How to edit customer information

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to edit customer information

To edit a customer's information, follow these steps:

Click on the Sales option on the left-hand menu.
Click on Customers.
On the Customers page, find the name of the customer whose information yo...

Read the full story here

edited December 26, 2018 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• tricineltricinel Member Posts: 2

Hi, I'm just discovering Wave and I found it delightful so far! Thank you for that! Being new, I apologize if you've already answered this question, I couldn't find the answer. If I want to have the customer's VAT number show up on each invoice, where is the best place in the customer's additional information to input that? I currently hacked by adding the VAT number on the first line address and the actual address on the second line.

It would be great to do it the "right" way though. I appreciate any help on this :)

Cheers,
    Bogdan

• ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

Hi @tricinel glad to hear it!

At this moment, this functionality is not available in Wave, so apologies for that! However, you bring up a good point so I will bring this up to team as a suggestion moving forward. Thank you for you input!

• tricineltricinel Member Posts: 2

Hi Erik,

Awesome! Thanks for getting back to me. Is there a place where I can submit this as a proper feature request and potentially somewhere I could maybe track its progress? I understand you may not want to implement it (after all, it's well within your rights as product owners), it'd still be good to know either way. And if it's a yes, then tracking its progress as it goes through the motions would be a big win in my book.

Thank you again!

Bogdan

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey Bogdan,

We don't have a mechanism for public tracking of feature requests; however, if/when this type of field customization becomes available, we'll be sure to draw attention to this in-app with clear modals and callouts!

• Russell_WRussell_W Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for help to delete my customer list that i downloaded and is not the correct format. I have 700 on the list and will take to long to delete individual. Please help, as i have sent emails to your support without any response.
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Russell_W

I see one of our agents have reached out to you with an answer. Typically our turnaround for response is 1-2 business days. This is subject to change during our first and second quarter which can get incredibly busy due to tax season.

But Luna mentioned not being able to do a bulk delete for customers which is true. I see she recommended starting with a new business rather than deleting your customers.

Also don't forget that when a customer is attached to an invoice, bill, or transaction it's impossible to delete the customer without removing them from the transaction itself. So we usually recommend not deleting customers, as you shouldn't really delete your old transactional history for auditing purposes.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else :)

• qcmqcm Member Posts: 4

How to add recurring additional customer email addresses. Hi I always need to add 2 to 4 email addresses to each of my invoices (IE: AccountsPayable@, Manager@, SalesRep@...) Is there a way yet to have this automated so I do not have to keep typing in each additional address when billing? If not, I hope they fix this soon... Love the program, thank you

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @qcm . This is not currently available. At the moment, you do have to add in the additional email addresses when sending invoices. Thanks for all of the love!!

• Stevie_BStevie_B Member Posts: 2

It would be great if there was a customer portal to obtain customer information online as well as allow them to view their invoices

Hey @Stevie_B , thanks for this feedback. The team doesn't have any plans to create a customer portal at the moment, although we will have new and improved Customer Statements releasing soon which will allow your customer to pay any of their old invoices using the customer statement that you send to them. It will be similar to a customer portal but slightly different.

• tms_makeup87tms_makeup87 Member Posts: 1

How can you add more company details such as VAT number to a customers details?

Hey @tms_makeup87 , you can add VAT details to the additional/internal notes, but this would be for reference as this number won't translate into the invoice automatically.

• Linnea_WLinnea_W Member Posts: 1

I have customers that have orders shipped to different locations. How do I change the shipping address for each invoice to show where it went? The software keeps reverting to the old shipping address. Thank you!

Hi @Linnea_W , the shipping address is built into the Customer's contact information so if you wanted to add it to the invoice, you'd have to do so in the Notes or in the Footer.

• GrantChatfield1GrantChatfield1 Member Posts: 1

Hi. Can I inactivate customers. We use the invoices for individual parties and I was looking at in-activating customers?

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @GrantChatfield1! At the moment there isn't any feature that would allow you to 'de-activate' a customer but we have had other users request a similar feature. To be transparent, at the moment it is not something we have in the works but hopefully we can offer this in the future!

• larrylarry Member Posts: 1

No. I want to deactivate customer and can't seem to do that

• BetterDays2020BetterDays2020 Member Posts: 1

I find my province name is not as listed. In this case, Western Cape, South Africa. Please can I have the province name corrected and to reflect, Western Cape on all billings, that is estimates, invoices and statements. I don't know that strange name that is reflecting.

• JohnnyBeanJohnnyBean Member Posts: 1

when a customer leaves how do we remove them from the customer list?

Hey @JohnnyBean , if your customers are listed on some of your invoices, you can't delete the Customer from your database due to this association.

• LG_WCLG_WC Member Posts: 1

I see that AlexL answered this, but I'd love to put another vote in to saving secondary contact emails (who are being, essentially, CCed) so that they don't need to be added manually every time an invoice is sent. Also, would love for the recipients to SEE who has been CCed in the email they receive. That one's a pain for my clients (to guess who got it every time). Longtime Freshbooks user here and I feel they did these two things seamlessly?

• pfjewelpfjewel Member Posts: 3

how do i make a customer inactive /

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @pfjewel !

If you are looking to delete an existing customer from your Sales > Customers page, you can do so by pressing the down arrow beside the customer in question and selecting "Delete". However, you won't be able to delete a customer that is tied to invoices, transactions, etc. This is to ensure your books are properly maintained and accurate.

• pfjewelpfjewel Member Posts: 3

Hey Julian,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I realize that a customer can't be deleted.
    The customer I am trying to delete is now deceased, surely there is some way of making the customer 'INACTIVE' and thus hiding the name as can be done on other accounting programs such as MYOB or RECKON.

Regards
    Phillip

• NancyCNancyC Member Posts: 148 admin

Hi @pfjewel I'm very sorry to hear about your customer. I'm afraid there isn't an option to mark a customer inactive or archive their profile. What I can recommend is to edit their profile name by adding a "Z" in front so that their name gets pushed to the bottom of the customer profile list.

• Dunn2Inspects_HouTXDunn2Inspects_HouTX Member Posts: 2

How do I undo edit existing customer? I have single customer with multiple ship to and did not realize every time I updated the ship to ALL the existing invoices were changed.

I added a _1, _2 etec to existing customer name in edit and now I have a mess. Similar to below:

AlexL
    Administrator Posts: 2,869 admin
    Hi @Linnea_W , the shipping address is built into the Customer's contact information so if you wanted to add it to the invoice, you'd have to do so in the Notes or in the Footer.

February 7, 2020