Bulk printing of invoices

Comments

• ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

Hey @prideofgumbo, can confirm that you are selecting "Letter" as the paper size in the print dialog? Paper size would influence how many pages are printed. Would you also be able to post some screenshots of what you are experiencing so that we can take a closer look?

• prideofgumboprideofgumbo Member Posts: 1

Heres a shot of my print dialogue box. Automatically wants to use two sheets of paper (circled in red) for a single page invoice. Second one is just a blank.

Unless I click and specify just print page one (the other red highlight).

And it may have nothing to do with Wave, it may just be this ding dong printer.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @Mister_Jinn, thanks for contributing to the conversation! This hasn't been implemented, although once we finish migrating everyone over to the newest version of Wave we'll have the bandwidth to address these types of refinements. More specifically, we're planning to revamp the invoicing tool this year, so keep an eye out for future improvements!

• auden100auden100 Member Posts: 1

I'd like to add my support to this feature for all the same reasons. My accountant wants hard copies of everything.

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @auden100! Thank you for your thoughts on this too, the request is being considered but there is no eta on this update currently!

• FilipFilip Member Posts: 2

me too. two pages...

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @Filip and @prideofgumbo, when selecting the Print option directly from your Wave account, it will invariably print the website detail, which may lead to an additional page printed. There are a couple options to avoid this:

a) Choose to "Export as PDF" and the Invoice should not download with this information, therefore printing just one page. Go to Sales > Invoices and click the drop down arrow to the right of any invoice.

b) When choosing to print, review the print settings. You should be able to select that you want just Page 1 to print. In Chrome, you can unmark the box beside "Headers & Footers", which will prevent the URL detail from appearing on the top and bottom of your pages. In other browsers, this might be available by going to "File" and then "Page Setup."

Hope that helps!

• AppeltwistAppeltwist Member Posts: 1

Are you serious ?? I was thinking until now that wave had done a pretty good job! But if it is impossible to download all the invoices as pdf this is an extremely good reason to change to another provider. It is such a basic thing ! The option to download and hand over the invoices and receipts in case of even inspection is quintessential !!

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @Appeltwist, thanks for reaching out! You can export all of your transactions & receipts on your account via Settings > Data Export. It is also possible to get data in and out of your account using Wave Connect, our Google Sheets add- on. You can read all about it in This Help Centre article

I hope this helps! :smile:

• PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Hi @auden100 @Appeltwist,
    I can't offer any immediate solution to bulk-print all invoices with '1 click', but the Wave Connect integration that Zoe mentioned above has just been updated so that when you download invoices, you can select to include a direct link to the PDF version of each invoice.
    This will give you a spreadsheet listing of your invoices, and allow you to simply click your way down the list to download the PDFs you require.
    Hopefully this will be some help to you.
    Cheers, Paul

• A_PlusA_Plus Member Posts: 2

@Ryan_W My headers and footers are unchecked, and I have the same issue. I can scale the zoom to 60% and even with all the information on the top half of the first page, it still wants to include a blank page. Are you telling me that downloading each and every invoice to our computer is the only way? Oh, or of course, manually selecting to only print page 1? It's a minor nuisance, but bothersome nonetheless.

• balegrimbalegrim Member Posts: 3

Ok. I really love a lot of things about wave. The dev team did a lot of great work.

But this program seriously needs to be able to print invoices in bulk. I won't be delicate about how badly it needs that. Everybody who owns property or a business receives bills IN THE MAIL. Can some customers be emailed? sure. But paper mailing bills is still a very common practice. Many customers and businesses INSIST on being paper mailed invoices over emailing. All serious business software programs have this feature.

QUICKBOOKS, which is software I hate, has had this feature since 2015. It should nakedly on the roadmap. Because most people in business understand paper billing is still a huge thing for lots of reasons (often customer or billed company preference or mandation). Everybody still gets bills by mail, even today. And it's bad software design to have to print them 1 at a time. Wave should to catch up in this regard because not having this feature would be considered a major software design failing in most modern business software. Paper is far from dead, and I say this as someone who WISHES it was.

Can we expect to see this feature implemented? Apart from that issue, the software is close to being perfect. But that issue happens to be a majorly glaring one on any software that's supposed to make office operations run more smoothly. And someone should know just how important invoice printing is.

• balegrimbalegrim Member Posts: 3

Edit: I posted this here in sales and invoicing because I previously posted it in the wrong section. Feel free to remove it from "WAVE DISCUSSION › WAVE FEATURES" as this is where I've seen all the billing feature requests happen.

• MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hi @A_Plus , welcome to the Wave community. I can definitely understand how this can be bothersome. Downloading each invoice as a PDF or manually selecting to only print page 1 would be the best solutions at this time.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @balegrim . I don't think my response will be able to match your passion of how badly you want this to be implemented but I'll try to address your concerns. Wave was originally created to be an online platform for businesses that intended to do all or at least the majority of their invoicing online. We obviously do allow for printing invoices if necessary, but the thought was never that a business owner would need to print so many invoices that a bulk-print option would be needed.

When you put it the way you do, I totally understand exactly where you're coming from, as I can agree with you when you say paper is not dead yet.

If I'm being completely transparent, I don't believe this is on our roadmap for the near future. I will although gladly pass this feedback along to the team so they know they have a user who is looking for it, as well as pass along your use case for further contextual understanding.

• Robert_B1Robert_B1 Member Posts: 1

It has been 18 months since the start of this post and I don't see any satisfactory answer. I have one customer who has about 30 overdue invoices and he wants me to print them and mail them as a bundle. What if I had 10 or 100 customers who wanted printed invoices? Really, go through them one at a time and print them. Or email to myself, then have to open a spreadsheet and work out from the import which invoices are the ones I want to print and then make it happen. I can print one by one because I only have very moderate needs but I agree that this is basic functionality that is missing. Plus the support team don't seem to get it, why users actually need to print hard copy. I also tried the Google sheets add on, down loaded invoices and ending up with just one column of invoice amounts, this is useless to generate an invoice ready to send to customers. So far it has been time consuming and frustrating, all this to and fro and exporting to just print overdue invoices. Plus the export creates questions for me regarding security.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@Robert_B1 I understand how this particular situation is frustrating. Like Paul said, I'm afraid there isn't an immediate solution to bulk printing invoices. What you could do is head to Sales > Customer Statements, select your customer, select 'Unpaid only' and choose the dates those unpaid invoices fall under. Then, you will see a list of all their overdue invoices which you could send to your customer directly or print and send to them. The customer statement has links to each invoice as well. While we understand some folks would be interested in having hard copies of their invoices, as an online software, we mainly work in the realm of paperless business. Printing the Customer Statement would be a good route to go in this case though!

• JesseWalkerJesseWalker Member Posts: 1

Has this been updated? Is there a way to batch print invoices and receipts. I personally want batch export everything to pdf and am finding it tedious to do this one at a time.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @JesseWalker. After speaking with our Sales Service Product Liaison. It doesn't appear that this feature is going to be implemented anytime soon - the primary focus for the rest of the calendar year is Customer Statements and Discounts (for invoicing). Potentially this is something that will be on a roadmap for 2020, but as of right now, it's too hard to tell.

• MadbotMadbot Member Posts: 6

That's so sad that the only solution isn't actually a solution. Something as simple as not making it print to pages has to have a whole complicated issue attached.

Why is it an issue for people just to print 1 page?

• rdgerkenrdgerken Member Posts: 3

To build on Wave Connect functionality mentioned above a bit:

I may have a workaround that will help you bulk save/print invoices. Set up an integration to Google Sheets by following the instructions inside of Wave/Integrations. Once done, create a new sheets workbook, and use the Wave add-on to download all of your invoices of concern (using the filter(s) / selecting just invoice data). Next, open your Google Drive, and create a folder. Copy the the last part of the URL in your browser bar while in that folder (this is what we'll use as a folderID in our script so that the script knows where you save the Invoices to your Google Drive). Next, go to Tools/Scripts in your sheet. Paste the following script and be sure to update the folderID value with what you copied from your browser bar:

function SaveInvoiceToGoogleDrive(){

var folderID = '1ZHJRI8L-DyPXblahblahblahe1Kse6jlbK';  // put id of the Google Drive folder
      var folder = DriveApp.getFolderById(folderID)// get the folder
      var sheet = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSheet();
      var data = sheet.getDataRange().getValues();
      var data2 = sheet.getDataRange().getFormulas();

for (var i = 1; i < data.length; i++) {
        var pdfURL = data2[i][4];
        var url = pdfURL.match(/=hyperlink\("([^"]+)"/i);
        var urlresult = (url ? url[1] : '');
        var myFileName = "Invoice_" + data[i][2] + "_" + Utilities.formatDate(data[i][12], Session.getScriptTimeZone(), "yyyy-MM-d") + ".pdf";
        var fileblob = UrlFetchApp.fetch(urlresult);
        var file=folder.createFile(fileblob);
        file.setName(myFileName);
      }
    }

Then, create a button on your sheet, and link it to this function (typically I just expand the header row down a bit, and add it there... so the button stays put when doing additional invoice queries using Wave Connect on future runs). When executed, this will pull all of the invoices that you queried from Wave into your Google Drive. Once in Google Drive, you can select all of the invoice PDFs and select download. This will download a zip to your computer, and then use your favorite PDF program to bulk print your invoices. (Or, if you already have the Google Drive Client installed on your computer - you can probably just use your PDF program to bulk print directly without this download zip step). I just smashed this out quick, and I didn't bother to do any error checking or anything - but as long as you have a properly formatted Wave Connect invoice data download, it should work as is.

I understand getting this set up the first time might be a little intimidating if you aren't familiar with scripting in Google Sheets - but you really only have to do this one time, and then any time you want to bulk save/print invoices in the future, you can just run the Wave Connect download in the sheet to pull in and overwrite the data - and then hit the button again.

One caveat with this approach is the quotas that Google puts on the script runtime, total trigger runtime, and the number of URLFetches that can be done. I have a very small need, so I don't come close to having any problems - but I think the script will timeout if it takes longer than 6 minutes (or 30 minutes if you have a business account), and you are also limited to several thousand URLFetches depending on your Google account edition. Pulling the invoices from Wave is not extremely fast, so I could see with very large Invoice PDF pulls from Wave, where you could run up against some of these quota limitations. See here for details on the current quotas: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/guides/services/quotas

I've got a little code in here to rename the PDF file as Zapier would name it, but you can do whatever you want with it. If you need help, let me know.

edited September 2, 2019

Please see my comment in the "printing all invoices" thread for a potential solution.

edited September 2, 2019

Please see my comment in the "printing all invoices" thread for a potential solution.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Brilliant @rdgerken

Thanks so much for offering this up to the community!

• bspilanebspilane Member Posts: 2

Has this feature been implemented yet? I have 300 membership invoices to print. Would appreciate a bulk printing option.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @bspilane! This feature has not yet been looked into as we are still in the progress of moving customers to the new version of Wave. We are in the process of working on the new invoicing tool that has more features to offer. Currently bulk printing has not been added but I'd love to get some more information about your business! Three hundred invoices is a lot, so I can definitely see how you would benefit from having a bulk print option! How often do you need to bulk print invoices from your account and would it always be this amount?

• bspilanebspilane Member Posts: 2

Invoices are for membership dues for our lake association. They are sent out just once a year. Membership number remains the same.

• judeanfootballjudeanfootball Member Posts: 3

Hello,
    I also need this. I need to print out large amounts of invoices 1-2 times a year.