I see the escalation the Support agent created for your connection on your Support ticket with them, and can confirm what they've stated to you that the connection is with CIBC in general right now rather than with your unique account. Overall, I wouldn't say CIBC is a notoriously finicky bank for connections, so it would seem that this was unfortunate timing for your initiation into Wave with this bank connection failure. I know it is particularly frustrating since we aren't the ones who have control over making these changes, as you've mentioned there - we rely on Plaid and the banks to negotiate with each other for connections. Some banks are quicker at these negotiations than others and so, as much as it is not ideal to say, our hands are tied if it comes to that point as it has with this bank right now.

We recognize that this is a pain point for many users, and are doing our best to make the continued transition from our old banking partner over this year as smooth as possible, but there have been definite growing pains. We transitioned to Plaid in January 2020 (so any previous complaints will be related to our old banking partner and are now outdated) as Plaid offers more secure and reliable connections long-term, and so this was a business decision, the idea being it will be net positive over the long run. We're still largely in the early days as it's been less than a year, so thank you for bearing with us as we and Plaid continue to learn how best to integrate our services. Wave is focused on providing the best user experience we can, across all our features, including Payments and Payroll as integral parts of our business model.

• AotearoaGirlAotearoaGirl Member Posts: 3

For the last few weeks, my CIBC bank accounts all stopped sync'ing automatically. The connections are fine. I've deleted the bank connection and reconnected it about 5 times. Each time, the accounts update and all is well. But then I wait 2-3 days, and nothing syncs. Now the same is happening with my Tangerine accounts as well. This is VERY frustrating! I wish Wave would create a "force sync" button for bank connections. My credit cards all work fine. Please help!

PS: When I click on the "troubleshooting tips" link in the article above, I get an error saying I'm not authoritzed to access the page. Please check the link, thanks!

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @AotearoaGirl! Thanks for reaching out here. I do see that you'd reached out to us in a Support ticket, which I have escalated to my Support Team in order for it to be addressed as soon as they can. That will be the best place to investigate this connection challenge!

Thank-you ConnorM - I see that my CIBC accounts sync'd successfully yesterday which is great! Maybe the problem has been fixed. But I can't set up my Tangerine accounts again, after I deleted them. I've tried multiple times over the past several days, and I'm unable to achieve a successful connection. Used to work great - hope this can also be fixed. Thanks so much!

• Chris_CalderChris_Calder Member Posts: 1

I have two separate business running in Wave. Both use the same Credit Union, the companies are completely separate at the bank.
    1. The first company has 3 bank accounts (one chequing and two savings) - I can only get Wave to import 2 of the three accounts. It acts like the 2nd savings account doesn't exist.
    2. The second company has has 7 accounts (one chequing, 5 savings and 1 TFSA) - I can only get wave to import the chequing and 3 savings accounts. It will not show the 2 remaining savings accounts nor the TSFA account.

Any suggestions?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Chris_Calder , I see that you've submitted a ticket to our Support team. They'll be able to provide some further insight/troubleshoot this issue for you.

• FortressFortress Member Posts: 1

Wave is duplicating my imported transactions(deposits and withdrawals) and showing the same connected bank account twice. I've sent multiple emails to the support team in the last month and no one has responded.

Hey @Fortress , it looks like one of our agents was able to get back to you. If you do have any further questions or concerns, please follow up with them directly!

• RontruRontru Member Posts: 1
    I just received my first payment (bank ACH) from a customer I invoiced. They said it was easy. How long after a customer submits a payment, until it posts to my bank account? I do not see it yet. Thanks, Ron

Hey @Rontru , bank payments take anywhere from 2-7 business days to post to your bank account.

• Jen_ChristieJen_Christie Member Posts: 2

Your troubleshooting links above do not work. I am getting a message I am not authorized to access this content even though I am signed in.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @Jen_Christie ! Are you referring to our CSV troubleshooting article perhaps? If so, I attached the appropriate link for you here. If you are trying to troubleshoot a bank connection, I suggest sending us an e-mail so one of our support agents can assist you.

• CarosConsultingCarosConsulting Member Posts: 1

I need to change the dates of transactions to a later date. Where can I do that?

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @CarosConsulting !

You can change the transaction date by heading to Accounting > Transactions. Here, click on the transaction you want to edit, change the date, and click Save. Then you're done!

Take a look at this Help Centre article for more info on using the Transactions page :smile: