How to bulk categorize transactions

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to bulk categorize transactions

You're categorizing your transactions, and you notice several that belong to the same category. Don't categorize them one by one — save time by learning to bulk categorize your transactions!
To bul...

Read the full story here

edited April 17, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• galenhammondgalenhammond Member Posts: 2

Why does this function not work with credit cards under the liability accounts? I can see Accounts Payable, but no line of credit or credit cards...thus forcing me to categorize each payment transfer from a bank account to a credit card account individually.

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @galenhammond, thanks for reaching out. You're correct it is only possible to bulk categorize transactions that are all in the same account. It is not possible to bulk categorize credit card payments, the reason for this is that this requires a transfer, showing the movement of funds from one place to another and therefore each one must be done individually.

• galenhammondgalenhammond Member Posts: 2

Thanks @Zoe_caff! Sorry for tone of my post....I was swamped the day I wrote it, and just now realized that it sounded harsher than I felt or intended to convey. That does make sense. My question stems from having that ability in Quicken Home and Business (which I have been migrating away from)….and wondering if Wave has (or plans to have) that feature. Thanks!

• mem23mem23 Member Posts: 17

Is there a way to bulk edit the Account section. I need to change a bunch to Checking Account.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @galenhammond . No need to apologize at all! We don't have plans to change this at the moment, but I'll let the team know that you're reaching out about it!

Hey @mem23 . You can only bulk categorize the categorization of the transaction, not the account.

• bigseebigsee Member Posts: 2

@mem23 @AlexL just FYI, but I was doing some reconciliation today and it seems that I was able to bulk edit the account section. I see this page was last updated 14 Oct - unless I've misunderstood the question, perhaps this is a new (welcome) feature?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @bigsee thanks for bringing this back up! Bulk editing account sections of transactions is a new feature we've rolled out in the past little while! Glad you're enjoying it :)

• dannyboyLPdannyboyLP Member Posts: 3

It would be very helpful to be able to bulk change "customer". Also, creating labels would be helpful as well as an added layer that reports can be generated on. For example, a real estate company with several properties might like to see income and expense for each property, although it's all one company and would like to see the report for the whole company as well.

Hey @dannyboyLP . Thanks for the feedback on this. They're not currently on our timeline, but I definitely see how they'd come in handy.

• CambridgeMakersCambridgeMakers Member Posts: 7

I would love to know when Bulk allocation to vendoror customer will be added to this list.

Hey @CambridgeMakers . This isn't currently located on our short term roadmap at the moment. Thanks for submitting your feedback though on a feature that you would find useful!

• AutomatedAccountingAutomatedAccounting Member Posts: 3

Would love to be able to bulk add customers and vendors still. Has this changed the priority changed on your roadmap vs November last year?

• ZuzZuz Member Posts: 1

I am trying to find out why Wave keeps CRASHING when I try to bulk categorize and I cannot find any info!

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Zuz

First off let me apologize for the delay in our response as we are currently dealing with a major backlog in our support requests.

Sounds like you might be experiencing a potential browser issue!

A lot of the time, this can be fixed by tweaking some things in your internet browser. Wave supports the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. We'd also recommend that you try using Wave with browser extensions disabled. If you have Chrome, try opening up an incognito window, logging into your Wave account, and try again (or if you have Firefox, open a private browsing window).

If that doesn't work, you may also need to clear your cache and cookies. You can read more about the browsers we support, and how to troubleshoot issues for your individual browser HERE. If you are still having problems or if you have any other questions, please get in touch.

• NazroudNazroud Member Posts: 1

Can one no longer search for a keyword and then click the "select all" button to edit and recategorize, instead of selecting items one by one? that was my main point of happiness with Wave ......
    Also the new version is terribly slow.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @Nazroud !

Yup! This functionality is still available. To do so, head over to your Accounting > Transactions page, press "Search" and enter your desired keyword(s). Be sure to press the enter key on your keyboard to begin the search. Once your transactions filter out, you can checkmark the "Select all" box at the top of the page, press the blue pen icon to bulk edit your selected transactions, and enter you desired changes. If your pages are slow, I suggest trying some browser and network troubleshooting steps.

edited April 6, 2021
  • BumblebeeBumblebee Member Posts: 1

Why does Wave limt the category list. I want to use Money in Transit

• KristenVKristenV Member Posts: 121 admin

Hi @Bumblebee , the Category list is limited and organized in order to prevent certain Categories from being incorrectly used on certain transaction types.
    As for the Money in Transit account, because this is an asset holding account, it would not be available as a Category for transactions unless the Category is a Transfer to/from the Money in Transit account.

• S_3koehl_designS_3koehl_design Member Posts: 1

I noticed that Wave is no longer automatically asking if I want to categorize similar transactions - is that feature no longer available?

For example: I go to categorize a $__ transaction from Portland Parking Services as a transit-parking expense. It used to say: Here are 10 other transactions like that one - want to categorize all as parking expense.

Please advise.
    Thank you!