Bills appear on bank account instead of accounts payable

Julia1Julia1 Member Posts: 7

Hi!
I am new in the community so hope I post my question to the right discussion chain!

I was going though my bank account in wave and noticed that my bills are credited twice: the date I created the bill and the date the bill was paid.
Screenshots bellow:

I tried to correct it though Transactions, but there is no option to credit a bill to account payable!

Shouldn't the bill be credited directly to accounts payable? and only the record of payment credits it to a bank account/cash/etc?

Please advice how to correct it.

Thank you in advance,
Julia

Comments

• PlayMoneyGamesPlayMoneyGames Member Posts: 2

I'm in the same boat - want to simply book an expense to Accounts Payable but it's not coming up as an option in the Transaction dropdown box despite being in my Chart of Accounts.

• Katie_WaveKatie_Wave Administrator, Moderator Posts: 24 admin

Hi @Julia1 and @PlayMoneyGames thanks for your question.

When you create and save a Bill in Wave, we take care of the Accounts Payable (A/P) entry for you. Behind the scenes, Wave will DR the Expense account(s) for the item(s) on the Bill, and CR the A/P on the Bill creation date. Later, when you mark the Bill as paid, Wave will DR the A/P and CR the respective Payment Account.

If you've created Bills in your account, you can run an account transactions report for Accounts Payable to see this in action. The advantage to Bills over creating a Journal Transaction to the Accounts Payable is that you capture much more information about the transaction itself by using a Bill, such as Vendor, Tax, Items, Quantity, Etc. However, if you'd like to make a simple entry to the Accounts Payable, you can create a Journal Entry by choosing More from the drop-down menu at the top right-hand corner of your Transactions page.

• PlayMoneyGamesPlayMoneyGames Member Posts: 2

Ah I see. So when clicking Add Expense in Accounting>Transactions you are generally creating a debit to the bank account as the contra entry.

• Julia1Julia1 Member Posts: 7

Hi @Katie_Wave
    Thank you for your reply!
    I run the report and see the transactions in accounts payable, thanks.

Unfortunately, my problem still stays unresolved.
    The payment of the bill and the bill it self (twice same amount) are credited to the bank account.
    *screenshot in the post above

is there a way to fix it?

Regards,
    Julia