Options

Split Transactions, Different Description for Each?

davewarfeldavewarfel Member Posts: 12

In the previous Wave, when I split transactions, I used to be able to write a custom description for each one. It appears this is no longer possible in the new Wave. Am I missing something, or is this how it works now?

A simple example:

• someone pays a $100 Wave invoice by sending me money via PayPal
  • PayPal charges a $3 fee
  • I send the remaining $97 to my bank
  • I split the $97 transaction: $100 for the invoice, $3 for a transaction fee
  • But I only have one description field, and that description field is the only line item that shows up in my list of transactions

Is there no way to have two line items show up? One for the $100 invoice, and another for the $3 transaction fee? And name them each appropriately?

edited January 28, 2019 in Accounting Feature Ideas

Comments

• Options
    Carlos_Abreu_01Carlos_Abreu_01 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same ploblem, I usually scanned my receipts once a week in chronological order, if I have more than one receipt in one day like (gas, travel expenses, working lunch, room rent, etc) I paste this expenses in the same blank sheet and then I scann the sheets to upload it to Wave, even when this expenses are not related, because a could split them in different accounts and different custom descriptions.
    The old way of spliting gave me some benefits that I don't have anymore in the new Waves:
    1. I saved plenty of time scanning a group of expenses receipts instead one by one. I am not expert but I think this save space in the Wave servers.
    2. I could have differents custom descriptions when the expenses are not related.
    3. It was more easy keep the tracking between the journal transaction and the physical file.

I wonder if this is a issue under discussion for the programmer team or if there is a way to make what we used to in the old Wave.
  • Options

I feel your pain, Carlos. Your #2 is the main thing that is bugging me with the new Wave. The ability to have custom descriptions for each part of the split transaction.

Let's give it a day or two and see if a Wave support rep can weigh in on this.

• Options
    Carlos_Abreu_01Carlos_Abreu_01 Member Posts: 3

@davewarfel said:
    I feel your pain, Carlos. Your #2 is the main thing that is bugging me with the new Wave. The ability to have custom descriptions for each part of the split transaction.

Let's give it a day or two and see if a Wave support rep can weigh in on this.

It seems that nothing has changed. Dave, any ideas on how to move forward?

• Options

Nope. I think the best we can do is hope more people comment and come forward if this is something that they're struggling with as well.

• Options
    Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @davewarfel and @Carlos_Abreu_01, you may want to check out this thread to join in the conversation. Tl; Dr is that we're aware of how the changes to transaction splitting affect both 1) entering negative amounts and 2) the consolidation of the Description fields, and we're looking into how we can restore this functionality in the near future. The current workaround is to create separate transactions (so you can create a withdrawal transaction), and then delete the bank imported transaction. Keep an eye out for any updates in that thread!

• Options

Thanks Ryan! "...restore this functionality in the near future" just made me :).