What to do if Wave can't read your OFX, QBO, ASO, or QFX file

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageWhat to do if Wave can't read your OFX, QBO, ASO, or QFX file

You may need to make minor changes to a file when uploading your bank statement in the file formats OFX, QBO, ASO, and QFX.  
If you received the error message "Wave needs you to make a small ...

Read the full story here

edited April 10, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• fragfrag Member Posts: 3

Found a bug in the import: withdrawals are considered deposits
    The two columns Deposit and Withdrawals should be merged into one column Account (with negative amounts for the withdrawals).

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@frag I've seen this in the past when the account is set up in the incorrect space in the Chart of Accounts. What I mean by this is that debits and credits are determined by the type of account that the transactions occur in. As an example, increasing a balance in an asset account is a debit, while the same action in a credit card is a credit. I'm curious if you could let me know the account type that it is, and where you have set it up in your Chart of Accounts. This could be a potential reason why you are seeing your credits and debits backwards.

• fragfrag Member Posts: 3

it's a regular checking account
    i solved it by merging the two columns into one with negative sign on the withdrawals

• coppermillcoppermill Member Posts: 3

I've gone from fully automated bank account transactions import directly from the bank to your system not accepting my download from my bank to import. This has increase my workload by 500%.

I understand that the banks are now charging for connections to them, which I am happy to pay you for this service.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@coppermill I totally get the upset but usually we can find a way to make the manual upload process easier. What file format do your bank statements download to? Usually there are file converters that can convert to CSV, the format Wave uses for uploading statements. Wave Connect, our Google Sheets add-on, is another alternative for uploading transactions into Wave. This actually might be the easier route if your bank doesn't download to CSV. You can learn about how to set it up here: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

• coppermillcoppermill Member Posts: 3
    Yes I’ve tried importing all the formats that they provided which is four of the formats you support but none of the work.

The bank is Santander in the UK
  • JK007JK007 Member Posts: 8

I am having a problem too. capital one bank, business checking. previously auto downloaded fine then when that stopped working, I could easily download a QBO or other file and did that for several months. Now I get an error with every format. I submitted a support ticket too last week but have not heard back.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@coppermill With the CSV's tend to be the best format to upload with. With the CSV, what happens when you try and upload it? Do you get any error messages? This article is also really helpful for troubleshooting CSV uploading (there's even a template for the upload at the bottom of this article!): https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622596-What-to-do-if-Wave-can-t-read-your-statement-in-CSV-format

@JK007 Looks like one of our support agents got back to you today and you're in good hands. I'll let you guys continue by email. :)

• JK007JK007 Member Posts: 8

Just wanted to post the follow up to this in case it helps someone else. Hamish from support was awesome and helped me figure this out. Very strangely, it appeared that doing it over a wired ethernet connection did not work, while doing it over a wifi network did work. Strange but just wanted to share that if that helps anyone with troubleshooting. I know buried in the tips was to try it on a different network, now I know why that's in there.

• cylon58cylon58 Member Posts: 5

Why is this broken now? I have been able to upload any format from Chase Bank for years and all the sudden I wont work!
    1. The CSV file shows the charge amounts as a negative and importing into Wave causes the items to be listed as refunds instead of charges
    2. changing the Encoding does not work. It still results in an error message

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey @cylon58 Are you able to let me know what kind of bank account it is, and where you created it in your chart of accounts? It sounds as though the account may be created in the wrong section of the chart of accounts which could result in the transactions being imported backwards

• FreddieFreddie Member Posts: 1

No, not applicable for a CSV file, that has no problem

• TheBootCampGirlTheBootCampGirl Member Posts: 1

Hi-I changed my pdf files to csv. When I tried to upload I got the error msg (above). I opened my statement in notepad but there was no "encoding" msg. I only saw the full document as I had already seen. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @ThatBootCampGirl! Thanks for reaching out here. Can you let me know how you had changed those PDF files over to CSV? I'm wondering if that might be the source of your issue here!

• niania Member Posts: 1

I downloaded my bank statements using .OFX. Tried to upload to wave and msg was "could not read your CSV file...download is a zip file

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @nia! In order for Wave to read those CSV files, you would need to unzip that file and upload each CSV file within it.

• StephKayStephKay Member Posts: 7

Brilliant!... have been struggling with my Bank's new website for over a week. On the old site the upload worked perfectly, but on the new site it would not load into WAVE. This fixed it - changed the UTF-8 to the USASCll. I never got an error message it just hung with the message "Your transactions are being imported from your bank statement. Please check back in a few minutes." Hope this may help someone else too :-)

• MelonB88MelonB88 Member Posts: 2

Have done what this article says on an ofx doc and still doesn't upload.
    Also tried csv and no luck there.
    Please help

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @MelonB88 , if you're still having trouble with your ofx doc, check out our free Google Sheets integration called Wave Connect which will help you import your transactions into Wave. I find it's a lot less finicky than the .csv uploader.

• sehickmansehickman Member Posts: 1

This solution did not work, by the way. I finally had to download it as CVS. Just FYI. And OFX used to work, so why did this function suddenly break? Very frustrating.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @sehickman !

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your OFX file. OFX files should still be supported. Perhaps actioning some browser troubleshooting steps will help. If the issue persists, and if you are seeing an error message on your end, do you mind sending me a screenshot?