How to upload customer lists via CSV

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to upload customer lists via CSV

Import customer contact information into Wave quickly and easily using a CSV file.

Go to wherever you currently keep your contacts (Gmail, Outlook, Apple's Contacts app, etc.) and export or downlo...

Read the full story here

edited December 27, 2018 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• madhurimadhuri Member Posts: 16

this sample csv format doesnt have headers for information like fax , toll free , website , shipping address etc

• ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

@madhuri currently, Wave cannot import the "Additional Information" fields for a customer profile. However, I understand that it would be fitting to include them, so I will bring this up to the team as a request for a future update to Wave!

• AlexandreAlexandre Member Posts: 1

I exported .CVS file from my first Wave account. When I tried importing that same file into my second Wave account, most contacts were "invalid" (only 26 out of 200 imported correctly)... ?

• ryanwilsonperkinryanwilsonperkin Member Posts: 18 admin

Hey @Alexandre, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you able to open that CSV file in a program like Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel? If so, does it look like there's anything wrong with the data stored inside it?

Special characters such as #, &, $, * will cause an issue and we recommend removing these from your document. We've got some additional documentation available at https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622596 if you're still experiencing difficulties.

edited January 18, 2019
  • matthewkaltermatthewkalter Member Posts: 1

Is it possible to add states to customer information when importing? I have about 500 people to import and they import just fine except none of the customers have their state/providence set.

• SophiaSophia Member Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi @matthewkalter this is actually a known issue with the customer import function. For that volume of customers to import, I'd recommend using Wave Connect. This is our recently released Google Sheets add-on that allows you to seamlessly upload and download your Wave data. Once you've added Wave Connect to your account, you can quickly upload your customer list, with far more customizable fields. This article covers how to download Wave Connect and use the upload feature: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272

Let us know if that works for you and if we can answer any further questions :)

• Whid_par1Whid_par1 Member Posts: 2

I tried to upload my csv file (converted from an excel sheet) and it showed a perfect 5 contact preview and then didn't upload the full 187 files...please can you help me to get these contacts in to my system as I need to do a mass invoice in the next week. I look forward to hearing from someone in your support department.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Whid_par1

Typically we recommend having no more than 100 items on a CSV. How many customers are you trying to upload in this CSV? I usually recommend breaking it up into a few documents in case our system runs into errors with documents that are larger.

Have you also tried Wave connect as an alternative?

Let us know!

• Whid_par1Whid_par1 Member Posts: 2

Thank you for your help...with a little rejigging, we managed to get the database in - some of my fields were not compatible so needed removing.

Hey again @Whid_par1

Thanks for the update. If you have time and care to share with us what you may have fixed that was causing this issue!

• Ellen2Ellen2 Member Posts: 2

I have followed the instructions above but the message I get when I try to upload and preview 'Invalid CVS contents'. I don't know what else to try...

Sorry I've posted this problem twice... sorry....

edited April 8, 2020
  • Ellen2Ellen2 Member Posts: 2

I've followed the instructions above and below (several times) and i get an error message 'Invalid CSV contents'...
    I've tried uploading only 50 customers - (we have 1400) but that didn't work either...
    What could be making the content invalid?
    I don't know what else to try -

edited April 8, 2020

Hey there @Ellen2

My apologies you're experiencing this issue. Typically CSV's that have improper formatting may have more information than our uploader requires. This a screenshot of what the CSV template should look like.

Any additional unnecessary columns may need to go. Try this again with only a few of your customers and check on what it looks like in your Wave account before uploading all 1400.

Additionally there is WAVE CONNECT.
    Wave Connect allows you to upload or download transactional data, invoices, customer lists, etc, into a Google spreadsheet. Your excel files can be easily transferred into a Google Spreadsheet as well. See this image below of what Wave Connect looks like:
    image All you need to do is input the transactional information into a template that is generated through the add-on feature in Google sheets and it auto-populates right into your Wave account once you've validated the data.

• DDAidenDDAiden Member Posts: 2

No, I do not seem to have the " Import from" tab or button anywhere in my customer module in WAVE

• PPSMPastpresPPSMPastpres Member Posts: 1

I am trying to do this too (import customers- step 6)- and do not have an import option. I tried with Wave Connect, and can't get that figured out, either.

• NancyCNancyC Member Posts: 148 admin

hi @PPSMPastpres Can you please confirm if there's been at least 1 customer added onto your Wave business (under Sales > Customers)? If the business doesn't have any customers added yet, you will only see the option to manually add customers (one at a time), and the import option will not appear until at least 1 customer has been added. If you've already added a customer, but you're still not able to see the option to import, please reply with a screenshot (don't forgot to block out any customer names!)

• LJezardLJezard Member Posts: 3

So, I imported 50+ customers and the import went okay. However, I realized I needed to add the state abbreviation in the column for Postal Code (usually in the US, we have a column for State and a separate column for Zip Code or Postal Code as you call it). So, I added the State abbreviation to the Postal Code column in the CSV and tried to reimport. It told me the customers already existed and wouldn't take the new data, i.e. it won't overwrite pre-existing data on import. So, I deleted all the customers figuring the import doesn't do edits (overwrites). Now, I have only the first manually entered customer in Wave. So, I try a new import with the corrected CSV and it tells me "didn't find any new contacts to import" and failed. I think - despite me manually deleting the customers - they've remained in the table somewhere. Please advise. (I recommend you allow new imports for mass editing pre-existing contacts - this is pretty normal for CSV imports.)