Cancel Invoice

Brandagic_jFBrandagic_jF Member Posts: 1

Hi, how can I cancel the invoice.

Comments

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @Brandagic_jF - you can just delete it if there are no payments on it via Sales > Invoices. If you've sent it out the customer already, I'd also recommend following up with them to let them know the invoice has been cancelled (if they haven't been informed already).

• keepbkkeepbk Member Posts: 17

@samd It would be useful to be able to cancel invoices, rather than delete them to have record of it for future reference should the sale go forward in the future or one needs to reference it.

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

@keepbk if you need to write off an invoice that will not be paid, you can also treat it as bad debt and write it off. Or did you mean something other than a scenario where a client no longer intends to pay?

@Charlotte You're correct on the latter. It wouldn't be a bad debt. It would simply be that a customer changed their mind or perhaps the products/services have changed. I understand you can edit an invoice, but when it comes to very specific, custom work (rather than an item SKU), it becomes important to keep a record or have the ability to "turn that invoice back on". Thus far, I've been downloading PDFs of such invoices and keeping them as records, but it would be nice to have them in the system. Thanks.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @keepbk! Thanks for providing the insight on how you are treating these specific unpaid invoices with the workaround. The only current option (as you know) is writing them off as bad debt, but in some instances, this simply doesn't work for our users so I appreciate the feedback you've given us here.

@JamieD Thanks for the response.

• PhilllPhilll Member Posts: 1
    If you delete an invoice already sent to client, can they still pay it or does the stripe payment link automatically stop working?

I've sent an invoice but client hasn't paid in time so going to cancel booking but dont want them to be able to pay it still?
  • EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @Philll! If you delete the invoice entirely before the customers pays it, the link they have to the invoice will no longer work. They will receive an error if they try to open it up! Hope that helps :)

• zcelinezceline Member Posts: 1

@Samd said:
    Hey @Brandagic_jF - you can just delete it if there are no payments on it via Sales > Invoices. If you've sent it out the customer already, I'd also recommend following up with them to let them know the invoice has been cancelled (if they haven't been informed already).

Has the ability to cancel an invoice been added since this original post? I needed to re-invoice a customer in a different currency, but want to retain a copy of the initial invoice for future reference. If I delete it, this is not possible, and it's not really a writeoff.

TIA!

• KristenVKristenV Member Posts: 121 admin

Hi @zceline , at this time Wave does not have a feature which allows you to cancel invoices, I'm afraid. If you need to issue a new invoice to your customer and still retain a copy of the initial invoice, the workaround I recommend is letting your customer know to disregard the initial invoice.