Options

Please include a warning when using auto generated invoice numbers

thedanindangerthedanindanger Member Posts: 1

Referencing closed discussion here: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/204/recurring-invoice-auto-generated-invoice-number-issue

I almost had a client receive an invoice with a different client name in the auto generated invoice.

Wave will use the last invoice number for reoccurring invoices, NO MATTER WHICH CUSTOMER.

Their answer for two years has been "it would be bad for our record tracking".

This is a giant vulnerability for wave users, potentially leading to lawsuits due to confidentiality agreements.

It isn't something to be brushed off or taken lightly. Wave's service is great but this is a big problem.

They should either include a warning, deactivate the feature entirely, or take steps to fix the issue.

Comments

• Options
    ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @thedanindanger, thanks for reaching out in the Community! Wave does still auto populate invoice numbers, and we have no immediate plans to change that function.

I am a little bit unsure about the issue you mentioned though, invoice numbers auto populating should have no effect on which customers receive your invoices. Invoice numbers in Wave go off of what the previous invoice number was, not who the invoice was sent to. As long as your customer has been added correctly on the invoice there would be no security issue.

Please do let me know if I have misunderstood your point here, I would be happy to dig a bit deeper! :smile:

• Options
    SalvadorSollySalvadorSolly Member Posts: 1

Sorry to bring up a dead post, but since it's the first one I've found when searching for an answer to the same problem as OP, I thought I'd weigh in so an admin can clairfy.

Now that I know how Wave generates invoice numbers automatically, it helps me understand that I was doing this wrong. HOWEVER, it would have been nice to have this laid out more transparently.

When generating invoices for clients I was using [ClientA-01] as my general formula. This seemed to work fine at first, but after a while I noticed my invoices were being generated incorrectly. It would count up from the last number not taking into account any information about the string of text before it. So client a, will receive an auto-generated invoices number from [ClientC-09] or whichever client currently had the larger number at the end of the invoice number. THIS is how I was accidentally sending out client information from one client to another.

In my opinion, if text strings are not going to be taken into consideration they should not be a part of an auto-generated invoice number.

• Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @SalvadorSolly! Thanks very much for weighing in, and for giving your use-case as far as this scenario goes. I've marked this post for consideration in future iterations of the platform, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience that this causes you in the meantime.