Changing a transaction category re-creates invoice

TravisTravis Member Posts: 1

I've taken over the accounting for our Scout group and am having some trouble when it comes to categorising invoice payments. Once I see the payment for an invoice in the bank I can then record a payment in Wave and all goes well.

When I go into the transaction in Wave the category is listed Invoice #XXX | Payment from Payee. I can change the category to something that will make sense when reported down the track, however after a few minutes Wave seems to recreate the invoice, deleting my category change. It then lists it as an outstanding invoice and the only way I can progress is to delete the invoice (that has already been marked as paid) or record a payment, which then records two sets of income.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @Travis . When you mark an invoice as paid, it creates a corresponding transaction in your Transactions page which is categorized to the invoice. If you change the categorization, it will then unmark the invoice as paid as the invoice will no longer have a corresponding payment transaction associated to it. When you then remark the invoice as paid, it once again creates another corresponding transaction (thus duplicating your income).

In general, there's no need to categorize these invoice payment transactions because when you receive payment towards an invoice, the income is already broken down on an item-by-item basis (based on your invoice line items). With this being said, there's no reason to categorize the income transactions in your Transactions page, as it is already being recorded.