How to import past transactions from your bank or credit card account

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to import past transactions from your bank or credit card account

When Wave connects to your bank, the number of past transactions we can import is limited by what your bank allows. With most banks, it will be something between 6 and 12 weeks of recent transactio...

Read the full story here

edited March 17, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• kinofistkinofist Member Posts: 6

I originally set this software up using the beginning of my last tax year (2018) to sync bank data as this was going to be the first year using Wave after abandoning my lesser, older, not well supported software Neat. However after using it I have decided that I like it enough to use over Neat for the previous tax year (2017) too (as I am finishing that too. Lol). It will not let me resync data though and I have to do some convoluted data import from a file downloaded from my bank, and subsequently delete the duplicates that overlap. In addition some of this data is unavailable from my bank, like for my business credit line so I have to do MANUAL entries for that now. It would be MUCH simpler to just resync from an earlier date like when I set this up initially.

• DDAidenDDAiden Member Posts: 2

Hi, I was wondering if there was any way to import my historical data from Simply Accounting into Wave; if so, how far back can I load historical (trial balance) data?

• GeofffishGeofffish Member Posts: 1

Hi. I have been using Wave for some years in Australia. I REALLY miss not having the bank feeds because I end up with a whole lot of imported transactions as income instead of payments. PLEASE reconsider for us Aussies.
    Cheers, Geoff Fisher, Perth WA.

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@DDAiden it sounds as though you were hoping to import past accounting into Wave. Many Wavers opt to store their past financial data on hand, but use their ending balances for their accounts as their starting balances in Wave, and continue cleanly from where they have left off. This could be an approach that you take. Alternatively, you could use Wave connect (our official integration with Google Sheets) to import the transactions into Wave. In saying this, you might want to check out more about Wave Connect here: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

• tonitii24tonitii24 Member Posts: 4

Hi, I keep trying to use Wave Connect, but then Wave Connect overwrites and erases all of my data instead of putting it into columns. Then I try to copy and paste it back in, but it's not working!!!

EDIT: I actually got the transactions to upload by bypassing the first step. However, now I have duplicates with the transactions already uploaded from my banks! AND my transactions aren't categorized, so what's the point?? So now I'm trying to delete all of my transactions in my account :(

• greystokegreystoke Member Posts: 2

my bank account is connected and has always transferred transactions automatically- Sept 14 was the last time and now it won't do it. I cancelled the connect accounts and turned back on-- no luck.. I need to send a receipt but the money isn't showing in wave as deposited- but it is in the bank.Frustrated

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @greystoke , for any bank connection issues we typically troubleshoot these over ticket as the agent has more insight into your connected info. I see that you've submitted a ticket so I've flagged it for our team to respond to.

In regards to sending a payment receipt, you can always mark the invoice as paid manually through the invoice itself temporarily and send a receipt. Alternatively, you could also import bank statements using our Google Sheets integration called Wave Connect which can act as your bank connection in the interim until it's fixed.

• greystokegreystoke Member Posts: 2

yes i did the import from google sheets but it is not as simple and you have to go back and manually enter what everything was- not convenient. Still have had no help from anyone....

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @greystoke ! After taking a look at your ticket request on the back end, it looks like one of our agents has since assisted you with your issue. If you still require assistance, feel free to follow-up via ticket or here on our Community forum.

• ToddBToddB Member Posts: 4

Does Wave partner with any banks or recommend a bank for small business checking accounts? I'm curious which platform Wave works best with to reduce any possible issues. I prefer all digital everything.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @ToddB

Typically we don't make these types of recommendations as bank transactions can ebb and flow based on their frequent updates.

As you may already know Wave uses a 3rd party banking aggregator called Plaid to "scrape" the information securely from your banking transactions page, then convert it to a transaction in Wave. Essentially what happens is that your bank is constantly making new updates to their back end security encryption because naturally banks want to remain on top when it comes to having the latest in security. When any of these changes are made, it will disconnect from Wave. Plaid has to then create a new connection path depending on the type of changes that your bank made.

With that being said we can't predict what changes a bank might make which could sever the connection. I do apologize about that!

Hope this offers some more insight.

• cassiefiocassiefio Member Posts: 1

I started using Wave when I switched banks a few months ago. Since my old bank account is closed, should I manually upload sales/expenses into Wave?

Hey @cassiefio !

Wave offers a few options to import and upload your transactions manually. You can learn more about these below:

• geraldhousegeraldhouse Member Posts: 2

only my payments to the credit card are being pulled--not all expense transactions?
    Gerald

Hey @geraldhouse , just confirming your question. You're uploading a credit card statement and the only payments that are being pulled from it are payments to the Credit Card itself? If that's the case, please condense the amount of line items showing up to only credit card expenses (no cc payments) and let me know if the system picks it up this way.

• geraldhousegeraldhouse Member Posts: 2

No. Thank you anyway. I will just manually enter the expenses.
    Gerald

• OLASUNKANMIOLASUNKANMI Member Posts: 1

Hi, I am Samuel. I need help on this asap. The issue is that, i record payments regularly but my expenses i don't record them and now i want to start the recording but it is quite much. I would love to know if i can import only debit (expenses) transactions from my bank statement (csv as recommended) rather than importing both debit and credit which would amount to duplication of my credit (income) transactions which had been recorded against my invoices already.

Hey @OLASUNKANMI , I'd recommend uploading your .csv through our free Google Sheets integration called Wave Connect, that way you can comb through it and pick out the specific transactions that are income. As it turns out, there's no way to have the integration select just expense transactions, but Wave Connect should make it easier to view and determine what to delete and what to keep.

• ToniBToniB Member Posts: 1

My transactions for the last two months of 2020 are not showing up in Wave, and my bank only downloads PDF versions of statements. How can I get the transactions into Wave without entering them all manually?

Hey @ToniB !

In terms of pulling previous account data, Wave is only able to go as far back as a financial institution permits us (usually 30, 60, or 90 days). If your bank only offers your bank statements in PDF format, you can look into using Tabula to convert your PDF to a CSV file. A lot of our users find this workaround handy. We do offer a few other importing options as well though.

The best method to get older bank data into Wave is Wave Connect.
    Wave Connect allows you to upload or download transactional data, invoices, customer lists, etc, into a Google spreadsheet. Your excel files can be easily transferred into a Google spreadsheet as well. See this image below of what Wave Connect looks like:
    image All you need to do is input the transactional information into a template that is generated through the add-on feature in Google sheets and it auto-populates right into your Wave account once you've validated the data.

You also have the ability to upload bank or credit statements by following the instructions outlined here: Upload electronic bank and credit card statements.

I hope this helps!

• LorettaLoretta Member Posts: 3
    I don’t understand why I haven’t received a payment yet. Where is my money???
  • Jtboyce4Jtboyce4 Member Posts: 1

I am unable to connect back my Chase account. It tells me I have a username/password error which I do not. Do you know how to fix?

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hi @Loretta,

I see that you've already spoken with our Risk team on this issue via email, but feel free to let us know if you have any further questions!

Hey @Jtboyce4,

I checked your account connection, and it looks like you have recently changed your log in details, which is causing the reconnection error. As it turns out, when you make a change to your log in details, Wave isn't able to "update" them for the connection, so the connection breaks. To fix this, the connection needs to be deleted and re-connected entirely, so that transactions can start importing again.

When you reconnect, please make sure to select the date of the last imported transaction, and the same account the transactions are currently importing into, to prevent duplication errors :smile:

edited April 29, 2021
  • trishonsmythetrishonsmythe Member Posts: 4

dude, how is anybody suppose to red, understand and comprehend all of this information in this help center? I started reading it and brain shut down halfway through. How someone suppose to receive help like this??? Thank you.