Recurring Invoice Due Date

fidofido Member Posts: 16

Is there any way I can set my recurring invoice date to something between invoice date and 7 days? I invoice weekly for the following week, but want this to be 5 days. I seem to be only able to change this once the invoice is created - which means I can't set it to automatically send, which I want to have happen!

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @fido! Currently, it's only possible to set the payment due date for recurring invoices at the intervals you are seeing. You can set up a specific date for invoices created manually, or change the due date of a specific instance of your recurring invoice after it was created.

• fidofido Member Posts: 16

Thanks Alexia. I thought that was the case, though unfortunately that means manually modifying and manually sending each invoice, which adds up to a bit of extra workload.

• dansx6dansx6 Member Posts: 6

Why are the options for payment due date different for single invoices and recurring invoices? I would like to make the payment due date consistent but I get different intervals for each type of invoice.

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi @fido Thanks for explaining this. We had created some of the most common due date intervals people were using but I can see the need for you to set the interval yourself.

@dansx6 The same pre-sets exist for Recurring invoices and single invoices, however, as Fido mentioned, we don't have more granular intervals to select. What interval were you looking for but couldn't find?

Thanks,

Rahim

• dansx6dansx6 Member Posts: 6

Rahim
    When I go into settings to set up my default invoice template I have these due date options-on receipt, 15, 30, 45, 60 and 90 days. The options for recurring invoices are on receipt, 7, 14, 30, 45, 60, or 90 days. I really would like to make the default invoice due date 7 days, same as what I am going to use for recurring invoices.

edited January 10, 2019
  • fidofido Member Posts: 16
    @Rahim, my comment was from nearly a year ago!
    Yes, would still be nice to set the due date to any interval. It causes confusion for clients when their invoice shows due now (on receipt) for the next week before I've completed services this week. At the same time I want payment before I provide services, so due in 7 days is too late.
  • HeadroomHeadroom Member Posts: 7

Similar question but I would like to make date payable as fixed for 1st of month on recurring invoices. Obviously I could do this by dating the invoice for 7 days before but not all months have same number of days.

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

@Headroom

Thanks for the feedback. Are your recurring invoices created on the first of the month as well? In that case, you can use due on receipt as the due date.

Thanks for the additional feedback on this thread!

• HeadroomHeadroom Member Posts: 7

@Rahim

Thanks, I have seen the Due on Receipt option however I would like to give clients a reminder before the date, say 7 days. It is in their contract due on 1st and yes a workaround currently would be to date the invoice on the 23rd but of course this would not always be accurate. I am just being fussy I guess but an Invoice Due specific date option does not seem so bad an idea?

• Tony_2470Tony_2470 Member Posts: 1

I would like to send invoice out on the 17th of each month and due on the first of each month, why is this so difficult to set up. Our contract states payment due on the first of each month. How can I sent it ahead of due date and always have my due date on the 1st.

• AmandaKAmandaK Member Posts: 73 admin

@Headroom - Love your proposed workaround, but also understand that having the option to set a specific due date rather than select from preset date ranges would be ideal for you. While I can't make any promises, our product team is definitely aware this is something our users are asking for and we really appreciate your ongoing feedback!

@Tony_2470 - At this time, we only offer default payment terms for our recurring invoices of on receipt or within 7, 14, 30, 45, 60, or 90 days. You can manually edit an invoice's due date to be the 1st of the month once it's been been created, but I understand you're likely looking for a more automated solution. If you have any flexibility in your dates, I would recommend changing your invoice date to the 18th and setting your payment terms to within 14 days so that in months with 31 days, your due date should land exactly on the 1st.

• Sara_the_dog_runnerSara_the_dog_runner Member Posts: 3

I dont have a default option for 7 days. The lowest is 15.
    Previous comments in this thread suggest 7 days and 14 days are possible.

edited March 21, 2019
  • SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @Sara_the_dog_runner! Recurring invoices should have 7 and 14 day options for setting a due date, but regular invoices provide within 15 days as the lowest, unless you set the date manually (which is also only available as a setting in regular invoices, due to the variability of recurring). If recurring invoices are only giving you the option of 15 and up, could you send over a screenshot of the recurring invoices edit page?

• Sara_the_dog_runnerSara_the_dog_runner Member Posts: 3

Its a standard invoice that I'm sending, not a recurring one. Is there any reason for the options being different? Seems strange.

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

@Sara_the_dog_runner I agree, it definitely does. I think it largely has to do with the variability of the scheduler option in recurring. Because you're setting it up on a frequency, it has to give a broader range of due dates. But because regular invoices are sent out at a specific time, you can also set a specific due date. That being said, that doesn't mean we couldn't have a similar timeframe (the ability to set a specific date, or 7, 14 days etc), I'm going to submit this as a feature request!

• SuitedConnectorSuitedConnector Member Posts: 5

I need the invoice payment due date to have to option to select an exact day of the month, such as: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. rather than Within 7 days etc. Per the terms of our client contract the payments are due on the same day of the month. Is there any way to customize this?

Should be a simple script, no? I see that several users need this feature.

edited April 20, 2019
  • JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@SuitedConnector When you are setting up your recurring invoice, you should be able to select the specific date of the month (aka the 1st of the month) under the set schedule section in the recurring invoice itself. Also, if you set the 'payment due' to 'on-receipt,' that means your client will be billed on that same day that you send out the invoice (so the 1st of the month in this example). The bonus is if you have auto-pay turned off for these clients, they will also be charged right away via Wave's invoicing.

• SuitedConnectorSuitedConnector Member Posts: 5

I need to bill the client in advance and set the Payment Due Date to the 16th of each month. The invoices need to be issued at least 15 days before the due date so that the client has adequate notice in case they forget about the payment date.

I guess this is not possible since you did not directly answer my question. But I don't understand why that option of payments dates cannot be added into your code.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@SuitedConnector I know it's not exactly 15 days before like you mentioned, but would it be amenable to set the due date as "within 14 days" and then use the custom filters for the recurring schedule to set the generation date as the 16th of each month? I've attached a screenshot of how I set up a test recurring invoice if that helps clarify!

edited April 26, 2019
  • JimmyWilkinsJimmyWilkins Member Posts: 8

I'm going to chime in as another user who needs this functionality. Creating & sending an invoice ahead of time that will always be due, for example, on the 1st of the next month is a very common use case.

In fact, I would say having a strictly determined day-of-the-month 'due date' is much more important than the current function which enables a strictly determined day-of-the-month 'send date' for recurring invoices. Where they are not identical, a fluctuation of a day in the send/receive date is probably not important, but a fluctuation in the due date can be a big problem.

Thanks.

edited October 25, 2019
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @JimmyWilkins . Definitely appreciate any and all feedback on this. Thank you!

• Ibrahim254Ibrahim254 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue as seemingly many others using Wave's reoccurring invoicing, whereby I want to invoice my clients for the 1st of every month but have the actual invoice sent 14 days prior to the 1st as a reminder for the clients who may have forgotten that their payment is due on the 1st. At present the only work around I see is to manually set the invoice date to 14 days before the first of the next month and then select the option 'due within 14 days'. This option is time consuming when used for a number of clients. If there is another option please let me know. Thanks!
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Ibrahim254! Thanks for your feedback on this. The 'due within 14 days' workaround that you've outlined here is going to be your best bet for the time being, but please be assured that we're aware of the ongoing feedback around this feature we've been receiving, and appreciate it always.

• WulfWulf Member Posts: 5
    Same here. Would like to send invoices on the 15th and make them due the 1st of the next month. Side note also would like auto late fees added if possible. Or the ability to change the writing on the reminder email
  • StevePierceStevePierce Member Posts: 5

I have been requesting the same thing for a very long time. I like to send out invoices two months before they are due and then send reminders at 1 month and then on the due date to encourage early payment. Something that was easy to do in Freshbooks. Customers HATE HATE HATE it when an invoice is sent and then three days later they get a past due notice.