Options

PayPal Integration

Comments

• Options
    Michael_LMichael_L Member Posts: 11

Is it possible to have the "PayPal" account appear as a "money in transit" rather than a "cash and bank" account? I don't really 'have' the money until I withdraw it from PayPal and transfer it to my bank so I don't consider it income really until I get that money transferred over.

• Options
    oceanmedianowoceanmedianow Member Posts: 1
    +1 on PayPal Integration work needed ASAP. I love wave apps but I absolutely hate the PayPal integration as I rely heavily for all my transactions through PayPal. so when I have to delete my account and start over I have to reclass 3 months worth of income and expenses and that's a bit of a job.

but to waveapps defense I have been shopping around and there isn't really quite another system like it. Especially the free portion.

Note: please make some way we can search transactions by their description fields. Not unless I'm missing something somewhere.
    edited January 1, 2019
  • Options
    SimonereevesSimonereeves Member Posts: 9

Hi. I have a more basic question - how can I feature a way for people to pay via PayPal on my invoice?

• Options
    JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@Michael_L Certain accounts within Wave are considered payment accounts, which allow them to have transactions applied directly to them for expenses and income with very few limitations. Money in Transit accounts are not considered as payment accounts and some of the actions you will likely want to complete with them may not be applicable, which is why it may serve you better to keep the Paypal account as a Cash and Bank account

@Simonereeves I'm afraid at this time, Wave invoices can only be paid online through Payments by Wave or by Stripe (if initialized through the Payments dashboard). If you are looking for your customers to pay through PayPal, then this is an action that would need to be completed outside of Wave and cannot be featured on invoice currently.

• Options
    carmenfcarmenf Member Posts: 5

@Alexia said:
    Hi, @DrYou,

I completely understand how frustrating this can be. My recommendation would be to clear everything uploaded from the PayPal integration and start fresh. Turning a PayPal history CSV into one that will upload to Wave should only take a few minutes. Here's a step-by-step breakdown of how to do it quickly:

• Copy the Amount, Description and Date columns into a new spreadsheet.
    • Copy the merchant fee column at the bottom of the Amount.
    • Copy the Date column again and paste it again at the bottom of the Date column. The order of your merchant fee column should match the order of the dates already if nothing was moved around.
    • As a description for your merchant fee transactions, just put in "PayPal Fee", and copy it next to every merchant fee transaction.

I hope this helps!

Hi Alexia, same problem here, I'm trying to import history CSV, but the problem is that the Paypals one it has only ONE column, with all the data on it. How do I separate into 3 diferent ones the data inside????? Should I do it one by one, copying and pasting and separating myself every row?
    It has no sense for me...
    Any help!???

• Options
    ryghrygh Member Posts: 1

CSV is not really a good option.
    You have to pick either Gross or Net (minus fees) unless you manually mess around with the file.
    With the normal import, it nicely brought those in separately so I can track gross income and bank fees separately.
    But then import stopped working...
    Key - Because of those differences, combining CSV and Import results in a total mess.

I just tried to re-import, and the tool decided to create a SECOND paypal account.
    That has a starting value of the final value of old paypal account, and only new transactions.
    Due to extra starting value, I seem to have double the money in the bank ... lucky me!

• Options
    Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @rygh, I would advise that you do not disconnect and then reconnect the PayPal integration. Doing this (as you saw before) results in a new PayPal category getting added to your chart of accounts; then, you have to manually move all your old PayPal imports over to the new account.

Now, unfortunately there isn't a super straightforward way to simply merge the information from these two accounts, but what follows will help.

What you'll want to do first is go to your Accounting Tab > Chart of Accounts, and click the pen icon to the right of one of those duplicate accounts, then just add a distinguishing feature (eg. Account1) so you can tell the two apart. Once this is done, go to your Transactions page and filter for each Account in order to figure out which is the currently active connection (the one with the most recent transactions).

You then will have two options for transferring all the information from the old account to the new one.

1. You can filter your Transactions screen by the old account, then manually change the account on each transaction to be listed as the new account. You can do this by clicking the transaction Account dropdown to change it to the new PayPal account.

2. If you have many transactions in the old account and changing each individually sounds wholly unappealing, you can instead filter by the unwanted account then click the box to the left of 'Date' to select all associated transactions then Delete. You would then want to manually upload a statement for that specific date range, ensuring that when you upload the statement you are choosing the desired Account to have them listed under!

If you choose the second option, a couple things to keep in mind is that the system will only want to see 3 columns in the file you are uploading; Date, Description, Amount where expenses will be shown with a negative sign in front of the amount value (unless it is a Credit Card statement, in which case you'll want to make payments to the credit card with a negative sign!) and Dates will be formatted as mm/dd/yyyy.

Here is a basic example of this format:

01/01/2018, Description 1, -250
    01/02/2018, Description 2, 550.50
    01/02/2018, Description 3, -120.75

Once you have all your transactions successfully associated with the currently active account you will be able to go to the Accounting Tab -> 'Chart of accounts' and click the pen icon, then click Archive. That way, you don't have to worry about the old PayPal account coming up again.

• Options
    HealyhatmanHealyhatman Member Posts: 1

Is PayPal integration STILL broken? Because it is for me. Any update on this?

• Options
    LeesaLeesa Member Posts: 6

I seem to be in the large group of people who has multiple Paypal categories all with the exact same name, plus I'm now unable to upload my 2018 CSV for some reason (I get this: "Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type.").

What would be UBER helpful is a video tutorial showing step-by-step how to handle this in terms of:
    1 - fixing the multiple categories,
    2 - uploading the missing 2018 transactions, and
    3 - how to handle all future Paypal transactions.

Please. :)

• Options

Also, ensuring that the Paypal accounts for USD vs CAD transactions, please.

• Options

And with those Paypal uploads I have four "starting balances" all on the same day, but with different amounts. How do I handle those too?

• Options
    NCLCA_TreasurerNCLCA_Treasurer Member Posts: 3

On February 21st, I started having issues with PayPal not downloading all the transactions. Sometimes, it's the actual transaction but the fee gets downloaded; other times its the fee that gets forgotten. Any suggestions on what to do or how to fix that?

Also, where are we on a better PayPal integration?

• Options
    snappyfishsnappyfish Member Posts: 55

I find PayPal does nothing, never has. I would have to go to integrations click edit, then choose the date and click save.

But now even that does nothing?

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@Leesa @NCLCA_Treasurer @EricBlade @snappyfish The PayPal integration is still in need of some work for sure -- something that we are looking at improving in the near future, but again, still no timetable for this.

However, instead of going through the process of uploading statements manually (or directly from the transactions page itself).. my suggestion is to take a look at a new feature that we have called Wave Connect. This will allow you to import your transactions through a Google Sheet add-on that might make the process of importing these transactions more customizable and featured the way you want when they actually import; https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

Ideally, we want the integration for PayPal to work as expected (importing transactions on a daily basis with success), but there is still a bit of work that needs to go into this to make sure it's optimized to full potential.

• Options
    snappyfishsnappyfish Member Posts: 55

@JamieD said:
    @Leesa @NCLCA_Treasurer @EricBlade @snappyfish The PayPal integration is still in need of some work for sure -- something that we are looking at improving in the near future, but again, still no timetable for this.

However, instead of going through the process of uploading statements manually (or directly from the transactions page itself).. my suggestion is to take a look at a new feature that we have called Wave Connect. This will allow you to import your transactions through a Google Sheet add-on that might make the process of importing these transactions more customizable and featured the way you want when they actually import; https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

Ideally, we want the integration for PayPal to work as expected (importing transactions on a daily basis with success), but there is still a bit of work that needs to go into this to make sure it's optimized to full potential.

For some reason it's now created a paypal 1 account, and confused me even more.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@EricBlade So you're saying when you export from PayPal -- the data that you are receiving from them is virtually useless in terms of importing it into Google Sheets? Could you please give me an example of this? I'd like to see exactly what you are looking at here with the exported data from them.

• Options
    tylertervoorentylertervooren Member Posts: 5

To add a little context to this conversation: Wave has been apologizing for and promising to fix the PayPal integration since about 2012. Keep that in mind when you hear "considering it in the near future." :smile:

Wave is great software run by great people, but the PayPal integration is like a bad habit they know they need to fix but just have no motivation to actually do so.

• Options
    Bob_MBob_M Member Posts: 6

Hi, Just wanted to share I've been using the PayPal integration since January and after working thru the initial issues it is working okay. My only remaining issue is the lack of pulling in new transactions/updating. My work-around (suggested in the above thread) is to edit the PayPal integration and backdate by 1 day each time I'd like to pull in new transactions.

Is there an estimated date when this will be fixed?

Bob

• Options
    CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hey folks! Since this thread has been active recently, I wanted to share my reply from another discussion, which can hopefully add a little bit more context.

As @tylertervooren mentions, the integration has existed for years and was built for a legacy platform. As a result, it works in a very specific way and is prone to issues, especially if the connecting PayPal account has certain attributes, or if the integration is manipulated in certain ways (repeated disconnects, etc.).

Limited troubleshooting is available for PayPal because of the way that it's built. To try to refresh your connection, navigate to Integrations and click on the edit icon to the right of the to edit that connection. You’ll be able to adjust the date field to import from one day prior to the date you currently have listed. This may prompt a refresh of the connection. Refreshing the connection should not cause issues, but removing and re-adding it will create duplicates in your Chart of Accounts that require some effort to fix, so you'll want to proceed with caution.

If this doesn’t work, the connection is likely in a broken state. You’ll be able to add your transactions to Wave using a CSV file that you can easily export from PayPal. First, download your history. You’ll notice that the PayPal file contains a lot of extraneous data. You’ll want to reduce the columns until you have Date, Description, Amount as follows:

01/01/2015, Description 1, -250
    01/02/2015, Description 2, 550.50
    01/02/2015, Description 3, -120.75

You can then upload it to Wave using our bank statement upload or Wave Connect.

As far as I've heard (keep in mind that I may not have the full and complete picture) it seems like it would be difficult to fix this issue without first removing the integration entirely, and then rebuilding it. Given the complexity of integrating with financial services, this could take a long time. Part of the conversation is weighing the negative customer impact of having no integration for an unspecified period of time against having an integration that's prone to issues while we work to improve the experience.

Due to the nature of the integration, fixing issues on a single business basis isn’t always possible. We hear you, we’re listening, and our team is working to better understand these issues, what we can do to improve the experience, and where we’re able to offer workarounds.

Thank you so much for any patience you’re able to extend our way in the meantime.

edited April 22, 2019
  • Options
    HandymanHeadleeHandymanHeadlee Member Posts: 45

Given @Charlotte's post above indicating PayPal integration isn't very reliable at this time, how would you manually record a PayPal payment and account for the fees? I've just recently connected my PayPal account to Wave and have received one PayPal payment, but nothing is showing up anywhere. I've tried manually adding a deposit and trying to split it, similar to Payments by Wave, but for the split I'm restricted to income accounts only. Help!

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @HandymanHeadlee . We have a handy article that will break down exactly how to account for Merchant Fees in your transactions. Check it out here: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000472306-How-to-account-for-transaction-fees

• Options
    HandymanHeadleeHandymanHeadlee Member Posts: 45

Thank you so much, @alexlewiszarkos!

• Options
    ClaireWryghtAccountsClaireWryghtAccounts Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

@oceanmedianow I realise this thread is old now but there is a search button near the filter and sort on the new release of Wave.

I came in hope of a fix for PayPal forgetting it is integrated.

• Options
    Joel_FFPJoel_FFP Member Posts: 1

@Charlotte said:
    To try to refresh your connection, navigate to Integrations and click on the edit icon to the right of the to edit that connection. You’ll be able to adjust the date field to import from one day prior to the date you currently have listed. This may prompt a refresh of the connection. Refreshing the connection should not cause issues, but removing and re-adding it will create duplicates in your Chart of Accounts that require some effort to fix, so you'll want to proceed with caution.

This successfully imported new transactions, but it also did so under a new account with the same name and "1" added to the end. I'm not clear on how or why that happened.

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Joel_FFP . This is what Charlotte was eluding to when she mentioned that removing and re-adding the connection creates duplicate accounts in your Chart of Accounts.

The best way to handle this moving forward would be to navigate to Accounting > Transactions, and move all transactions from the old PayPal account to the new one. I'd change the names of them in your Chart of Accounts so that you can differentiate between them moving forward while moving the transactions. This should make it easier for you.

• Options
    francois12ukfrancois12uk Member Posts: 16

How do I remove the Paypal integration? Paypal integration has made a total hash of my accounts and it's going to be quicker to remove all the entries it generated and enter them afresh manually, but I cannot see how to remove those entries (do I just delete them?) nor how to remove the Paypal category in transactions. Can you help please?

edited January 11, 2020
  • Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @francois12uk! I'm sorry to hear that the PayPal integration has been a pain. The best way to remove all those entries is to delete them, yes. In order to remove the PayPal category from Transactions, you'd need to navigate to Accounting > Chart of Accounts, find that PayPal account, and archive it. There's an explanation around how to archive an account in a little more detail here: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004972106-Understanding-your-new-improved-chart-of-accounts