Options

Splitting Bank Transaction Causing Invoices to be Marked as Paid Twice

ctdookctdook Member Posts: 12

Hi - Sometimes I get a client that send a check to cover more than one invoice. In the Transactions section, this is causing a problem. While, I can "split" the bank transaction and apply that to multiple invoices, the invoice amount is appearing to have received payment "twice", therefore it is showing an end of negative value (that I owe the client a refund). This will cause all the reporting to be off. How do I fix this?

Comments

• Options
    andynoiseboyandynoiseboy Member Posts: 13

I can only empaphise rather than help. I have regular bank payments for multiple invoices - this is ubiquitous in business. When Wave finds the payment thru the bank account link update, I only seem to be able to allocate the payment to one invoice. Is this a similar/related issue?

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@ctdook If they are sending you a check to cover more than one invoice, you should be able to split that bank deposit transaction, and associate that transaction with both invoices the check is meant for -- could you please elaborate a little bit more as to what happens when you attempt this? The only time this would duplicate the invoices being marked as paid is if you recorded the payment on the invoice itself and then the bank deposit came through without a categorization of the invoice payment.

@andynoiseboy Based on this information it sounds like you have a bulk deposit for multiple invoices that are listed as unpaid. With that said, you should be able to split that transaction as normal, and categorize it with all of the invoices payments that are outstanding -- I've taken a screenshot to show an example of this.

• Options
    Sarah_SSarah_S Member Posts: 4

This was helpful - up to a point - in a situation where I had 6 different invoices covered under a single bank deposit. I split the deposit, as shown above, six ways. Then marked the various invoices as paid (within the drop-downs against the invoice listing) ... but I now have entries showing payment of the whole amount, then payment of each individual invoice. Presume I need to merge the transactions, either together or separately, but wave does not let me do this - either individually or together. Where am I going wrong?

• Options
    Sarah_SSarah_S Member Posts: 4

PS After I split the deposit, all the relevant invoices were still showing as unpaid, hence why I then dealt with them as described above.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Sarah_S. Once you split the transaction and associate it with all of your invoices as you've done above -- the should be marked as paid.. could you please confirm (if possible with screenshots) what you are seeing on your end? In terms of the actual deposit transaction as well as the invoices being marked as unpaid.

• Options
    ctdookctdook Member Posts: 12

Hi @JamieD - Sorry for the late reply, but your advice worked. I typically go into the invoices and mark them as paid, but it appears that it's better to go to transactions and mark them as paid from there so that there will not be duplicate payments recorded.