How to manually file Form 1099-MISC

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to manually file Form 1099-MISC

This article covers US tax requirements and applies to Payroll by Wave in the US.
The IRS requires you to file 1099-MISC forms for every contractor you paid more than $600 in a calendar year. If yo...

Read the full story here

edited January 15, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• DavisProfessionalsDavisProfessionals Member Posts: 2

I wish Wave offered 1099 support as an extra cost to those that do not have Wave Payroll.

• Laura_KavanaghLaura_Kavanagh Member Posts: 17 admin

Hi @DavisProfessionals - thanks so much for this feedback. This is definitely something our team is exploring to support Wave users. We'd love to learn more about how you work with independent contractors and what you'd be looking for. If you could share your input here, or by sending me a DM directly, I can send this back to the team. Thanks!

• brifilonebrifilone Member Posts: 1

it says above :
    "From the Vendors page, click Generate next to the contractor you want to file for."
    I see no "Generate" choice on my vendors page?

• breezygrlbreezygrl Member Posts: 1

there is no "generate" button on the vendor page. Please advise on what to do... THanks!

• zswintonzswinton Member Posts: 1

I can't understand how to generate one as well. There is no such a button form the 'Vendors' page. And when I'm trying to upload the template of form from a third-party https://1099-misc-form.pdffiller.com/ it fails to upload

• DavisProfessionalsDavisProfessionals Member Posts: 2

Hi @Laura_Kavanagh - I pay independent contractors directly through my Capitol One Spark Business bank since it's free. They complete customer care services under my company, and I issue them a 1099-MISC at the end of the year. I've been using OnlineFileTaxes.com to do this the last few years, but it'd be really nice if either Wave or Spark Business started allowing me to do this since I already use both of them.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@brifilone @breezygrl @zswinton Generating your 1099-MISC forms is only available if you have a Payroll subscription in Wave. If you do, you will be able to generate these forms for your 1099 contractors in the Vendors section as well as Tax Forms under Payroll in Wave.

• DiegoDiego Member Posts: 2

@Laura_Kavanagh @DavisProfessionals -- I second the motion to offer 1099 filing as an add-on without a Payroll Subscription. My business employs contractors only a handful of times each year so subscribing to Payroll isn't worth it. But I still need to file 1099's.

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @Diego, something to note with your Payroll subscription in Wave is that it is not charged annually but month to month and fully dependant on when your account is active. This means that you decide when you need it and when you will be charged!

• Brandy_ShumanBrandy_Shuman Member Posts: 1

I don't want to generate 1099's out of wave but I do want to see a report of what I paid my contractors, how can I find this information? It appears this magical "generate" button is only found when you pay for payroll, which I do not need since I have a company that does that for me...

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @Brandy_Shuman, to generate 1099s for contractors in Wave you would have to have an active Payroll account. If you are not looking to access that form in Wave, but you are generating bills for your contractors and paying them outside of Wave you can access that information on your reports page in the Focus on Vendors section. You will need to be generating bills for your contractors for Wave to have that data.

• bcookbcook Member Posts: 1

The US IRS FIRE system requires 1099's to be uploaded in ASCII format. Does Wave export 1099's in ASCII?

• CameronCameron Member Posts: 32

On the 1099 there is a "Payer" and a "Recipient". What section does the contractor fill out?

• MBSMBS Member Posts: 1

After selecting "generate" I am brought to the "Payroll Setup" page which has no option whatsoever to Review & Confirm details for the 1099-MISC.....

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @bcook @Cameron @MBS . Please reach out directly through our live chat so one of our support agents can give you the appropriate assistance with these situations.

• zoelarkinzoelarkin Member Posts: 8

Hi there, where is the live chat link? I'm only seeing connection to a tiresome bot, with an option to write an email message eventually. I did leave an email message, but if there is an option to have a live chat I'd love to know how to access that. I'm a paid customer with a payroll account. Thanks.

• NACBookkeeper_1NACBookkeeper_1 Member Posts: 1

I am trying to manually generate a 1099 but my Vendor doesn't have the option where this article says to look. The only thing I see is "Create Bill'' as a hyperlink and a drop down with the options, Edit, Create Bill, Delete.
    Please assist quickly as I need to give this to them for their taxes asap
    BTW my user access level is Editor, in case that matters

edited January 30, 2020
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @zoelarkin

Our live chat is still there in the help button, however you can only access agents from 9-5 EST otherwise you'll get Mave our chat support bot! Please don't hesitate to reach out again during those hours.

Hi @NACBookkeeper_1

In order for you to generate 1099's you need to have set up your vendor as a 1099 contractor and create bills for each contract under Purchases > Bills. A common misconception is that you can simply create expense transactions in the transactions page and associate a vendor to it.

In this case, you'll need to create a full bill to associate it with your payroll!

https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016196732--US-Paying-contractors-Everything-you-need-to-know-about-Form-1099-MISC

Have a read through this and reach out if you have any other questions.

• zoelarkinzoelarkin Member Posts: 8
    OK totally, that makes sense! Thanks!