How to convert an estimate to an invoice

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to convert an estimate to an invoice

Your client accepted your estimate. Congratulations! Wave makes it easy to convert an estimate to an invoice, so let's get you paid!

Click Sales in the menu on the left side of your screen. 
Click...

Read the full story here

edited March 11, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• RillSojiRillSoji Member Posts: 1

Is there a way to create an invoice that is only 50% of the estimate. Then later create another invoice for the remaining 50%?

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @RillSoji - not at the moment, but that is a really good suggestion. Before passing it onto our Product Team, I was wondering if I could dig in a little more in regards to how you'd like to see this function? I'm thinking something along the lines of being able to create an estimate for the full job, via which you could also outline a payments plan, and then invoice for the first instalment? Would you want this to interface with regular invoices, or would it be useful to also have it be able to schedule recurring invoices for you that would end once the full estimate value was met?

• keithdj_49keithdj_49 Member Posts: 1

I am new to Wave and would like to see similar feature. I am a web designer and would like to bill in 3 installments one at start, one after design approval and one at delivery and launch.

• Oliver_umppOliver_umpp Member Posts: 3

I need this feature as well.
    My customers pay 50% in advanced in order for me to start the manufacturing of my products, when the product is shipped I need to make an invoice for the remaining 50%. This is due because in Spain (where I do business) if you make only one invoice with the full amount and make partial payments (the only way to do it right now) it generates a problem to our customers since they will be asked to pay taxes for the whole amount, not the part they already paid.

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @keithdj_49 , @Oliver_umpp , thanks for chiming in here and giving some great context and suggestions on this. We are aware that there is a demand for this feature, and feedback like this is essential for getting it off the ground, so thanks! :smile:

• RoyElHajjRoyElHajj Member Posts: 1
    I can still see the estimate after converting it to an invoice. Is this normal or should the estimate disappear after converting it?
  • EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @RoyElHajj! This is normal! The estimate will remain on your Estimates page in Wave after you convert it. This is so you have a record of what has been created. If you 'view' an invoice on your Invoices page, it will mention if the invoice was created from an estimate conversion.

• Alex_atin1Alex_atin1 Member Posts: 2
    When I convert from estimate to invoice, the notes and footnotes of the estimate remain instead of changing to the default customized notes and footnotes of the invoice. This is a huge problem because the two are completely different, and it’s a pain to have to change those notes every single time an estimate is converted over.

For example, the customized note for an estimate will say “This is only an estimate, not a bill, of the total cost to complete the work stated above.” And the note for the invoice will say “We accept all forms of payment. Please make checks payable to so and so.” When I convert the estimate to the invoice, it still says “This is an estimate...” in the notes.

Is there any way you can fix it so that you only convert the contents/service details of the estimate to the invoice and not the default estimate customized notes? Otherwise, this seemingly helpful conversion feature is completely useless.
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Alex_atin1

I can tell you that our sales product team is aware of this and I apologize that it adds extra work to your invoicing. I don't have an update for when this will be fixed but I've submitted a ticket to our sales team to investigate this issue!

Sorry once again for the added work.

• Alex_atin1Alex_atin1 Member Posts: 2
    @BarsinA Thank you for your response and thank you for submitting a ticket on our behalf. We like Wave and we hope that this issue will be resolved quickly.
  • NewUserZNewUserZ Member Posts: 1

When I create an estimate and then convert it to an invoice, this invoice does not show up as accounts receivable. When I create an invoice from scratch it does show up as account receivable. Pls help.

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey @NewUserZ that's definitely a weird situation! Are you able to post some screenshots of the issue that you are describing? This will help me understand the issue and potentially see if our team can take a closer look! (Feel free to redact any highly sensitive information - I mainly was hoping to see the invoice created and the Accounts Receivable transactions to confirm that it is not there).

• VeronVeron Member Posts: 1

Hi, as I know the Estimate will be remained on the Estimates page after converted to Invoice, as a record of what has been created. However, could the estimate's status being highlight in Green after converting it to an invoice? So, we could know the Estimate was approved and converted to Invoices.

edited September 4, 2020
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Veron

Thanks for you valued input in our community. At this point, our estimates page is a bit dated and we know that it is in need of an update. Currently our team is working diligently on the invoicing page as well as a new Transactions Page Experience.

We're always looking for feedback from our customers on how we can improve our software with every update we make. So we appreciate you reaching out about this and you should know that our developers are always parsing through archived tickets looking for feature updates requested by our users. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other improvements you think we could make to our system!

• Digital_Stain_123Digital_Stain_123 Member Posts: 1
    How do you convert an Estimate to an Invoice using the app? I know how to do it on desktop version but haven’t found the method on the Wave app.
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @Digital_Stain_123 , because our mobile Invoices app doesn't support Estimates, I'm afraid you can't convert through the app. This does need to be done through the desktop version itself.

• Alyssa_C_AAlyssa_C_A Member Posts: 2

When I convert my Estimate to an Invoice, the notes/footnotes are not changes per the default settings. I noticed this was brought up a while ago in the previous comments. Has this issue been fixes or am I doing something wrong?

Also, I read in a previous comment as well that the estimates do not clear if the invoice has been processed. Is this feature available yet ?

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Alyssa_C_A ! Currently this functionality isn't supported in Wave as you may know. For full transparency, we don't plan on implementing the automatic change of estimate default settings to invoice default setting upon conversion on our current product road map. I understand that this is a valuable feature and we appreciate you expressing your interest as we may revisit this functionality.

When an estimate is converted into an invoice, Wave still keeps a copy of the estimate on the Sales > Estimates page for future reference if necessary. If you converted an estimate to an invoice and wish to get rid of the estimate afterwards, you can delete it if you'd like.

edited November 10, 2020
  • AluminaMGAluminaMG Member Posts: 1

When converting an estimate to an invoice, I understand that Wave keeps a copy of the estimate, but the note/memo on the new "converted" invoice should then be that of the invoice default note/memo. If the word "Estimate" and its number can be changed to "Invoice" with a new invoice number, why can't the note/memo be changed automatically on the newly generated invoice as well? It's frustrating that you can't even change it manually.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hello @AluminaMG !

Thanks for reaching out about this. I completely understand your concern and frustration here. This is something that has been flagged for our Product Development Team. However, for full transparency, there is no ETA available on when or if this change will be implemented.

• Patricia3169Patricia3169 Member Posts: 1

This process doesn't show the estimate as converted ever - is there a glitch? Can't the estimate display "converted" after converting so we know our conversion rate?

• KristenVKristenV Member Posts: 121 admin

Hi @Patricia3169 , at this time Wave does not have a feature which indicates which estimates have been converted through. Sales > Estimates. However, if you view the invoice that was created from the estimate itself, in the invoice details, you will be able to see that the invoice was created from the specific estimate that was converted. I hope that helps!