Reversing invoices on Old Wave

TWilliamsTWilliams Member Posts: 3

Hello,

I have read a previous solution to this issue but still not quite sure how to apply it to my situation.

I raised an invoice for eg $75 and client paid a deposit of $35. Outstanding to be paid is $40 which is currently showing in Accounts receivable. She later pulls out of the class so I have 2 things to do:

• Reverse the entire transaction on the invoice itself to reduce my revenue for the period; and
  • Show the refund of $35 on the invoice itself.

I can capture the unpaid balance of $40 as Unpaid income to nil out the invoice but that would be a misrepresentation of what actually happened.

Please advise on how to deal with both issues above.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @TWilliams, what you're describing is a situation where you'd need to write the invoice off as bad debt. You mentioned reading a solution for this previously; was it this guide from our Help Center? If you haven't seen that yet, give it a look. However, if that's what you read and still didn't find that it was fitting for you, please let me know so we can flesh this out in greater detail.

• TWilliamsTWilliams Member Posts: 3

Hello,

Thank you so much. No not this guide. Someone asked a question recently but the response was better suited fr those on the new Wave. Can't seem to find it anymore.

Writing it off as a bad debt will not work because I need to reverse the VAT element as well. So I need to reverse the whole transaction from the income side and also show the effect of the refund on my bank account.

Many thanks.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@TWilliams I'm wondering if this is the thread you were looking at? https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/comment/12488#Comment_12488 -- in any case, since you are on the older version of our software.. I feel as though these steps might be beneficial for you here;

Either add a negative product and apply tax to it on the original invoice, or create a new invoice with a negative amount with tax applied. From there, you will want to use the refund transaction to mark the invoice as paid.