Problem Uploading Statement in Wave (.csv format)

alhakam88alhakam88 Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I have been using waveapps for the past two years and I loved it. I used waveapps for my personal finance. I try to upload my bank statement to waveapps using .csv format. It usually works with sometimes I have to re-save the file in .csv format again to ensure no error. But now it does not working. It keeps give error that "Something went wrong with your file upload. Try confirming that the file type is an accepted file type.".

So far I have successfully uploading about 150 .csv files. I have tried to save and resave the file again many times also give me the same error. I thought I having problem with the latest statement that I am trying to upload. I try to upload the older .csv files which work before also give the same error.

Please help, i dont what else to do.

Comments

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

Hi @alhakam88 welcome! So glad you've reached out. Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue after lots of smooth sailing. I have a couple of things you can try:

• Change the filename to something short and simple
    • If the file is large (say, a few months or more of transactions) try splitting it into smaller files
    • Copy your data from Excel into Google Sheets, redownload as a CSV, and upload that

If the issue persists, let me know, and we'll keep digging.

• calyincocalyinco Member Posts: 3

I'm having this same problem and I've tried the suggestions but it is still not working. I have tried downloading and uploading in all the suggested formats and none of them work. I've been a wave user for many years and have done this many times with success and I'm not doing anything differently. Please help!

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @calyinco, thanks for reaching out! I am sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your CSV upload.

Our CSV file upload is slightly picky. The upload really only recognizes three columns; date, description, and amount. The date column must be in the following format: MM/DD/YYYY for example it would be put in as 06/26/2019. Special characters such as #, &, $, * will cause an issue and we recommend removing these from your document.

Additionally, files with more than 100 rows tend to not upload. If your file has more than 100 rows, please break it into smaller files, each with no more than 100 rows, and upload each individually. Please let me know how these changes go for you! :smile:

Hi, I've tried everything including what you recommended and the same error keeps happening. I've tried uploading as a quicken, money and quickbook file as well. I've had success uploading in all these formats in the past so I don't think it's something I'm doing. Please advise.

• MikegMikeg Member Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

@calyinco,
    Are there any rows above the data you are trying to import? Be sure row 1 has the data.

Hi @Mikeg,

Nope, no rows above.

edited August 4, 2019

I can offer to try on your behalf. You'd have to send the file to mike@mgfinancial.net.

• allysonabakeshopallysonabakeshop Member Posts: 1

I'm having the same issue. The CSV upload used to work, but nothing I try works now. Here's a single row file I uploaded when I got this same error:

01/02/2019,Cash Sales,144.96

Is there anything wrong with this format?

@allysonabakeshop,
    If you send the file to mike@mgfinancial.net, I'd be happy to try it out in a test co I have and let you know.

• Rich_SRich_S Member Posts: 2

Please see post https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/3501/unable-to-import-any-bank-account-statements.

I'm in the UK and when I try to upload I get the same error. However, when I connected to a VPN in USA (used Windscribe and connected to Atlanta) the same file went straight through with no problems.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Rich_S . Thanks for pointing this out. We have the team looking into exactly what's going on with the VPN situation as there apparently have been other cases of this recently. We'll let you know as soon as we have more info.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@Rich_S Our engineers are still looking into this issue, so I'm afraid we still don't have an update. I just wanted to reach out to let you know that it's still being monitored, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

• JArvisJArvis Member Posts: 1

I was having the same issue when trying to upload a qfx, qbo, or csv file. When I disconnected from my VPN and re-tried, it successfully uploaded the files. Something must have changed with the way Wave authenticates with a VPN.

Hope this helps someone.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. We're still looking into the VPN issue but we don't have a solution on the horizon just yet. It looks like the issue is network related, but we'll continue to investigate.